Thoughts on veganism?

Options

Replies

• njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I was on a vegan diet for a year, but I'm not really a vegan. I just wanted the health benefits of the diet. It was very hard to do, especially because I'm allergic to wheat, soy and corn. But, I lost a lot of weight and felt pretty good. I just couldn't keep eating like that, as there are only so many ways to cook a bean.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    acheben wrote: »
    Oh, snake anti-venin? Right out.
    Is this a concern where you live? I don't know anyone who's ever been bitten by a snake (and I'm assuming you meant "anti-venom").
    You really don't know anyone who has ever been bitten by a snake? Where do you live?

She was right, it's not anti-venin, it's antivenin. I didn't realize it wasn't hyphenated. No snakes? I'd surmise by that silliness, and the rest of their post... urbanite. Full cement jungle.

There are wooded areas with no poisonous snakes. That wouldn't necessarily prevent snake bites, but non-poisonous snakes are far less likely to bite than poisonous snakes.
    And, there would be no need for antivenom (correct spelling, the hyphen wasn't the only problem).
    You sure about that, honored elder?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antivenom

Apparently it can and is named: antivenom, antivenin, and antivenene.

Of interest:
    Wiki wrote:
    The name "antivenin" comes from the French word venin, meaning venom, which in turn was derived from Latin venenum, meaning poison.

Historically, the term antivenin was predominant around the world, its first published use being in 1895.[2] In 1981, the World Health Organization decided that the preferred terminology in the English language would be venom and antivenom rather than venin and antivenin or venen and antivenene.[3]
    So, you have known it by two names.

What's interesting to note, and something I thought everyone knew, was that antivenin is used for more than just snake venom. *shrug* I overestimated.
  • F4nt4p4nts
    Options
    Veganism is an interesting thing...

We are omnivores, you can't deny it. But the supply of meat to "most" people is far from respectful toward the animal. And the meat is horrendous. BUT, rather than being vegan why not become informed? Choose home reared and butchered meat... or one step further, wild animals killed and butchered. Not wild native animals.... but pests. Luckily where I come from, almost every mammal is an introduced pest. These animals are being killed with 1080 poison, and left to rot. Why not enjoy them while we try to rid the country of them too? Would that be a moral correction to the foul MRM products were exposed to everyday?

And do you use "fake meat" products, e.g. Tofu burgers, with little grill lines? Tofu sausages (looks like a white poo, with grill lines). I only know one vegan, and he uses so many products that replicate meat (even tofu bacon which is painted to look like streaky bacon) that it is actually disrespectful to tofu.

Anyway... that's my 5cents worth.

Good luck to you though, vegan food can be delicious, but it's often damn hard to maintain.
  • Dakinirawk
    Dakinirawk Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian for 15 years (vegan for the last 3 of those years). I became very ill and it was discovered through blood testing that I have a severe intolerance to gluten and dairy. It is likely that my reliance on gluten and dairy for so many years did a number on my gut and contributed to my allergy. Since going off of them and eating a gluten free dairy free diet with animal proteins, I am incredibly more healthy. I lost 9 lbs. the first week due to loss of fluid from bloat, water retention and inflammation. I was achy, tired all the time, and digestion was horrible. I believe a whole food diet with animal proteins is healthiest for most (and definetly true for me). I think it *can* be healthy if mostly plant based and not processed. but I think soy is absolute junk for our bodies and most rely on heavily processed convenience foods (at least I did, as a college kid for a chunk of those years) and the imitation meat made of gluten etc. was awful on my gut. Throughout my first pregnancy, I was still vegan and I was told to track my protein and sugar. It was very difficult to find items that were high in protein that were not also very high in carbohydrates. I do not believe vegan proteins are as good as animal ones. Veganism is not a weight loss plan either, but I definetly understand the ethical reasons (as that was my motivation back then).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Is this a concern where you live? I don't know anyone who's ever been bitten by a snake (and I'm assuming you meant "anti-venom").
    You really don't know anyone who has ever been bitten by a snake? Where do you live?

She was right, it's not anti-venin, it's antivenin. I didn't realize it wasn't hyphenated. No snakes? I'd surmise by that silliness, and the rest of their post... urbanite. Full cement jungle.

