Strength & Weigh Training Question

Options
I'm always reading about people lifting weights, strength training, toning etc. From what I've read, I could benefit from some of this myself. My question is, where, how and with what do I start? I don't want to be muscular I'd just like to be less flabby and much stronger.

Replies

• browndog1410
    Options
    Resistance training is a great way to increase strength, burn fat and increase your fitness. You can use body weight only or use machines or free weights, it doesn't matter as you are using your strength to overcome the resistance. If you know nothing at all then I suggest you either buy a book, look up info online or join a gym (at least initially). I'm sure youtube has lots on body weight training which won't cost you any money.
    Don't forget to have some fun while you do it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Don't worry you won't become muscular by accident.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    There is a book New Rules of Lifting for Women that has a lot of good info. Even if you do not follow the program in that book, it is a good read. Look at the website Nerd Fitness for body weight exercise. There is a book called Convict Conditioning and Be your Own Gym for body weight.
  • JustFindingMe
    JustFindingMe Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

Yep!

It takes a long, concentrated effort to develop big muscles.

Go for it :)
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    I use StrongLifts 5x5 and recommend it.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    There is a book New Rules of Lifting for Women that has a lot of good info. Even if you do not follow the program in that book, it is a good read. Look at the website Nerd Fitness for body weight exercise. There is a book called Convict Conditioning and Be your Own Gym for body weight.

I concur on reading the book for New Rules.
    I found the program to be overly complicated - especially for the way my gym was set up and what equipment was available.

Stronglifts 5x5 is a great beginner program

• RejsGirl
    RejsGirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the information!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    RejsGirl wrote: »
    I'm always reading about people lifting weights, strength training, toning etc. From what I've read, I could benefit from some of this myself. My question is, where, how and with what do I start? I don't want to be muscular I'd just like to be less flabby and much stronger.

What equipment do you have access to?

Ideally, I'd start with a trainer or someone knowledgeable in free weight lifts. Get some pointers on technique and understand the movement/lift. If you can't or don't want to do that, then at the very least spend some time on youtube looking at technique/setup videos. Then start in on a full body program 2-3 days per week. Start light, still focusing on form and technique, then increase weight in regular, small increments over time. Some lifts you'll be able ot increase weight on every week, others maybe every 2-3 weeks.
  • dougii
    dougii Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I am also an advocate for SL 5X5 and reading a good book on weight training - there are a lot to choose from at any decent sized book store.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Read the New Rules of Lifting for Women. Just the first third. After that is exercises and recipes. Peruse as you'd like. I'd also recommend starting with just the basics. Pushups and Pullups (working toward one anyway), Bench Press, Overhead Press and Squats. When you feel more comfortable, add in some Deadlifts. As you feel yourself getting used to these, you can then add in accessories. Like Inverted Body Weight Rows on the Smith Machine, barbell hip thrusts, lat pulls, good mornings and there is a bouquet of them to choose from.

The best idea is to follow a simple program (like 5/3/1 which generates your workouts for you on strstd.com) until you comprehend what weight lifting really does to your body enough to create your own program.

Search YouTube for ANY MOVE that you don't quite understand and do your homework. This will give you confidence when you are in the gym. Knowing what you are doing and following a plan - as opposed to wandering in circles until you surrender and go find a free elliptical :disagree:
  • RejsGirl
    RejsGirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thank you all again for your suggestions. I purchased the book New Rules of Lifting for Women and I'm reading it now. I don't have access to anything but a few hand weights at the moment. I will say that I won't join a gym, they just aren't my thing, but I will read, check youtube and "do my homework".
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Then start in on a full body program 2-3 days per week. Start light, still focusing on form and technique, then increase weight in regular, small increments over time. Some lifts you'll be able ot increase weight on every week, others maybe every 2-3 weeks.

Thank you, this is also the type of information I was looking for - I'm very much a beginner at this!

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you aren't sure what to do, you could look into getting a trainer for 1-3 sessions. My gym runs a discount for the first package you buy just to get you started. I think it's $99 for 3 one hour sessions. This is especially helpful if you aren't sure if you're using proper form or what exercises are good for what muscle groups.

If that's not an option, I also suggest the New Rules of Lifting for Women program. It is a great beginner program to get you used to lifting and has some great info in the book. It is somewhat confusing at first, but after your first workout it makes sense how to follow the program.

