15% body fat male

Options
Hello I had my body fat percentage measured yesterday with my trainer before my workout, and it came out at 15%. At what point will I be able to see my abs? I still have some flab around my chest. Thanks.
My stats are as listed:
19 y/o
5 ft 7"
154 lbs

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about a specific body fat percentage but the conventional wisdom is around 8-10% for males.

I too am 5'7" and at 148lbs I am starting to see my abs. If I flex I can see them easily, otherwise they hide. Suspect I need to knock off a few more lbs before I really get there.
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    So would I have to lose about 10 lbs with most of it being fat for me to see something? I'd really like the remaining flab to disappear.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    8-12% depending on your genetics.

Also, unless you had a Dexa or a Bodpod test, I wouldn't rely on the numbers the trainer gave you.
  • glevinso
    Options
    So would I have to lose about 10 lbs with most of it being fat for me to see something? I'd really like the remaining flab to disappear.

I guess it depends on your build. I have a typical triathlete's build - reasonably muscled for long distance endurance work both upper and lower body, but also a little "extra" weight I put on from drinking too much beer during hard training blocks.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    100% agree with this!
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Also, unless you had a Dexa or a Bodpod test, I wouldn't rely on the numbers the trainer gave you.

you say you have "flab" on your chest and your abs, so i'd guess that 15% is wrong or you're way too critical of your physique.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

or hydrostatic weighing.

• glevinso
    Options
    From what I understand the Bodpod isn't really that much more accurate than calipers. Dexa, however, would get you very close.

For what its worth I am aiming for 145 or so, but am afraid to go much lower as I might get slower. People already tell me I look gaunt at 148, but I know I have a little more of that "extra stuff" to get rid of.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

or hydrostatic weighing.

Yea, that one too. ;)
  • codsterlaing95
    codsterlaing95 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    So guys...145 or 140 lbs? What should I have my sights set on?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    even those methods are going to be plus or minus a few (or more) percentage points.

I dont really see much value in measuring BF% (because the measurements are so subjective), and even less in asking a question like this.

if you reach a certain number where you expect to see abs, and you do not, it could be pretty frustrating.

it will come when it comes. even if there were exact numbers, knowing them wouldnt really help you get there any faster. just put in the hard work and be paitent.

• Hornsby
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    From what I understand the Bodpod isn't really that much more accurate than calipers. Dexa, however, would get you very close.

Really? I've always heard they are as accurate as hydrostatic weighing.

• glevinso
    Options

If visible abs are your goal, forget a weight and just keep working until you get there.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I could say what is on my paper for bod pod but of course they are bias.

• Hornsby
    Options
    I think the question really should be....are you lifting heavy?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

How about ditching the scale and basing it off the mirror? It really depends on your build. I'm a female and mine show at higher body fat because they have a lot of volume.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

I am the same height as OP. I pray I do not have to get that small to see abs.

• Hornsby
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

I could say what is on my paper for bod pod but of course they are bias.

Agreed.

• glevinso
    Options

I don't know about the OP but the heaviest thing I lift with any regularity is my bike. From the ground, to the car rack. About 18lbs.

I also have been known to do 12oz and 16oz curls, but each rep the weight gets lighter.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm supposedly at 9.7% from my last check, and while I definitely see (and feel) abs there, they aren't anywhere near really defined. They're getting better with lifting, It's a combination of muscle and not much fat to hide it.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I agree - if visual results are what your goal is, why worry about a number? Work towards what you want to see in the mirror.

The only thing I really use %BF for is trending body composition (am I gaining/losing fat or muscle) and calculating caloric needs. For those purposes, a simple bathroom scale with BIA is good enough.