Eating more calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• missylectro
    missylectro Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    cookmtn wrote: »
    I see from your profile you only have 7 lbs to lose. It will go VERY slowly now. Large deficits will do more harm then good.

^^^the last 15 are the hardest to get off. I'm about to lower my calories again too to jump start things again but I refuse to go to 1200 again. It was five when I had to lose 70 pounds but I only have fifteen to go. Well, 4.8 to my original goal which is the high end of my healthy weight. I'll reassess after that goal is met.

They're not my last 15... I might want to lose more... but yeah it definitely is harder
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,180 Member
    Options
    As others have stated don't jump down to 1200. If you are going to reduce your calorie goal, try taking 100-200 calories off and see what happens in 4 weeks. Re-evaluate at that point.
  • missylectro
    Options
    As others have stated don't jump down to 1200. If you are going to reduce your calorie goal, try taking 100-200 calories off and see what happens in 4 weeks. Re-evaluate at that point.

Doing :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Well it won't let me quote you, but OP, consider only weighing. Measuring is okay for liquids. not for solids. 10 asparagus spears is neither weighing nor measuring. Your peanut butter could also be way more than you think it is (trust me, it's easy to think that you are spooning out 15g when you are really spooning out 25g).

Also "Home" and "homemade." Are these YOUR recipes? Or generic user entries?
    How did you weigh your chicken breast, cooked or raw? Your entry doesn't specify. And 1cup raw fresh veggies.... which veggies? 1 cup of spinach will not be the same as a cup of... idk, carrots. Are they packed in there? etc.

I dont' see why you have some solids weighed and others measured. Is it that much more difficult to weigh all solids? I weigh EVERYTHING. So overall, your logging is not tight enough. Start being more aware of your logging practices, along with making sure that a) the entries you use are valid (cross-check produce etc with websites like usda, skipthepie, etc), b) ensure you are using the correct entry for what you are logging (e.g. is your lean ground beef raw or cooked when you weigh it, and is the entry raw or cooked to match this? Also be aware that at least here in Alberta, EXTRA lean ground beef is the equivalent of LEAN ground beef on nutrition data websites; it has more fat).

Also, you are either not logging EVERYTHING EVERY day, or you are severely undereating on occasions. Either scenario affects your weekly average intake, which is what counts for weight loss. If you only log half your day then you have no way of knowing if you actually ate like 2600 calories instead of 1800.
  • missylectro
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Well it won't let me quote you, but OP, consider only weighing. Measuring is okay for liquids. not for solids. 10 asparagus spears is neither weighing nor measuring. Your peanut butter could also be way more than you think it is (trust me, it's easy to think that you are spooning out 15g when you are really spooning out 25g).

Also "Home" and "homemade." Are these YOUR recipes? Or generic user entries?
    How did you weigh your chicken breast, cooked or raw? Your entry doesn't specify. And 1cup raw fresh veggies.... which veggies? 1 cup of spinach will not be the same as a cup of... idk, carrots. Are they packed in there? etc.

I dont' see why you have some solids weighed and others measured. Is it that much more difficult to weigh all solids? I weigh EVERYTHING. So overall, your logging is not tight enough. Start being more aware of your logging practices, along with making sure that a) the entries you use are valid (cross-check produce etc with websites like usda, skipthepie, etc), b) ensure you are using the correct entry for what you are logging (e.g. is your lean ground beef raw or cooked when you weigh it, and is the entry raw or cooked to match this? Also be aware that at least here in Alberta, EXTRA lean ground beef is the equivalent of LEAN ground beef on nutrition data websites; it has more fat).

Also, you are either not logging EVERYTHING EVERY day, or you are severely undereating on occasions. Either scenario affects your weekly average intake, which is what counts for weight loss. If you only log half your day then you have no way of knowing if you actually ate like 2600 calories instead of 1800.

I don't weigh everything because I can't find them all in the database in grams.
    I weigh my meat before I cook it - raw.

Thanks for the tips tho. I guess I'll have to do my own research on the items I can't find the database.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Robbnva wrote: »
    Definitely do 1200 if you can, especially if 1700 isn't working for you. Stay above 1000 net cories imo

Don't listen to that.
    I don't know why not. That is basically what I have done and I have had plenty of success. Yes I realize this is an old post but I just saw your response today. Down 80lbs in less than 8 months. :smiley:
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Because it is too low, should not be done unless under medical supervision. Minimums for most women - 1200, men - 1800 (some say 1500, maybe so for older or shorter males). Below that is a very low calorie diet (VLCD) which certainly can work but needs to be done through a doctor and ideally with a dietitian to ensure you have sufficient nutrients and the correct supplementation.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Definitely do 1200 if you can, especially if 1700 isn't working for you. Stay above 1000 net cories imo

Don't listen to that.
    I don't know why not. That is basically what I have done and I have had plenty of success. Yes I realize this is an old post but I just saw your response today. Down 80lbs in less than 8 months. :smiley:

why go from 1700 to 1200…why not go to 1600 see what happens then go to 1500 see what happens etc…

I mean yea if you want to be skinny fat and lose a bunch of muscle…sure drop down from 1700 to 1200...
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Don't listen to that.

why go from 1700 to 1200…why not go to 1600 see what happens then go to 1500 see what happens etc…

I mean yea if you want to be skinny fat and lose a bunch of muscle…sure drop down from 1700 to 1200...

Right.