Do you like mushrooms?

Options

Replies

• BrutalWarPig
    BrutalWarPig Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Nope and mushrooms, better not touch any of my food.
  • SyzygyX
    SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I love 'em, but my partner hates 'em. It's one of our major disagreements in life. Usually if a recipe calls for cream of mushroom, I sub in cream of celery, and the difference in end results in negligible. Good luck!
  • cmpilgrim
    cmpilgrim Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I love mushrooms! I don't eat them very often because I'm the only one that likes them, but still.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I love mushrooms but I think canned cream of mushroom soup is disgusting. My husband is begging me to make that green bean casserole for Thanksgiving but I absolutely refuse.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I only like fresh mushrooms that have not been cooked. They also have to be chopped up and mixed in with something - or forget it. Canned/cooked mushrooms are slimy and spongy... ewwww
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Uh, mushrooms. I hate them, I have no rational reason to hate them, I just hate them. For the longest time I would flat out refuse to eat anything that had a mushroom near it, now that I'm older I have no issue picking mushrooms off of a pizza or something.

As for cream of mushroom soup in dishes? I guess I haven't thought about it, I avoid condensed cream soups like no other, if a recipe uses it I find a recipe that doesn't, saves on sodium and generally much tastier. And if I can't find a recipe substitute I can generally alter it to get the same effect (saute something with flour, then add milk) is a good starting point.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Best food ever! Favourite breakfast sauteed mushrooms, one piece of whole wheat and two fried or poached eggs. Dinner - 5oz of rib steak done medium rare and smothered in sauteed mushrooms and onions - no other sides.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I love mushrooms. My mom hated mushrooms. While she would pick them off of pizza, she would also use canned cream of mushroom soup in recipes. I suppose maybe the pie es were small enough not to bother her so much.
    I don't use canned soups in cooking very often. I either avoid those recipes or make my own from scratch. You can find substitute soup recipes on the internet and they aren't very complicated.
    http://centercutcook.com/cream-soup-substitute/
  • fitfabforties
    fitfabforties Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I HATE them!!!!.....anything that grows in *kitten* should never be eaten.....just sayin
  • shutch2112
    shutch2112 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I think mushrooms are delicious. :)
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I like mushrooms. Coincidentally, my mom asked me whether I liked mushrooms today. I'm a little worried about her memory, considering she's only known me for as long as I've existed and only served me about a billion of the things over the last three decades.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    If not, how do you feel about casseroles that are cooked with Cream of Mushroom soup?

I've heard others who don't like mushrooms say they just pick them out and it's fine.

What do you think?

Signed,

Feeling Guilty for making this http://allrecipes.com/recipe/jennies-heavenly-slow-cooker-chicken/ when I know my boyfriend doesn't like mushrooms

You can sub any cream-a-soup-flavor for the cream of mushroom.
  • marciaholland77
    marciaholland77 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I love mushrooms. When I have a veggie pizza, I'll always have mushrooms on it. Don't miss the meat at all!
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms are good value. You can eat a swag of mushrooms and they only have a few calories. I eat them every day when there are any in my fridge. But I don't eat canned mushroom soup because of the other things that are in the can (salt, preservatives, colouring, thickeners etc).
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    If not, how do you feel about casseroles that are cooked with Cream of Mushroom soup?

I've heard others who don't like mushrooms say they just pick them out and it's fine.

What do you think?

Signed,

Feeling Guilty for making this http://allrecipes.com/recipe/jennies-heavenly-slow-cooker-chicken/ when I know my boyfriend doesn't like mushrooms

Dear Feeling Guilty,

Mushrooms are well known for their value in the nutrition world. Please treat your boyfriend different then the standard mushroom. Do not keep him in the dark and covered in poop. He shall be eternally grateful.

Signed,

Mushroom Lover
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Like mushrooms. Sauteed or roasted. In a stir fry, side for steak, even stuffed.
    Cream of mushroom or whatever soup. No. Sure quick and easy but no flavor there except saltiness. The only exception for me is using it in my husbands famous tuna noodle casserole. I must admit, it is really good.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Love any kind of mushrooms. Some of them are good sources of potassium, or vitamin D, or iron, depending on variety. We gather morels, field mushrooms, and a few other kinds and cook or dry them (yes, we know the safe ones - husband was the on call guy for the local hospital when they had cases of mushroom ingestion, usually small children).
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I don't like them raw, like them cooked. My husband "hates" them. He never seems to notice when I cook with cream of mushroom soup, or actually chop them finely and put them into casseroles/stews/pie fillings heehee :smiling_imp:
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Love those tasty little fungi

Yep luv the srooms !
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    I HATE them!!!!.....anything that grows in *kitten* should never be eaten.....just sayin

Oh man :'(