I am currently following Stronglifts 5x5. It is a great program, but I don't know that it would be great for a total beginner (not sure if you are a total beginner, but I'm assuming you are from the way your post is worded). You should look it up and see what you think of it before you rule it out though.

There are also several programs on bodybuilding.com. Jamie Eason's programs are really good. They have a "Find a program" feature on their website based on gender, goal, and current level (beginner, intermediate, advanced). Most of their programs are 6-12 weeks, so they aren't huge time commitments, but they are long enough to see results.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    After reading your post just above my other post, I would recommend also checking out "You are your own gym." It's a book based on workouts you can do with just your own body. It's great for people who don't have access to a gym.
  • philwrightfitness
    Options
    As Arnold swarzennegger said to people who said "we don't want to look like you" he replied " don't worry you won't.." .. You won't become muscular over night especially if you are female. Invest in frederic delivers strength anatomy for women....it looks a bit daunting but it's one of the best books out there
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options

Yep!

Not for me. It was just a side affect of training for performance. I get sick of people saying you won't get muscular without trying to get muscular. I was just trying to get better at strength for Crossfit and the muscles came along for the ride. I wasn't training for hypertrophy at all.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

Yep!

Not for me. It was just a side affect of training for performance. I get sick of people saying you won't get muscular without trying to get muscular. I was just trying to get better at strength for Crossfit and the muscles came along for the ride. I wasn't training for hypertrophy at all.

I think this is what most people are talking about...not have a little muscle tone.

female-body-builders-5.jpg

• MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Strength training is perfect for stronger and less flabby. Take measurements, it's completely impossible for most women on the planet to get massive muscles period, let alone quickly. How muscular you look is more down to body fat than packing on loads of muscle, because as a 45 year old female that's just never going to happen for you naturally, that said preserving what you have is super important. Just keep your body fat percentage at or above 20-22% (whatever suits you best) and you won't see much definition, you'll just look strong and fit.

I'm a massive Bret Contreras fan, so my recommendation is to check out his website (http://bretcontreras.com/), he primarily trains women, so he's written a piece on just about everything I've ever pondered as a female lifter. His book - Strong Curves - is my go to for lots of help and suggestions too, and includes workout plans for beginners through to more advanced lifters.
  • KopiteKing89
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    I am currently following Stronglifts 5x5. It is a great program, but I don't know that it would be great for a total beginner (not sure if you are a total beginner, but I'm assuming you are from the way your post is worded). You should look it up and see what you think of it before you rule it out though.

I'm just about a total beginner (other than dicking around with weights about 18 months ago for a few weeks when I was living halfway around the world) and I just finished my 2nd week of SL5x5 today. I'd actually highly recommend it for a complete beginner like myself and OP. With the weight starting out very low, just the bar apart from deadlifts and Pendlay rows, I've been able to study and practice my form throughout my time on the programme so far, which will hopefully lead me to progress further a few weeks/months down the line.

Before SL5x5 I'd tried following one of the recommended programmes for me on bodybuilding.com and, despite the fact I agree they're good programmes, I had no idea what my ideal starting weights should be with all the various exercises, so I just had to guess. I regretted it 2 days later when I couldn'tr straighten my arms for the next 48 hours haha! I definitely should've prepared myself more before starting that programme, but being a complete novice I had no reference point for my capacity.

After that, I spoke to my friend who did SL5x5 two years ago, from pretty much the same height and weight as I am now and he directed me to the website and told me some of his experiences and I felt it would be a better (i.e. slower but more controlled and disciplined) way for me to move forward. No regrets so far. The weights are still pretty easy at the moment but I know that in a few weeks (2-4 perhaps), I'll start really feeling it and by that stage I hope to be much better with my form.

All in all, even though I'm a complete beginner to weightlifting and SL5x5 in general, I cannot recommend it enough. The steady and regular progression keeps me motivated and I've already noticed a small change for the better on the scale from having a proper exercise routine and watching my diet.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Yep!

Yeah no... Being tones is not the same as what most think weight lifting does.

• Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options

Just had a quick stalk of your profile - you don't fit my definition of bulky! You are gorgeous - so if that's what bulky is supposed to look like - then I want to get bulky!