Females and Weights

Options
1235»

Replies

• iCupCakeNZ
    iCupCakeNZ Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    After reading all of your comments I feel so blessed that there is an entire community out here that can help with the feed back!!

Currently I'm not doing a program, I was doing a progressive weight lifting that a trainer at the gym suggested to me. I use the barbell at the moment and I'm taking it slowly because I'm really new to this.

Currently I do
    15reps with -2.5kg each side
    30 second break (uses to add on)
    12 reps each side 2.5kg +1kg
    30 second break (remove the 1kg)
    10 reps 5kg each side

I do that twice per exercise and usually go for atleast an hour in the gym followed by 20 minutes cardio to warm down.

I've seen a lot of you mention New Rules of Lifting for Woman so I may look into that, as well as the iPhone app stronglift :D
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    iCupCakeNZ wrote: »
    After reading all of your comments I feel so blessed that there is an entire community out here that can help with the feed back!!

Currently I'm not doing a program, I was doing a progressive weight lifting that a trainer at the gym suggested to me. I use the barbell at the moment and I'm taking it slowly because I'm really new to this.

Currently I do
    15reps with -2.5kg each side
    30 second break (uses to add on)
    12 reps each side 2.5kg +1kg
    30 second break (remove the 1kg)
    10 reps 5kg each side

I do that twice per exercise and usually go for atleast an hour in the gym followed by 20 minutes cardio to warm down.

I've seen a lot of you mention New Rules of Lifting for Woman so I may look into that, as well as the iPhone app stronglift :D

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/560459-stronglifts-5x5-summary

read this link as well for strong lifts.

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who suggested following a program. You're going to get better, faster results following a proven program. I like Stronglifts because I could keep track of it in my head, and I like a routine/doing the same thing every session. Eventually I started pursuing long-distance running, so I switched to 5/3/1 so that I didn't have to squat as much. I've been running this program for almost a year now, and am very happy with it.

Also, nail your form. Take the time now at the lighter weights to get it right. I had my squat all the way up to 220, and something just didn't feel quite right. After consulting with my trainer, I've had to deload my squat to work on some form issues that I didn't realize I had. I wish I would've nailed that part of my form before letting my weights get so heavy.
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    TravelsWithHuckleberry Posts: 955 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My weight on the scale is slow, but I lost 56.5" in 2 months.

Damn! How is that even possible? I must be doing something wrong -- I've lost less than 6 inches total in 2 months. Can you tell us more about your routine?

• maybebaby34
    maybebaby34 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    crabada wrote: »
    My weight on the scale is slow, but I lost 56.5" in 2 months.

Damn! How is that even possible? I must be doing something wrong -- I've lost less than 6 inches total in 2 months. Can you tell us more about your routine?

I really not sure how it is happening. My diary is open if you want to see how/what I eat. I do a 4 day split. To be honest I dont even do cardio. I am hoping someone can tell me when my muscle gain will be over powered by fat loss on the scale... inches are awsome...but I think seeing a lower number on the scale would be a nice change. 8/2-today only 12# loss but 58" idk...I will say I measure arms, chest, belly, waist, hips, thigh, & calfs to get that number though. So I would imagine you would see a high number when adding all those together too. :)
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    My measurements are for neck, bicep, chest, waist, hips, thigh, calf -- only one limb though, not both. Am I doing it wrong?
  • maybebaby34
    maybebaby34 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    My measurements are for neck, bicep, chest, waist, hips, thigh, calf -- only one limb though, not both. Am I doing it wrong?
    Hell if I know! :blush: I add both biceps, in my mind I did loose on both. Right? I never did neck. Guess there is a reason, but I chose my fattest parts. The parts I wanted to see shrink. I was going to skip calf, bc they were super muscle to begin with. But they are changing too. I am no professional. But I think our genetics have alot to do with how our muscles change & grow. I bet we could do exactly the same thing and see different results. I also think you either see pounds or inches. Not the best of both...
    To be honest I have no clue. I read, google, ask, & at times cry. It is all so confusing! I eat at a deficit and gain. But EVERYONE say it is impossible. Well...this is me, how I am changing. Is it perfect? Hell no! Am I happy? I try to be! But I still get confused and frustrated just like everyone else. If they say they dont...I would call their bluff!
    You will find your way. If you like your way, do it! All that really matters is YOU in the end. :)
  • iCupCakeNZ
    iCupCakeNZ Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hell if I know! :blush: I add both biceps, in my mind I did loose on both. Right? I never did neck. Guess there is a reason, but I chose my fattest parts. The parts I wanted to see shrink. I was going to skip calf, bc they were super muscle to begin with. But they are changing too. I am no professional. But I think our genetics have alot to do with how our muscles change & grow. I bet we could do exactly the same thing and see different results. I also think you either see pounds or inches. Not the best of both...
    To be honest I have no clue. I read, google, ask, & at times cry. It is all so confusing! I eat at a deficit and gain. But EVERYONE say it is impossible. Well...this is me, how I am changing. Is it perfect? Hell no! Am I happy? I try to be! But I still get confused and frustrated just like everyone else. If they say they dont...I would call their bluff!
    You will find your way. If you like your way, do it! All that really matters is YOU in the end. :)

This is the best thing i've read all day <3
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Former cardio queen checking in! I used to run 6 days/week with very sporadic weight training. I always knew lifting was a good thing to do, but I didn't want to get bulky. LOL

I met my guy just over 5 years ago. He was really into lifting, and he got me into lifting heavy. We work out together on the weekends, which I think is a really cool aspect of our relationship. Now I do cardio 2x/week and lift 5x/week. I think I look better now at 46 years old than I did 10 years ago when I was at my lightest running weight. :)