There are wooded areas with no poisonous snakes. That wouldn't necessarily prevent snake bites, but non-poisonous snakes are far less likely to bite than poisonous snakes.
    And, there would be no need for antivenom (correct spelling, the hyphen wasn't the only problem).

Of interest:
    Wiki wrote:
    The name "antivenin" comes from the French word venin, meaning venom, which in turn was derived from Latin venenum, meaning poison.

Historically, the term antivenin was predominant around the world, its first published use being in 1895.[2] In 1981, the World Health Organization decided that the preferred terminology in the English language would be venom and antivenom rather than venin and antivenin or venen and antivenene.[3]

What's interesting to note, and something I thought everyone knew, was that antivenin is used for more than just snake venom. *shrug* I overestimated.

How far did you overestimate? What was your guess and what was the actual number?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

As I recall, you're fond of dictionaries, right?

an·ti·ven·in
    ˌantēˈvenin,ˌantī-/
    noun
    noun: antivenin; plural noun: antivenins

an antiserum containing antibodies against specific poisons, especially those in the venom of snakes, spiders, and scorpions.

I learned something new today.

• Ladybug1250
    Ladybug1250 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I know, accuracy is so unreasonable.

Luckily, I'm not wearing a murdershirt.

oh wow, here I thought you were being funny. I apparently misunderstood your lack of sense of humor, carry on then don't mind me. And thanks for being an *kitten* much appreciated :wink:
  • dbmata
    Options

Of interest:
    Wiki wrote:

How far did you overestimate? What was your guess and what was the actual number?

Well, for example, I estimated that everyone knew what antivenin was.

I was incorrect, you did not know. However, I did humbly offer knowledge to you.
  • veganstephanie
    veganstephanie Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan 10 years and I am fine. Did it for ethical reasons, health reasons were a plus. Vegans can be overweight or obese. Chips and soda are vegan. Never start a vegan/vegetarian/meat post. There are people with the best intentions, giving their opinions, and being respectful even if they don't agree, but then there are those looking to fight, on both sides. Feel free to friend me. There's vegan groups on here too.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that my body is not suited for that type of diet. Some people have great results; others don't. Each body is different so therefore we all have to try things to find our own "formula."
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »

Come visit me in nevada

Also it IS called Antivenin

And Texas...

FTR: My husband has been bitten by a rattlesnake...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Of interest:
    Wiki wrote:

Well, for example, I estimated that everyone knew what antivenin was.

I was incorrect, you did not know. However, I did humbly offer knowledge to you.

Huh? Why would you assume I knew what antivenin was, when I corrected it to antivenom (wouldn't that be a pretty clear indicator that I did not)?

But that is off topic to the post to which I replied.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

an·ti·ven·in
    ˌantēˈvenin,ˌantī-/
    noun

an antiserum containing antibodies against specific poisons, especially those in the venom of snakes, spiders, and scorpions.

I am indeed, and I also learned something new, though apparently it's not been commonly used in America since 1981.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Most vegans dont know wtf veganism is. Thats my thoughts.

this makes me assume you associate with many dumb people

• MadameMaverick
    MadameMaverick Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have been vegan for over 2 years, and not looking back now! Have found great replacements for the things people think it is impossible to find good replacements for: eggs, cheese, AND bacon. (Tofu with black salt, the Uncheese cookbook, and Dulce). I feel healthier than I ever felt, with constipation and stomach pain gone, less pain during PMS, better looking and feeling skin, and I am better smelling all around!!! :) yay!
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    PhoebeGrey wrote: »
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I would dispute the health benefits when compared to a nutrient dense diet that contains some portion of animal products. I think the China Study is silly. But having said both of those things I don't care if someone chooses to be vegan.

I do think that respecting all opinions is silly and wrong. People are entitled to their opinion but if their opinion is full of hatred then I don't respect it. Think of the opinions of certain hate mongering groups -- do you respect those opinions? I hope not. But that's an aside and I probably shouldn't derail your thread.
    Have you even read the China Study?

I have read the China Study. It (and Dr. Esselstyn's works) are flawed. Again, they show correlation, not causation.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the idea that the use of animal products is unethical.

Though I respect your opinion, and I agree that the use of animal products isn't all that bad, but the way we get these products is pretty messed up. Its sick.

You dont sound vegan to me. It sounds like you have no issue with family farm raised and slaughtered animals. