Protien Shakes: Milk or Water?

Options
ericasturn
ericasturn Posts: 49 Member
Do you use a form of milk such as almond milk or water in your protien shakes? Is there a better nutritional way to go? I enjoy unsweetened almond milk, but have heard it is better to use water.

Replies

• Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    I use 1 cup of 2% milk and 5 ice cubes in the blender. It comes out really good
  • ShaunaMcMac
    ShaunaMcMac Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Skim milk... I couldn't handle water. If I have a bunch of cal left over I will even do homogenous milk (tastes like a milkshake!)
  • strum261
    strum261 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I tried water and yuk, I didn't like it, so I now use almond milk and it's delicious. You can also use almond milk, and some ice cubes to make a "milk shake" it's very tasty
  • massage_gal
    massage_gal Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I always use about 1/3 cup almond milk. It tastes SO good, I know I've heard that water is ideal, but I need the calcium anyway.
  • ShaunaMcMac
    ShaunaMcMac Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Do you use a form of milk such as almond milk or water in your protien shakes? Is there a better nutritional way to go? I enjoy unsweetened almond milk, but have heard it is better to use water.

Milk is healthy for you, but it really depends on your cal goals. If they are low you may need to stick with water or almond milk to not go over, but if you have room, do what ever tastes best. All options are healthy.
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    i use unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Love the flavor. Tried water but it was nasty.
  • tomich54
    tomich54 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Skim milk, thinking about trying almond milk after reading this! :wink:
  • nettasue35
    nettasue35 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I use skim milk. I have been thinking of trying the almond milk, but I'm scared I won't like it.
  • leanne0605
    leanne0605 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Skim milk
  • Aerosam
    Aerosam Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I only drink unsweetened soya milk as I'm allergic to dairy, I wonder what that would taste like in a protein shake?
  • usmc01462
    usmc01462 Posts: 1,944 Member
    Options
    Make sure you research the protein powder you are using Alot of the stuff is junk..
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Almond milk for me
  • THICKandFIT
    THICKandFIT Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I use 1 cup of unsweetened chocolate soy milk. yummy! I also throw in about 8 ice-cubes.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Make sure you research the protein powder you are using Alot of the stuff is junk..

What types you recommend?
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I use soymilk. Or I use nonfat dry milk and add needed water. I don't add milks as a nutritional benefit, per se. I use it for the taste and the creaminess. Protein powder with just water is way too bland or chalky for me.
  • Aerosam
    Aerosam Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I just ordered Maximucle Promax Diet, about 200cals per serving, £29 on amamzon.co.uk

Gonna give it a whirl and see how it goes!
  • chm2616
    chm2616 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    For breakfast, I use 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk/coconut milk. For a snack, I use water.
  • jpalocy77
    jpalocy77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    unsweetened almond milk here...like the creaminess it gives..make sure you use half of a banana..i think that it makes all the difference in the taste..
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Do you use a form of milk such as almond milk or water in your protien shakes?

I strictly just use milk. I used to use water but since I drink milk typically anyways and protein shakes make better shakes with milk, I go with milk now
    Is there a better nutritional way to go? I enjoy unsweetened almond milk, but have heard it is better to use water.

You can use almond milk. Its not really better to use one over the other. If you have the calories and macros to use milk, use milk. If you're running short on calories, skip the milk and go with water :)
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Enjoy pure silk almond unsweetened milk.