Food addiction, Over eating is very similar to Alcoholism and other addictions..

Options

Replies

• marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    yoovie wrote: »
    not exactly.

you can give up drinking.

you cant give up eating.

so its not like you can eliminate your triggers.

it's tougher than alcoholism.

with food addiction you have to train yourself to be less sensitive to those triggers. to be able to ignore them and still eat small amounts.

Imagine if alcoholics had to learn how to only drink half a drink a day? good lord.

They key is that you can learn how to do that...

An alcoholic can't period

Tougher? get a grip
    With food - you MUST learn how to do it. You can't give it up completely like alcohol and drugs. It's really not that hard to understand, unless you want to think the worst of those who struggle with disordered eating of any type.
  • emmabanks87
    emmabanks87 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I dont care what anyone says. overeating, stuffing your face, binge eating, emotional eating or whatever you call it, is an ADDICTION!!! when you love food and you are so determined to lose weight and get those abs you have always dreamt of....you need WILLPOWER! sometimes you can fight the urge to raid the biscuit tin or whatever is your vice but sadly other times, you have a voice in your head coming with all sorts of innocent reasons why you should give in!

I have certain times I need to eat during the day and seriously if for whatever reason I can't boy do I get angry and in such a crabby mood!!!! lol

The only difference between alcohol/drugs/smoking and food is, you can cut out drugs/alcohol and smoking, you dont need it!! I used to love alcohol but now I gave it the heave ho years ago! but you NEED FOOD to live. so much harder I think! cant cut food out of your life!!! :(

Yup well you keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.

I love food...but I wanted it bad enough...

As I said before when you get physically ill, have convuslions etc because you can't have your cookie than I will believe it's an addiction.

As for the mood swings sounds like a petulant teenager who is told no.

err im 27 thanks!! I meant my body is set into a certain routine when I like to eat (healthy meals, not crap) but if for whatever reason, boyfriend is late is a classic!! I get p***ed off because my blood sugar is low and my body is CRAVING food!!!

wont bother you with my situation but put it this way, I need to change my body in order to get the life ive always dreamt of, if not I will lose everything....even with that in my head, i still mess up my diet with overeating! ive had a lot of slip ups.

Besides an addiction is not a text book thing.....what about sex addicts????? I wonder if they get convuslions if they dont get their 'fix'??? and what about hoarders?? people who are 'addicted' to keeping there stuff??

all kinds of addictions with different kinds of reactions that you get when you cut it out
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    rieann84 wrote: »
    Are we really gonna argue about which one is WORSE? It's apples to oranges. And those advocating for the substance abuse side, please don't diminish the mental health aspect of an eating disorder or disordered view of food.

You all sound incredibly silly. "when you get physically ill because you couldn't have that whole pizza, let me know" ? Really?? Congrats, you win the martyr award.

Just because someone else's battle is different from yours doesn't make it any less important or any less crippling, for THEM.

^Agree 100%. Just because it's something you don't understand doesn't make it an "excuse."
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    not exactly.

you cant give up eating.

with food addiction you have to train yourself to be less sensitive to those triggers. to be able to ignore them and still eat small amounts.

Imagine if alcoholics had to learn how to only drink half a drink a day? good lord.

Tougher? get a grip

Im neither. I'm practicing empathy by conversing with people who deal with crap that I dont have to deal with so I can understand better.

go grip yourself.

• emmabanks87
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I dont care what anyone says. overeating, stuffing your face, binge eating, emotional eating or whatever you call it, is an ADDICTION!!! when you love food and you are so determined to lose weight and get those abs you have always dreamt of....you need WILLPOWER! sometimes you can fight the urge to raid the biscuit tin or whatever is your vice but sadly other times, you have a voice in your head coming with all sorts of innocent reasons why you should give in!

I have certain times I need to eat during the day and seriously if for whatever reason I can't boy do I get angry and in such a crabby mood!!!! lol

The only difference between alcohol/drugs/smoking and food is, you can cut out drugs/alcohol and smoking, you dont need it!! I used to love alcohol but now I gave it the heave ho years ago! but you NEED FOOD to live. so much harder I think! cant cut food out of your life!!! :(

As I said before when you get physically ill, have convuslions etc because you can't have your cookie than I will believe it's an addiction.

err im 27 thanks!! I meant my body is set into a certain routine when I like to eat (healthy meals, not crap) but if for whatever reason, boyfriend is late is a classic!! I get p***ed off because my blood sugar is low and my body is CRAVING food!!!

wont bother you with my situation but put it this way, I need to change my body in order to get the life ive always dreamt of, if not I will lose everything....even with that in my head, i still mess up my diet with overeating! ive had a lot of slip ups.

Besides an addiction is not a text book thing.....what about sex addicts????? I wonder if they get convuslions if they dont get their 'fix'??? and what about hoarders?? people who are 'addicted' to keeping there stuff??

all kinds of addictions with different kinds of reactions that you get when you cut it out
    What exactly would be considered crap?

well you know, cookies, cakes, ice cream etc. only said that as i was being accused of acting like a teenager who got crabby when her mummy and daddy told her she cant have a cookie! which isnt the case! :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    not exactly.

you cant give up eating.

