Remove treats from home or just try to improve my willpower?

Options
124»

Replies

• LiveLoveRunFar
    LiveLoveRunFar Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I left the frozen pies in the freezer...I don't see them. Everything else I threw in the trash - a LOT of stuff (2 garbage bags)....but it made a statement in my mind. I don't buy it so I have no temptation. My mom can't even be in the store around it, she has to avoid the aisles, if it's anywhere in the house she eats it, and eats some more , and eats some more. Even after 5 years of healthy eating she still has that downfall. I on the other hand, after two weeks of no refined sugar, flour, pasta etc., can easily pass it up, the craving is out of my system. So everyone is different. You'll know .... if you are someone who can't stop eating it after a few bites...you might be someone who can't be around it period.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't be consuming cookies and candy, even if you're not on a diet. I'd say get rid of them.

Why not?

• SpecialKH
    SpecialKH Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Although I have a slim and fit daughter around, I only keep treats that she likes. She loves ice cream; I'm more of a muncher so I avoid having cookies around.

Personally I have found it's better to not have it around or I will be tempted to grab it out of convenience. Now I can tolerate being around it better than before. I think I lose the "taste" for sweet things because I won't crave them very much but then once I have some, I can't stop thinking about them. So I found it was better for me to just avoid them and if I do allow a treat it needs to be a single portion I purchase. I can't buy a pack of cookies and only eat two. I have to buy just two from the bakery.

That's the thing about weight loss - everyone has to find what works for them. It's a very individual thing.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'd rather just have healthy food in my fridge and pantry, and save the treats for when we're out. I find it more satisfying to enjoy something delicious at a restaurant or dessert café once in awhile rather than scarf down a bag of cookies at home (which is what I would do). Know yourself and don't set yourself up for failure. Set yourself up to succeed.