Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Spam or Abuse points.

Replies

• shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    I have FIVE abuse points and one spam point. /proud. You know you're doing something right when you provoke emotion in others. :)
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,059 Member
    shai74 wrote: »
    I have FIVE abuse points and one spam point. /proud. You know you're doing something right when you provoke emotion in others. :)

I feel like these points are eventually going to become a game or source of pride for people, haha.
    "You have -48 points? Well, I have -94!"
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    I love spam.... if you fry it up...and then fry some eggs in the pan.....its the best.... oh, be sure a put a little hotsauce on it...your choice...
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,009 Member
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    You click that little bell then choose "All Notifications" and you can see it. I would like to see who reported me for what post. It's really not fair that I've offended someone and I don't know who or why, takes the fun out of it.

yeah, i saw that. i was just confused how people in this thread knew when a thread had spam or flags all over the place. i just see where i can see if i have any notifications, but how do people see this for other people?

If a post is flagged, the number of flags will show under the posters avatar right next to the flag button.

edit: example -
    p3b8gy4kkx5x.jpg

Then if you click the flag icon, you can see what other users have flagged it as. In this case, this was the OP in a thread. It has 3 spam flags and 2 abuse flags.

You think the guy you used as an example knows you used him and if so, does he mind?
  • missiontofitness
    baconslave wrote: »
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    You click that little bell then choose "All Notifications" and you can see it. I would like to see who reported me for what post. It's really not fair that I've offended someone and I don't know who or why, takes the fun out of it.

yeah, i saw that. i was just confused how people in this thread knew when a thread had spam or flags all over the place. i just see where i can see if i have any notifications, but how do people see this for other people?

If a post is flagged, the number of flags will show under the posters avatar right next to the flag button.

edit: example -
    p3b8gy4kkx5x.jpg

Then if you click the flag icon, you can see what other users have flagged it as. In this case, this was the OP in a thread. It has 3 spam flags and 2 abuse flags.

You think the guy you used as an example knows you used him and if so, does he mind?

It's in a public forum. Fair game.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited October 2014
    They should switch to a thumbs up/thumbs down system for comments. Like Youtube. Abuse flagging itself is being abused. And as for spam flagging - it's the moderators job to remove spam, not ours.
  • shai74

I feel like these points are eventually going to become a game or source of pride for people, haha.

Make that 5 spam and 6 abuse. Thank you Fans :)
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    I wonder if it is giving the mods headaches having to review the flagged posts
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    The flag feature for "abuse" is ridiculous, and there should be guidelines about when it's appropriate to flag for abuse and when it's not.

In other words, it's not appropriate to flag if you don't like someone's opinion, or if someone is asserting themselves.

But, it is appropriate if someone is name calling, putting people down, bullying, obviously trolling or derailing a conversation.

I wonder if the mods even have time to review all the flagged posts, because I've seen A LOT flagged that just baffled me.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »

88 points!!! Woo hoo!!!! Including 1 flag on one of my posts on this page.
    Points?

I got one flag for abuse in a thread where someone asked for cheap ways to eat clean and I gave her my suggestions of where to go for whole foods and told her I don't eat clean but do bake my own bread, make my own peanut butter, and steam veggies and fish. I guess I should have thought first. :D
  • missiontofitness
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Points?

I got one flag for abuse in a thread where someone asked for cheap ways to eat clean and I gave her my suggestions of where to go for whole foods and told her I don't eat clean but do bake my own bread, make my own peanut butter, and steam veggies and fish. I guess I should have thought first. :D

How dare you offer advice and rational ideas for incorporating more whole foods into their diet. I should flag you for that!

(To answer your points question, if you go to your notifications, you get negative points each time you're flagged.)
  • shai74
    Lol, I just got another Abuse point. I wonder what for. That's what kills me you know, not knowing what it was I said that was so offensive. I'm pretty sure I haven't said anything mean to anyone all day.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    LeonCX wrote: »
    I vote for thumb up/thumb down. Like Youtube. I think at least with the spam flag, it was to make users do all the work. Maybe the mods were getting lazy and asked for that feature. because with 5 spam flags, the comment just drops out.
    The forums we transferred to were already preset up with the features. We are now working on keeping/getting rid of features based on how we want it to work. It has nothing to do with mods being lazy.
    The spam flags help us so that members don't have to go through 100 spam hits before getting to a legit thread. Also so we don't have to track them down by scrolling through pages, which is something we had to do with the old system.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    After reading the guidelines to the various flag options and having years of software testing experience my suggestion is to just not worry until you hear from a mod. The guidelines say nothing will happen on your account until it is looked at and compared against MFP guidelines. Then the point system will be taken into consideration.

Unfortunately with a community the size of MFP the new forum software cannot be beta tested with a reasonably sized group of users so the mods and administrators must sort through all of the flags they are receiving at this point.

So until a better method of sorting through the flags is developed this is going to continue. I apologize for being such a downer but I have been on both sides of the coin with this issue and there is not a simple solution.

Do you think they're keeping track of the threads in which you are flagged, especially given that people are flag happy right now for non-guideline violations? Because if I have -100 points and there's nothing to fall back on to cross check, that seems like a flawed way to determine whether someone violated the guidelines.

..I hope I don't ever reach -100. -2 is quite enough for me.
    Negative points don't mean anything to the mods right now. You'll be alerted if you are violating forum rules.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • shai74
    It is amusing to do a search though of your username and finding the posts you've had flagged for abuse. None of them even remotely resemble abuse. Poor precious little flowers.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,009 Member

You, sir, are an overachiever. Keep up the awesome work.

I'm afraid it says more about how absurd the other people are on here though.
    lorib642 wrote: »
    I wonder if it is giving the mods headaches having to review the flagged posts

I think that would be a safe bet.

Patience, patience, folks. They'll fix it soon enough. Things will still get ridiculous though. There's no fix for that.
  • shai74
    88? now I feel like a failure ...
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    I wish we knew what the flags were for (I think). I got 4 yesterday. I guess as long as I don't hear from a mod it's all good?
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Why does it matter? I mean, if you get another (which you got five it appears for posting this thread) is there a consequence?
  • shai74
    It doesn't matter a bit. I doubt it will result in any action. From the flags I've seen on multiple posts, people are doing it out of spite if someone disagrees with them. All it does is show how childish and petty they are. "What???!!! You said Calories In Calories Out??!!! That's ABUSE!!!! REPORTED!!!!" ... lol, pretty much.