Tougher? get a grip

Im neither. I'm practicing empathy by conversing with people who deal with crap that I dont have to deal with so I can understand better.

go grip yourself.

my grip if fine thanks...I only used mixed grip on a really high DL probably over 160...

so this empathy you are practicing is that cognitive or affective?
  • emmabanks87
    Options
    not exactly.

you cant give up eating.

completely agree!!!! its easier to cut something out completely then to learn to have less of it BUT before anyone has a go I know its not easy for alcoholics....ive only just learned that one of my closest members of my family have had very bad news due to problems with alcohol
  • yoovie
    Options
    not exactly.

you cant give up eating.

Tougher? get a grip

go grip yourself.

my grip if fine thanks...I only used mixed grip on a really high DL probably over 160...

look I said that it seemed tougher to me to quit drinking than to quit eating because you cant quit eating.

jesus fraking christ.

why do you want to argue. You jumped in and said something sharp to me, I responded with an explanation and you are still pulling my hair and trying to get me to fight on the playground with you.

and obviously its cognitive, since Im saying it might be harder to quit something that you cant completely quit.

and i hope someday youll see 160 DL as a warm up weight.

• emmabanks87
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

What exactly would be considered crap?

well you know, cookies, cakes, ice cream etc. only said that as i was being accused of acting like a teenager who got crabby when her mummy and daddy told her she cant have a cookie! which isnt the case! :)

People can still have those foods and lose weight...so no, it's not crap.

sigh I wasnt saying that!!!! please read my op about it......i was saying I crave all kinds of food and not just stuff full of sugar, wasnt going on about losing weight!!!!!!

ive noticed some (not all) are super mega quick to jump on you and snap!!!!! wow whatever happened to good old fashioned help and support??? might just take my cookie full of crappy sugar and sit in the corner and sulk like a teenager!!! hahahaha :)
  • SezxyStef
    edited October 2014
    Options
    not exactly.

you cant give up eating.

Tougher? get a grip

go grip yourself.

look I said that it seemed tougher to me to quit drinking than to quit eating because you cant quit eating.

jesus fraking christ.

why do you want to argue. You jumped in and said something sharp to me, I responded with an explanation and you are still pulling my hair and trying to get me to fight on the playground with you.

and obviously its cognitive, since Im saying it might be harder to quit something that you cant completely quit.

and i hope someday youll see 160 DL as a warm up weight.

actually you said it was tougher...not that it seemed tougher to you...as if you had experience with it...which you don't.

now calm the language there are those who could find that quite offensive...(watch the flag below)

If you found that sharp from me...wow. Okay...and I ask a question about your empathy how is that arguing? it was a simple question as with this response certianly feels like affective...wow
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    1778756-oh_look_its_this_thread_again.jpg
    Some of you really need to get some new material, I feel like ~50% of the posts so far could have been copy-pasted from previous addiction threads.

How does it end?
  • yoovie
    Options
    With alcoholism, you are allowed to remove every shred of it from your home.
    With food addiction, you have to keep it in your home, right there.
    How is that not tougher?
    How, also, is tougher not subjective?
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I you have a problem with alcohol,you stop drinking.
    However if you have a problem with food you can't stop eating.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    lorib642 wrote: »
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    1778756-oh_look_its_this_thread_again.jpg
    Some of you really need to get some new material, I feel like ~50% of the posts so far could have been copy-pasted from previous addiction threads.

How does it end?

usually with those of us who believe it's not an addiction giving up and moving on to help others who have the need for help as it gets a bit boring going back and forth because those who believe one thing won't consider anothers point of view...due to various reasons, and that's fine...a good Solid debate is always welcome and usually will continue but with no evidence to prove you can be addicted to food it's not that solid.

And now with tonnes of flags being thrown about for abuse etc..I mean I got two in the last 10mins without even cursing or calling names...Gosh how many would I have if I had cursed....

• emmabanks87
    Options
    With alcoholism, you are allowed to remove every shred of it from your home.
    With food addiction, you have to keep it in your home, right there.
    How is that not tougher?
    How, also, is tougher not subjective?

agree!

but lets not forget its still tough for people addicted to alcohol too. ive got plenty of people in my life who is affected by it!! not nice to see :(
  • shellecollins
    shellecollins Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Directed at the original poster:
    I had this same realization when I went to a meeting with my sister! The steps can fit many outlets in life, it's amazing! I disn't take the time to read all this thread, because quite frankly people that haven't done the research/experienced the illness of addiction don't understand. So many times the addict wants to stop and for whatever multitude of reasons, a majority of the time has nothing to do with "laziness or lack of self control". I'm glad to see someone else had this realization! Hey- it works it you work it!!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    What I never understand about these threads is that only physical addictions seem to count for some people, yet many people/organizations recognize psychological addictions as well. But to the extent an activity such as gambling can be classified as a psychological addiction because of how it makes people feel, why can overconsumption of certain foods not be properly classified as the same sort of psychological addiction? And to that end, even some substances like alcohol can be a psychological addiction (although there can be physical addiction there as well). And at the end of the day, anyone calling it an addiction is just in other words saying it's difficult for them to control their eating; nitpicking the semantics of physical vs. psychological addiction seems pointless.

But who knows, maybe these same people just say to gambling addicts "pfft, get a real addiction like heroin." :p