Options
2»

Replies

• kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    Don't worry you won't become muscular by accident.

Yep!

It takes a long, concentrated effort to develop big muscles.

Go for it :)

Not for me. It was just a side affect of training for performance. I get sick of people saying you won't get muscular without trying to get muscular. I was just trying to get better at strength for Crossfit and the muscles came along for the ride. I wasn't training for hypertrophy at all.

I think this is what most people are talking about...not have a little muscle tone.

female-body-builders-5.jpg

Okay, well, I have 130 pounds-ish of *lean* mass. That's the same size as most of the women I Crossfit with except that's their total mass. I'm just not cut like that or that's probably what it would look like. People yell, "Do you want to arm wrestle?" at me from cars. I am a bartender and guys are always trying to challenge me to some sort of physical challenge. Women who ask me about Crossfit say, "I don't want to get big like you, but I hear it's a good workout." I'm bulky, just not cut.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Yep!

Not for me. It was just a side affect of training for performance. I get sick of people saying you won't get muscular without trying to get muscular. I was just trying to get better at strength for Crossfit and the muscles came along for the ride. I wasn't training for hypertrophy at all.

I think this is what most people are talking about...not have a little muscle tone.

female-body-builders-5.jpg

Okay, well, I have 130 pounds-ish of *lean* mass. That's the same size as most of the women I Crossfit with except that's their total mass. I'm just not cut like that or that's probably what it would look like. People yell, "Do you want to arm wrestle?" at me from cars. I am a bartender and guys are always trying to challenge me to some sort of physical challenge. Women who ask me about Crossfit say, "I don't want to get big like you, but I hear it's a good workout." I'm bulky, just not cut.

That still isn't muscular. *shrug* :ohwell:
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    deksgrl wrote: »
    There is a book New Rules of Lifting for Women that has a lot of good info. Even if you do not follow the program in that book, it is a good read. Look at the website Nerd Fitness for body weight exercise. There is a book called Convict Conditioning and Be your Own Gym for body weight.

I concur on reading the book for New Rules.
    I found the program to be overly complicated - especially for the way my gym was set up and what equipment was available.

Stronglifts 5x5 is a great beginner program

Thank you! So many people swear by this routine but it honestly hurts my head. I did love the read though and it gave me some great ideas as far as nutrition, some new exercises, and overall knowledge.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

Yep!

there are exceptions to everything.

• osberhal
    osberhal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions. The only thing i'd add is start slowly, focus on learning correct form so you don't injure youself.