Do you like mushrooms?

Options
If not, how do you feel about casseroles that are cooked with Cream of Mushroom soup?

I've heard others who don't like mushrooms say they just pick them out and it's fine.

What do you think?

Signed,

Feeling Guilty for making this http://allrecipes.com/recipe/jennies-heavenly-slow-cooker-chicken/ when I know my boyfriend doesn't like mushrooms

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Another alternative is to just switch out another canned cream soup, e.g. cream of celery soup.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't and avoid recipes using cream of mushrooms.
  • pattyjoshockley
    pattyjoshockley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here know how to identify mushrooms? i think I have Maitake/hen of the woods growing in my yard on an old oak tree stump.
  • 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Gahhh... hate mushrooms! I think it goes back to the creepy little boy next door who used to throw them at me when I was 4. I don't like the texture or the taste, and I'm constantly mindful that they're fungus and that just doesn't appeal to me. I'll pick them off a pizza or out of a salad if I have to, but I'd rather they weren't there at all. If it's something like mushroom-based gravy, I'll pass... I'd rather eat my turkey/potatoes/etc. dry as a bone. I once sat across from a colleague in a restaurant who was eating a mushroom burger... a great big huge hunk of mushroom where normal people would have a hamburger patty... and I almost gagged.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    I hate mushrooms, I blame it on reading Babar as a small child (king of the elephants eats a mushroom, turns green and dies). :s I know it's irrational but they're slimy and don't seem to taste like much so I don't feel that I'm missing out.

I will eat casseroles with cream of mushroom soup if someone else is cooking since it's very small bits of mushroom and I can pretend they're not there. I agree though that you can sub in cream of celery, or cream of whatever.
  • itsfeast4dabeast
    itsfeast4dabeast Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I forced myself for years to eat mushrooms - hated the taste and texture. Over time I have learned to tolerate them. They were always in dishes that were readily available at family meals and it was quicker to eat them than to pick them out :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I had a BF who claimed to be allergic to mushrooms. He told me this after like a year of dating - I cook with mushrooms all the time and he never noticed or had a reaction. He was an idiot though.

Looks like another cream of whatever soup would probably go well with the recipe...
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I <3 mushrooms
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I wish I'd done more research. In the grocery isle I almost picked up cream of chicken instead, and later today (I made the sauce and assembled crock last night, just popped it in the cooker from the fridge this morning) I found an almost identical recipe with cream of chicken. If he doesn't like it I'll do that in the future.

It's good to know that some people will and some people won't.

I doubled the recipe so there's 2 blocks of cream cheese and 2 Italian seasoning packets, so hopefully the shroomies won't be too over-bearing.

Patty, you might want to try to find a local (or non-local) "Wildcrafting" page. Wildcrafters are great at identification. Make sure to photograph the mushroom and the underside, that's very important for identification.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Like is not strong enough to describe my emotions about mushrooms.

But, if I didn't like them, I'd substitute cream of celery or cream of chicken soup.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Love those tasty little fungi
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I LOVE mushrooms. I can't get enough and will often eat huge servings of them and refuse to share.

But yeah, substituting soup should work for future...and I love mushrooms and have never noticed them in cream of mushroom...too small.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    Depends on how they're cooked.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Does anyone here know how to identify mushrooms? i think I have Maitake/hen of the woods growing in my yard on an old oak tree stump.

I wouldn't trust anyone on the internet to answer that kind of question... many edible mushrooms are easily confused with deadly varieties... get an expert who can examine the actual mushrooms (you often have to look at more than just the fruiting body of the mushroom to be sure) who is also an expert on wild fungus to tell you.

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I incorporate mushrooms into as many dishes and sauces as I can. I don't usually take a shortcut and use canned soups. High in sodium, Low in taste.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I like mushrooms, but it definitely was an acquired taste, a relationship that I had to work at and we still have our rocky patches (omlettes).

Cream of mushroom soup on the other hand, makes me want to yack and was one of the reasons I despised mushrooms as a child. Just seeing a can of Heinz or Campbell's mushroom soup makes me shudder. I wouldn't be able to pick the mushroom bits out of it, because the evilness will have seeped into every morsel in the dish.

We don't go in for condensed soup based casseroles as much as the US where I live, but my husband loves chicken casserole made with soup. He has to go to his mother's to get it.

As others have said, cream of celery may be a good substitute. But not for me. Celery has no business existing full stop. But you're not cooking for me, but your fortunate boyfriend.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I love them, but only if they're cooked. I also love cream of mushroom soup...but you can pretty readily substitute any "cream of" soup for mushroom (chicken, celery, etc)
  • rgf95
    rgf95 Posts: 2,513 Member
    Options
    In the wild they may kill you. Cultivated they grow in horse manure. In food they are slimy. Food value is negligible. Butter tastes good even without the 'shoom. Guess I just do not get it but am intolerant of them anyhow. Black truffles, on the other hand are fantastic!
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I love mushrooms. My mom always used cream of mushroom soup when making gravies, a roast or different casseroles.