Options

Replies

• annabellemayh
    annabellemayh Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    603reader wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Why would you voluntarily want to lose lean muscle? Of course you're losing, your starving yourself.

So much of this.

What's wrong with chewing?
    Some people prefer not to masticate, I guess. :#

Yeah I've heard it makes you go blind :)

Sorry, but I am eating too. Thank you for your support and advice however :)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, whatever you do to lose weight you will have to continue doing to keep that weight off.

So focus on living a healthy lifestyle that you can maintain for the rest of your life. In two and a half years I've dropped over 30lbs (lots of inches and BMI as well) and I've done it while having fun and without starving myself. If I stop counting calories I will maintain my weight without even trying because my lifestyle has completely changed.

Consult with your doctor, a nutritionist, or a personal trainer for some help with losing weight. Quick fixes and fast results usually do not last and usually are not very healthy for your body. You can do some serious damage if you deprive your body of calories and nutrients.
  • LauraDubbleya
    LauraDubbleya Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Annabellemayh, I'm planning on trying the juicing approach as well, with the mindset of doing it in a healthy way. I'd be interested in tips and which juices you liked and didn't like, and which ones helped.
    I say, if you're doing this in a healthy way, taking in around 1200 calories (which is what MFP tells me I should be eating if I want to lose) then who is anyone else to tell you differently? Everyone loses their weight in a way that works for them.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Why would you voluntarily want to lose lean muscle? Of course you're losing, your starving yourself.

So much of this.

I was just trying to make a joke about masticating sounding like something else :\
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

So much of this.

I was just trying to make a joke about masticating sounding like something else :\

Jokes don't go over well for the hangry. ;)
  • kirstyk05
    kirstyk05 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    kirstyk05 wrote: »
    Hi guys!

I've been unhappy with my body for so long now, and last Easter I did a strict exercise and diet regime for about two weeks. The weight came off and I was really happy. Unfortunately over summer I put that weight back on, about 10lbs, as well as another stone making me 12st 4lbs. Going back to uni in September I took my scales and decided I would lose it. Since the beginning of October I did the 5:2 diet for two weeks and then started a juice fast (two juices and one meal a day) which I have been on for 7 days now. I weighed myself this morning and I've lost 18lbs since the beginning of October.

Is all of this water weight or will I have lost some fat as well? I've been so thrilled and can feel my jeans fitting better however I'm scared it's all just temporary and will come piling back on and worse once I come off the fast in another week.

Any motivation, advice or personal similar stories are much needed to keep me on track! I don't want to juice fast forever but I'm so scared of the weight piling back on!

Annie xxxxxx

I am a registered Cambridge Consultant if I can help with anything? xx

Unsure why I have been reported as spam?!?!

I am currently following MFP and have never mentioned Cambridge diet until someone has asked for information and has voiced there worries over eating again?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

So much of this.

Not enough carrots, obviously...........................

randomtai wrote: »

So much of this.

Jokes don't go over well for the hangry. ;)
    QFT.

• annabellemayh
    Options
    Annabellemayh, I'm planning on trying the juicing approach as well, with the mindset of doing it in a healthy way. I'd be interested in tips and which juices you liked and didn't like, and which ones helped.
    I say, if you're doing this in a healthy way, taking in around 1200 calories (which is what MFP tells me I should be eating if I want to lose) then who is anyone else to tell you differently? Everyone loses their weight in a way that works for them.

Thanks Laura,

I'll message you with what I have been doing!
  • annabellemayh
    Options
    Hi guys!

I've been unhappy with my body for so long now, and last Easter I did a strict exercise and diet regime for about two weeks. The weight came off and I was really happy. Unfortunately over summer I put that weight back on, about 10lbs, as well as another stone making me 12st 4lbs. Going back to uni in September I took my scales and decided I would lose it. Since the beginning of October I did the 5:2 diet for two weeks and then started a juice fast (two juices and one meal a day) which I have been on for 7 days now. I weighed myself this morning and I've lost 18lbs since the beginning of October.

Is all of this water weight or will I have lost some fat as well? I've been so thrilled and can feel my jeans fitting better however I'm scared it's all just temporary and will come piling back on and worse once I come off the fast in another week.

Any motivation, advice or personal similar stories are much needed to keep me on track! I don't want to juice fast forever but I'm so scared of the weight piling back on!

Annie xxxxxx

I am currently following MFP and have never mentioned Cambridge diet until someone has asked for information and has voiced there worries over eating again?

That was not me, I have not reported you. I've never heard of the Cambridge diet, what is it?

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    When I hear juicing i feel get out the blender with real fruits, veggies, and protein powder. :wink:
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Everyone loses their weight in a way that works for them.
    But that's kind of the point. She's tried taking it off quickly in the past and it DIDN'T work for her, and now she's trying something similar and expecting better results.

OP, I think if you try to think about weight loss as a long term prospect and not something to do quickly and "get it over with," you'll find you have better, longer-lasting results. A small deficit made up of a variety of foods with balanced macronutrients, accompanied with a reasonable exercise regime, will get you there. Unless you have to be on set for a modeling or movie shoot in 3 weeks, you don't need to rush to get there. :)

• trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    When I hear juicing i feel get out the blender with real fruits, veggies, and protein powder. :wink:

REAL FRUITS?!! With all that poisonous sugar? are you insane?

• yopeeps025
    Options

REAL FRUITS?!! With all that poisonous sugar? are you insane?

I have seeing and laugh when people grind up the fruit snack.

• kirstyk05
    kirstyk05 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

Annie xxxxxx

That was not me, I have not reported you. I've never heard of the Cambridge diet, what is it?

I think it may have been another user, sorry I was only trying to help.

