I Blow It EVERY Time :( I need so much support it sucks.

Options
2»

Replies

• JessaLee0324
    JessaLee0324 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    0torque0 wrote: »
    Here's what I have been doing and it is sticking: I am setting a positive goal for myself. Instead of a negative goal like "staying away from junk food" I have set a goal to do a triathlon or two in 2015 and keep building from there. That one simple thing has changed everything for me so far. I am more determined and motivated. Before I set the goal it was so easy to "cheat" just a bit, or skip a workout. But with something i am working towards I actually care about whether or not i should eat that brownie. Is it going to set my training back? Will it destroy the workout i just put in? .

Good advice! Right now I am in the midst of just trying to figure out what I should even be doing for working out. I've always wanted to do a half-marathon. But I have been looking into ways to get your body into shape, and everyone is saying weight training and no cardio. Ah! Training for a half would for sure be a LOT of cardio. And right now, just getting into working out, I want to ease into it.

• JessaLee0324
    Options
    There is so much innuendo that can be taken from the title and the OP... I just can't...

I'm impressed that people are giving her advice, and not derailing the thread. But...hehe.

You guys....really???
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    There is so much innuendo that can be taken from the title and the OP... I just can't...

I'm impressed that people are giving her advice, and not derailing the thread. But...hehe.

You guys....really???

Sorry. You are right. It's juvenile, I know. :flowerforyou: But, I really was glad the thread was not getting derailed because it does happen sometimes. I should have just thought it and not replied (because I actually don't like when it does get derailed). And actually, if you want the comments deleted, it's ok to report it, they will delete it.

• JessaLee0324
    Options
    I didn't think twice about the title when I wrote it. But you are right, it is pretty bad if you are thinking that way. lol I will try and be more mindful of that next time.

• VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You need to REALLY think this through. A few days of eating at a deficit isn't going to be enough to shrink your thighs that much, if at all. So what's changing? Your perception. You feel better after making the changes and you start to view yourself more positively.

However, you then give up on the changes - on your "diet". Well...how did you end up where you are in the first place? You have to treat this as a lifestyle change - not as a temporary diet.

To get X results you have to make Y changes and to keep those changes you have to do Z. Deviate from there and you'll remain on your circle of frustration.
  • radimage
    Options
    The weekends are the hardest. If you don't slip too much, though...you should still be okay. Just work extra hard during the week.
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    0torque0 wrote: »
    Here's what I have been doing and it is sticking: I am setting a positive goal for myself. Instead of a negative goal like "staying away from junk food" I have set a goal to do a triathlon or two in 2015 and keep building from there. That one simple thing has changed everything for me so far. I am more determined and motivated. Before I set the goal it was so easy to "cheat" just a bit, or skip a workout. But with something i am working towards I actually care about whether or not i should eat that brownie. Is it going to set my training back? Will it destroy the workout i just put in? .

Good advice! Right now I am in the midst of just trying to figure out what I should even be doing for working out. I've always wanted to do a half-marathon. But I have been looking into ways to get your body into shape, and everyone is saying weight training and no cardio. Ah! Training for a half would for sure be a LOT of cardio. And right now, just getting into working out, I want to ease into it.

If you want to do a half marathon, then a good (& gentle) way to get started is something like a C25K program. If you've not run before (like me) then it's a great way to start.

Running 3 times a week or so will also give you that extra 'leeway' at the weekends.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    This weightloss journey is such a pain in my rear-end. It's depressing. I spend so much time working on it through the week, and then the weekend is a bust. I'll do so well, and feel great by Thursday/Friday...like my butt and stomach are starting to get smaller instead of the normal "bigger". So I lax on food and drink over the weekend, and by Monday I'm so disgusted with myself. And the thought of all the hard work I have to do AGAIN during the new week, only to blow it again, just really gets me down and out.

I just really wish I had a close support buddy or group. That and I need a workout buddy to push me. Both of which aren't happening. I'm doing this ALL by myself and I don't know what to do to get it right :(

I'm sure there are more people here like me. What works for you? What ways do you trick yourself into sticking with this????? I can't even lose a frigging pound and keep it off at this point :(

I haven't read any other responses, so apologies if I'm repeating something.

Perhaps a weekly tracking approach is best for you? You track daily, but you focus on a weekly calorie goal, instead of daily. That way you could "save" calories for the weekend.

Outside of that, you need to identify why you tend to binge on the weekends - feeling lazy? Being stuck at home? Drinking? Whatever the reason is, you can fix it.

