No strength, can't do cardio, and I need to lose and get strong! Begging for answers!

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    Strength isn't a blessing bestowed by magic. Strength is built. And everyone starts from where they're at when they decide to start!

With your doctor's advice, select some strength-building exercises or a program, and get at it. Some months from now you'll no longer be able to say that your strength is nothing or that you're ashamed because of it.

all of this.

Well, unless you're a nord.
  • Jbarbo01
    Jbarbo01 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I would stick to walking, elliptical trainer ( if you can get to gym), cycling, or swimming. 2 to 3 times a week for 20-30 minutes and work out briskly. Add in some light body weight exercises, like supermans, wall push ups, sit ups, very shallow squats, and tricep dips. Do as many as you can, so many people think they need to do tons of reps to see results but you can do only a few of each of those exercise and get muscular endurance and strength gains depending on your fitness level. Once you start feeling comfortable with those things you can add in light weights like 3-5 lbs and so on. I would also try some very gentle yoga to get you started thats not more than 30 minutes.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Lose by diet alone, but what the others said it is impreative that you do any weight loss in conjuncction with your Dr who can refer you to a physio who will be used to devising exercises for people in your situation. Its importnat you do it safely.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Jbarbo01 wrote: »
    I would stick to walking, elliptical trainer ( if you can get to gym), cycling, or swimming. 2 to 3 times a week for 20-30 minutes and work out briskly. Add in some light body weight exercises, like supermans, wall push ups, sit ups, very shallow squats, and tricep dips. Do as many as you can, so many people think they need to do tons of reps to see results but you can do only a few of each of those exercise and get muscular endurance and strength gains depending on your fitness level. Once you start feeling comfortable with those things you can add in light weights like 3-5 lbs and so on. I would also try some very gentle yoga to get you started thats not more than 30 minutes.

Are you a medical professional suggesting this? Or did you miss the whole cardiac issue at hand? Are you telling someone with potentially dangerous heart issues to indulge in steady state cardio at a "brisk" pace?
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I too am unable to do much in the way of exercise. I have 2 herniated disk in my neck and 3 in my lower back along with degenerative disk disease. Which means I can slip a disk when i sneeze (grrr) I also have a small aneurysm in my internal carotid artery. So I am very limited to what i can do. I live in chronic pain, sitting, standing, laying, walking, it all hurts. I have been going to the gym and treading water and doing kick board laps. (funny, this is the only time I am not in so much pain) I am not working up a sweat or getting my heart rate anywhere near where it needs to be to be considered cardio. I get the dirty looks from the hard bodies as they plow past me but I have been losing weight just by eating a deficit and treading water... I know I won't have that tight body but i will lose weight and at least be healthy. LIKE OTHERS HAVE SAID, DON'T DO ANYTHING WITHOUT CONSULTING YOUR DOCTOR FIRST!! I thought it was no big deal to lift 5lb weights and unbeknownst to me, i was causing more damage to my neck... so please please please pass everything through your DR, even the smallest of things!

Good luck!!!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight by diet alone. Eat at a deficit and you will lose.

but you wont be reshaping your body or getting stronger.

• yoovie
    Options
    Instead of picking up weights and killing your back more like people are suggesting, talk to your doctor and ask if you can do yoga or Pilates. After all, these exercises still strengthen your body and they're done on the floor. And continue walking slowly, that helps too. But don't forget to talk with your doctor. :smile:

we arent telling her to go to a powerlifting competition, most dumbbells weigh less than your purse.

you can also get a feel over time as far as who is injured and who is clinging to an old injury as an excuse.

If your doctor says you can lift your purse, then you can lift a dumbbell.

When he tells you to stop carrying around a purse, then you should probably also stay in bed.

• yoovie
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Jbarbo01 wrote: »

Are you a medical professional suggesting this? Or did you miss the whole cardiac issue at hand? Are you telling someone with potentially dangerous heart issues to indulge in steady state cardio at a "brisk" pace?

maybe her version of brisk isnt very brisk?

• dbmata
    Options
    also there's that whole thing about how proper strength training strengthens your back. :)
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    Instead of picking up weights and killing your back more like people are suggesting, talk to your doctor and ask if you can do yoga or Pilates. After all, these exercises still strengthen your body and they're done on the floor. And continue walking slowly, that helps too. But don't forget to talk with your doctor. :smile:

we arent telling her to go to a powerlifting competition, most dumbbells weigh less than your purse.

you can also get a feel over time as far as who is injured and who is clinging to an old injury as an excuse.

When he tells you to stop carrying around a purse, then you should probably also stay in bed.

Not everybody needs to lift. Especially with a bad back. Maybe cuz you're fit already (I'm assuming cuz of your picture), and cuz you've never experienced a bad back, you can't understand that. Even a purse can make your back hurt, and I personally know that. Not everybody is as strong as you.
  • dbmata
    Options

Not everybody needs to lift. Especially with a bad back. Maybe cuz you're fit already (I'm assuming cuz of your picture), and cuz you've never experienced a bad back, you can't understand that. Even a purse can make your back hurt, and I personally know that. Not everybody is as strong as you.
    lulz.

I had a bad car accident, couldn't walk for three months, bad back injuries.

Weight lifting was used to rehab my back. Lifting will strengthen an injured back, and protect it from becoming weak, frail, and poor.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    Can you carry your purse now too? :mrgreen:
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I can't plank at all. Can you do strength exercises without straining your heart? I am really out of shape so I do exercises at home just using my body weight. I picked a couple from nerdfitness that I knew how to do. Once you get stronger you can add weights and change up the exercises.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Everyone works within their own limitations. Lots of fit people struggle with the idea of staying within their physical limits and only doing things that are safe for them to do. You're definitely not the only person with these questions. You do need to see your doctor to find out what your limitations are and what is safe for you to do right now. Over-doing it and hurting yourself is NEVER a good idea. You could be risking your health in a very real way if you do something that isn't safe for you to do.

Stop thinking in terms of what is "normal" or what you "should" be able to do. You can do what you can do, and there are people who start at a lower level than you. Browse through the Success Stories forum and take note of the people who just started out by walking slowly for very small amounts of time. That may or may not be okay for you to do, but if your doctor says it is, start there.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    As others have said.

Please talk to your cardiologist and get a thorough run-down of any limitations due to your cardiac issue. If you're cleared for some exercise, get him/her to refer you to a Physical Therapist who can put together an exercise plan.
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a doctor is your best choice right now. Without that, I wouldn't do more than walk at a normal pace and watch what you eat.
  • yoovie
    edited October 2014
    Options

I spent 4 years in physical therapy learning how to walk again after being crushed by a semi and I still have major issues getting from point A to point B.

Im not spouting off at the face telling people to hurt themselves. Im also not fit. But thanks for the profiling. In your opinion, Im in shape, so I must not have a clue what Im talking about.

I think that sometimes the best way to overcome issues with your body is to make it stronger and YES i am saying all of this from my experience.

lifting weights helped me realign so many problem areas and increase my strength enough to be balanced and normalize how I walk, be able to sleep through the night and stand up straight.

• yoovie
    Options
    expletive. gesture.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Cortelli wrote: »
    Strength isn't a blessing bestowed by magic. Strength is built. And everyone starts from where they're at when they decide to start!

With your doctor's advice, select some strength-building exercises or a program, and get at it. Some months from now you'll no longer be able to say that your strength is nothing or that you're ashamed because of it.

all of this.

Well, unless you're a nord.

A what?
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    If your heart rate is that high on a brisk walk, you really need to talk to your doc. There are drugs available to keep your HR in line and then maybe you can start thinking about other stuff after that.