I understand your worries over putting weight on if you change to eating regular meals per day rather than shakes/meal replacement/juices as many of my clients do.

Eating juiced drinks made by yourself is really good although you do have to think long term.

Remember its what suits you personally best, some things work for others and wont do for yourself. Other people will always have there own opinion.

Cambridge diet is a very low cal diet ranging from 460 to 1500cals

Best of luck in your weight loss :smile:

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I started off with a narky response too but i'm gonna have another go…

When you start eating again, you may increase a little in body weight because when you eat carb foods, your body holds more water. Its normal. That said, i expect you would surely have lost some fat but most of the weight gain you see within the first few days of eating normally again, will be water weight and that should happen even if you are eating at a calorie deficit. It would only stay at its current low weight if you stick to a low carb diet.

This year i've done some time on low carb, and 5:2. I would never do a juice fast. I prefer my fruit whole. I would suggest you start straight away with ditching the juices and eating the fruit and vegetables you are currently drinking. Then from that you can transition back to including a few more of anything else that's lacking. Its likely you are not eating sufficient protein. And are probably short on a few other vitamins too because not all vitamins come from fruit and vegetables, ditto minerals. Try to make you diet ultimately on that includes a wide variety of foods but always a lot of fruit and vegetables.

Do not be too overly strict about fats. If most of your fats are something like olive oil then you will do yourself no harm and your diet will probably more sustainable because the food you eat will taste better.

I eat whole fat dairy, a little bit of butter. Not much meat fat because i try to avoid it in general. I eat quite a lot of olive oil but not much other vegetable oil. I am trying other nut oils and use sesame when doing asian food. I also eat oily fish for omega 3 fatty acids.

I have followed a sweets free plan all year. Its great. i love it and i'm doing it for the rest of my life. I do get to eat desserts sometimes but in what i have determined to be very low risk situations. I recommend figuring out something like this for yourself with regard to any foods that you find it difficult to practice self-control. I generally find abstinence much easier than moderation but i have already gone on long enough so won't bother with the detail of my program. But i've just weathered some low mood weeks and if there's one thing that can bring all your best intentions unstuck its low mood and or stress. When i get those situations coming up i get help as soon as i can - in the form of counselling. I usually only need one session with my wonderful psychologist. And it works. Along with my commitment to my sweet free life.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, OP, if you are consuming 1200 calories per day, why would you choose juice 2x daily + 1 healthy meal over 3 healthy meals for the same 1200 calories?

I'm not trying to be obtuse. I'm just curious. I would much rather have ample amounts of protein, fats & carbs for my daily calorie allowance than liquid, but that's just me. What would juice x2 daily do for you that food won't?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, OP, if you are consuming 1200 calories per day, why would you choose juice 2x daily + 1 healthy meal over 3 healthy meals for the same 1200 calories?

I'm not trying to be obtuse. I'm just curious. I would much rather have ample amounts of protein, fats & carbs for my daily calorie allowance than liquid, but that's just me. What would juice x2 daily do for you that food won't?

Let you drink on the go so OP can stay active.
  • annabellemayh
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    I started off with a narky response too but i'm gonna have another go…

When you start eating again, you may increase a little in body weight because when you eat carb foods, your body holds more water. Its normal. That said, i expect you would surely have lost some fat but most of the weight gain you see within the first few days of eating normally again, will be water weight and that should happen even if you are eating at a calorie deficit. It would only stay at its current low weight if you stick to a low carb diet.

This year i've done some time on low carb, and 5:2. I would never do a juice fast. I prefer my fruit whole. I would suggest you start straight away with ditching the juices and eating the fruit and vegetables you are currently drinking. Then from that you can transition back to including a few more of anything else that's lacking. Its likely you are not eating sufficient protein. And are probably short on a few other vitamins too because not all vitamins come from fruit and vegetables, ditto minerals. Try to make you diet ultimately on that includes a wide variety of foods but always a lot of fruit and vegetables.

Do not be too overly strict about fats. If most of your fats are something like olive oil then you will do yourself no harm and your diet will probably more sustainable because the food you eat will taste better.

I eat whole fat dairy, a little bit of butter. Not much meat fat because i try to avoid it in general. I eat quite a lot of olive oil but not much other vegetable oil. I am trying other nut oils and use sesame when doing asian food. I also eat oily fish for omega 3 fatty acids.

I have followed a sweets free plan all year. Its great. i love it and i'm doing it for the rest of my life. I do get to eat desserts sometimes but in what i have determined to be very low risk situations. I recommend figuring out something like this for yourself with regard to any foods that you find it difficult to practice self-control. I generally find abstinence much easier than moderation but i have already gone on long enough so won't bother with the detail of my program. But i've just weathered some low mood weeks and if there's one thing that can bring all your best intentions unstuck its low mood and or stress. When i get those situations coming up i get help as soon as i can - in the form of counselling. I usually only need one session with my wonderful psychologist. And it works. Along with my commitment to my sweet free life.

Thank you for your kind response. I intend to follow a low carb diet for the first month of coming off the juice plan and will be eating a high protein high (good) fat diet with lots of vegetables. I'm also trying to cut out sweets and sugar, after being on the fast for 7 days I find I don't crave them at all which is one positive. The fast was supposed to be a kickstart to inspire my weight loss not a long term plan, I know many people criticise 'jumpstarting' a weight loss however I do feel inspired with my current weight loss and I think the determination to keep it off will help me continue healthily. Thank you for all your advice xxxx

• juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options

:grinning: Makes sense...

• annabellemayh
    Options

Personally, I find it a lot easier to stick to my diet when I know I can just open the fridge and juice some fruit and veg as opposed to calorie counting every meal. I just find it easier, if I was at home opposed to university I would probably not juice as I would have more time to plan my shopping etc.