Good luck.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    How about brainstorming how to change your environment at home? Here's some tips.
    • Put "healthy" choices in accessible locations in visible containers.
    • Remove the less healthy choices or stash them in the back.
    • Resolve to visit other places other than the kitchen cupboards. You might be eating from boredom. So go on a bike ride, a walk around the block, something like that.
    • Pack up your daily allotment just like you do for work, and graze from that.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    This is a 'rest of your life' kind of project, so you cant see it as failing and starting over every week. It's more of an awareness than a project. Be mindful of what you eat, but you dont have to be more than 85% perfect. Be aware of how often you exercise and if you are doing more or less than usual and adjust your balance. Remember to sporadically check your weight a few times a week or month, just to watch for upward or downward trends.

It isn't necessary to micromanage yourself into a corner, or the whole process will suck. This should be a new way of life that you are happy to embrace. So be more conscious when choosing groceries and remember to aim for exercising on certain days each week.

Some people encourage baby steps - I encourage pretending the whole thing is on a backburner while you create new habits. Pretend it isnt life or death, cause it really isnt.

If you focus too hard on something, it consumes your thoughts and creates pressure on you to execute it perfectly. Forget perfect. Forget obsessing. Just slip softly into your new habits like you are slipping into a bubble bath with candles. It's good for you, it's good for your body. It's good for your mental state.

And all of this is because you deserve it. To feel good, to look good, to be strong and healthy and happy. It's okay to be the whole package. In fact, you totally should - at every opportunity.

Good luck!

^^^^ this

and also: aim for slow and steady weight loss, it doesn't matter how long it takes to get there, what matters is staying there once you do get there. Set your goal to lose weight at 1lb/week if you have a lot to lose or 0.5lb if you only have a little to lose. Try to hit your calorie goal as close as you can, i.e. don't be under (it makes you hungry and more likely to eat later on, which may not hit until a few days later)... give yourself room in your calorie goal to eat what food you want, just be really careful to weigh and measure it accurately... that way you can enjoy all foods without going off your diet, and that'll make it a lot easier to stick to, then set goals for sticking to it, i.e 1 week goal, 2 week goal, 1 month goal, 3 month goal, 6 month goal, 1 year goal, etc. Whatever exercise you do, make it something you'll enjoy and stick to, and calculate the calories carefully and eat back around 80% of them. Make the process as enjoyable as you can... you don't want to feel deprived or tortured by it, that way you'll find it a lot easier to stick to at weekends. You can even give yourself a bit of extra leeway by eating at maintenance calories one day a week... this will make the process a bit slower, but so long as you are consistently losing weight, it doesn't matter if you take longer to get there, what matters is that you are able to stay there when you do get there.

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    ^100% pleeeeeeeeeeeease go slow. I think that was one of the smartest things I did when I dropped a century.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Okay, here are my thoughts. I looked at your profile and I see that you don't have a lot more to lose. When you are closer to goal, you should aim for half a pound per week loss. This means your calorie deficit is going to be 250 cals a day. This is not much room for error. Or, make your calorie goal through the week a little bit less so you have more room to splurge on the weekend.

Log everything on the weekends. Take a look at it and see what things you might change. If alcohol is putting you over the edge, look at switching what you are drinking, or drinking half as much (drink water every other drink). Look at the food choices and amounts and see what you might substitute in similar circumstances. (maybe a chicken quasadilla instead of burger and fries)?

Maybe you will have to exercise more to offset the calories. Get those fitness goals in place and get consistent.

As others have mentioned, this is going to have to be a long term thing in order to keep it off. Don't look at the small slip ups as failures, just get up and keep moving. Big picture.
  • lyrical_melody
    lyrical_melody Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    So...I do the EXACT same thing as you and I was getting super frustrated with myself and not losing.

This is how I changed it:
    -Saturday Morning Zumba Class

The whole week I would schedule my meals/social life around when my zumba class is. (This is what keeps me motivated at the moment and is important for me). I found a zumba class that is on Saturday morning which helps me with a few things...
    1. workout during the weekend (which before I always found hard to do)
    2. Keep my Friday night in check so I am not getting super drunk...If I am wasted and feel like *kitten* the next morning, I'm not going to want to attend the class.
    3. Keep my calorie intake in good standing: If I know that I just worked out in the morning..I am going to be more aware of not blowing it later on in the day.

Sundays: are a little difficult for me because I dont have a workout to go to...but I try to be mindful.

