Juice fasting/very low calorie diet - 18lb loss

Options
Hi guys!

I've been unhappy with my body for so long now, and last Easter I did a strict exercise and diet regime for about two weeks. The weight came off and I was really happy. Unfortunately over summer I put that weight back on, about 10lbs, as well as another stone making me 12st 4lbs. Going back to uni in September I took my scales and decided I would lose it. Since the beginning of October I did the 5:2 diet for two weeks and then started a juice fast (two juices and one meal a day) which I have been on for 7 days now. I weighed myself this morning and I've lost 18lbs since the beginning of October.

Is all of this water weight or will I have lost some fat as well? I've been so thrilled and can feel my jeans fitting better however I'm scared it's all just temporary and will come piling back on and worse once I come off the fast in another week.

Any motivation, advice or personal similar stories are much needed to keep me on track! I don't want to juice fast forever but I'm so scared of the weight piling back on!

Annie xxxxxx

Replies

Options
    I did Cambridge a while ago, lost loads felt great and then piled it back on. But that was my own fault. I didnt follow a re-feed plan. Once I was happy with my weight I slowly went back to eating all the wrong things, I hit the carbs hard lol.
    Basically you shouldn't put the weight back on as long as you don't go back to eating what you did before.
    Hope that helps :-)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why would you voluntarily want to lose lean muscle? Of course you're losing, your starving yourself.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Those poor poor muscles.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    It is possible to lose weight without crash dieting . As you have found in the past you do see the results but the weight goes back on + some. Why don't you try sticking to a sensible calorie deficit and eat things that you enjoy in moderation. This way it will be easier to stick to in the long run.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Why would you voluntarily want to lose lean muscle? Of course you're losing, your starving yourself.

So much of this.

What's wrong with chewing?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would guess that a large amount of the loss is from not having food in your stomach and digestive tract, there would be some fat, muscle, and water loss in there as well
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Have you got Netflix? Watch Hungry for Change and it explains why you put on when you lose weight in such a short space of time.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Any type of weight loss, where you are eatting too little and losing at too fast a rate, (like 18 pounds in three weeks) is not likely to work in the long run and you will probably gain it back. Why be in such a hurry? Take your time and do it the right way. Figure out how many calories you should be eating a day, using something like your tdee-15%, get some exercise, and it will work out much better for you.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    eat at maintenance and log your calories accurately and the weight shouldn't come back - well a bit might, say up to 5lb or so, for water weight

but make sure you're healthy low-weight and not skinny-fat - exercise / weights
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you've found a great way of losing your existing muscle, so I suppose it's a good thing your jeans are fitting better because they'll cover up the flab that is left behind when that happens.
  • annabellemayh
    annabellemayh Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do understand about muscle loss and the side effects of fasting. That's why I am juicing for two meals a day and eating a healthy dinner with lots of protein. I exercise 2-3 times a week, I plan to transition off the fast in a healthy way and will obviously not go back to eating a carb or fat heavy diet. I was really looking for support and not criticism as after all everyone is just trying to get to a place where they are happy with themselves. Thank you for those who did give considered and truthful responses however some were just spiteful for the sake of it.

Really I was asking for people's experiences of keeping the weight off and plans they followed after coming off a low calorie diet, if anyone does have any experience of that I would be grateful. Thank you xxx
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Really I was asking for people's experiences of keeping the weight off and plans they followed after coming off a low calorie diet, if anyone does have any experience of that I would be grateful. Thank you xxx

There's a reason for that.

• annabellemayh
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

There's a reason for that.

Sorry?
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    ^^^^^^
    (*) THIS (*)
    When you grow weary of crash yoyo-dieting, why not give MFP a try?
    I lost weight steadily and have kept it all off going on 3 years now.
    u44k35k3kau1.png

• annabellemayh
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I ask again, how many calories are you taking in daily?

On average I'd say around 1200
  • annabellemayh
    Options
    11406203 wrote: »
    I did Cambridge a while ago, lost loads felt great and then piled it back on. But that was my own fault. I didnt follow a re-feed plan. Once I was happy with my weight I slowly went back to eating all the wrong things, I hit the carbs hard lol.
    Basically you shouldn't put the weight back on as long as you don't go back to eating what you did before.
    Hope that helps :-)

Thank you :) I plan to make sure I transition onto a healthy diet and exercise regime. I know some of the weight will go back on as I'll be eating more but hopefully it should keep most off xxx
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

So much of this.

Some people prefer not to masticate, I guess. :#
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    603reader wrote: »

So much of this.

Some people prefer not to masticate, I guess. :#

Yeah I've heard it makes you go blind :)