Gained 7 lbs Since Yesterday Following Gallbladder Surgery

Options
13»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,178 Member
    Options
    Likely a dead spot in posts.... but I had my gallbladder out yesterday after three grueling attacks in five days... I truly couldn’t eat anything. Went in weighing 181 and came out at 190; I was thinking the scale must be broke because there’s no way they remove an organ, and I’m heavier afterwards... Right?
    Well, glad I found this cause up was down, black was white, and dogs and cats were living with each other... I’m down to half that gain this AM, 186.

Cheers

Possible the rest will drop off a little more slowly, but it will drop back off, no worries.

I had my gallbladder out during my weight loss process, and saw that temporary gain.

One suggestion: I'd recommend eating at or close to maintenance calories for a few weeks, until you're well healed . . . especially since you're coming off a period where you couldn't eat. Nutrition and calories are needed to help your body repair from the surgery. Weight loss can wait for a bit, so you can bring your strongest, healthiest self to the process. Right now, healing is job #1.

I wasn't smart enough to follow that advice, and came to wish I had. (Fortunately, I didn't have major problems with healing, but strength and energy suffered very noticeably after a couple of weeks of calorie restriction while healing.)

Best wishes!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Wait at least 2 weeks after surgery to worry about your weight, and you don’t really know until about 6 weeks at least. Just take care and heal.