I hope this helps...the morning class has really shaped my weekends for me.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm focusing on training and eating 'better' instead of eating 'right'. It seems to be working, I'm definitely losing inches and soon to drop pounds, I'm sure. =)
  • CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I feel like I could have wrote this. I don't have much advice as I am in the same situation but just wanted you to know you are not alone! Feel free to add me if you want. But I know the struggle believe me I do! You will get through it, but like everything it will just take time. :D
  • JessaLee0324
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    This is a 'rest of your life' kind of project, so you cant see it as failing and starting over every week. It's more of an awareness than a project. Be mindful of what you eat, but you dont have to be more than 85% perfect. Be aware of how often you exercise and if you are doing more or less than usual and adjust your balance. Remember to sporadically check your weight a few times a week or month, just to watch for upward or downward trends.

It isn't necessary to micromanage yourself into a corner, or the whole process will suck. This should be a new way of life that you are happy to embrace. So be more conscious when choosing groceries and remember to aim for exercising on certain days each week.

Some people encourage baby steps - I encourage pretending the whole thing is on a backburner while you create new habits. Pretend it isnt life or death, cause it really isnt.

If you focus too hard on something, it consumes your thoughts and creates pressure on you to execute it perfectly. Forget perfect. Forget obsessing. Just slip softly into your new habits like you are slipping into a bubble bath with candles. It's good for you, it's good for your body. It's good for your mental state.

And all of this is because you deserve it. To feel good, to look good, to be strong and healthy and happy. It's okay to be the whole package. In fact, you totally should - at every opportunity.

Good luck!

^^^^ this

and also: aim for slow and steady weight loss, it doesn't matter how long it takes to get there, what matters is staying there once you do get there. Set your goal to lose weight at 1lb/week if you have a lot to lose or 0.5lb if you only have a little to lose. Try to hit your calorie goal as close as you can, i.e. don't be under (it makes you hungry and more likely to eat later on, which may not hit until a few days later)... give yourself room in your calorie goal to eat what food you want, just be really careful to weigh and measure it accurately... that way you can enjoy all foods without going off your diet, and that'll make it a lot easier to stick to, then set goals for sticking to it, i.e 1 week goal, 2 week goal, 1 month goal, 3 month goal, 6 month goal, 1 year goal, etc. Whatever exercise you do, make it something you'll enjoy and stick to, and calculate the calories carefully and eat back around 80% of them. Make the process as enjoyable as you can... you don't want to feel deprived or tortured by it, that way you'll find it a lot easier to stick to at weekends. You can even give yourself a bit of extra leeway by eating at maintenance calories one day a week... this will make the process a bit slower, but so long as you are consistently losing weight, it doesn't matter if you take longer to get there, what matters is that you are able to stay there when you do get there.

Good advice!
    Currently I am aiming at losing 1/2lb a week, and I have 10 - 20lbs to lose. My calorie goal per day is 1450, which is totally doable. But I find the hard part is picking and chosing foods that will make my "normal" meals more "diet" meals.

Also, I find that I'm just doing this to lose weight and not feel so disgusted. What I should be doing is working on making the change a realistic and permanent one.

I do not have a scale for weighing my food. Are they really worth it? I looked for one "briefly" at Target the other day but didn't see one. Where do you find them?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Re: your question on whether or not scales are worth it, here is some interesting reading:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/872212

On how to choose foods to make them "diet", why can't you just eat your regular foods but eat less of it? If you find you are hungry, then look and see what things you can switch out for less calories that will keep you full longer. Generally protein will keep you full longer. Also, you can eat a whole lot of vegetables for low calories. Don't go "low fat" because your body needs fats for health and absorption of vitamins. I couldn't see your diary to make any specific recommendations.
  • shadowloss
    shadowloss Posts: 293 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Another weekend NON warrior just like me! I'm about ready to put a lock on the liquor cabinet. Luckily I'm old with a family so it's not like I'm going out clubbing. The drinking is what got me where I am today.

When I started to honestly log my calories, I realized that I was consuming 1,000 calories, when I was trying to be good (Vodka). Before that, I'm sure it was closer to 1,500 - 1,800 calories trickling down my gullet! Then to make it better, I had to have something salty so here comes Mr. Peaunts. Oh, couple 3 - 4 cups of peanuts and theres another 1,000 calories. Assuming that is all I put down my chubby face, then just the water retention from the peanuts put me at 4lbs of water retention, not to mention dehydrated from the alcohol.

Adding it all up, I was consuming probable close to 3,000 calories on Friday and Saturday nights, not to mention the crap I would eat during the day, because lets face it, I'm old and would have a bit of a "denied" hangover.

It took me doing the math to realize, it WASN'T worth it. I still have a hard time staying out of the liquor cabinet, but I'm trying just like you. Now that I've rambled enough, I've talked myself into going to the gym tonight instead of the cabinet! Thanks for opening my eyes.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    For me, the key is pre-logging. I don't need to "trick" myself I just need to have perseverance and remember why I started in the first place.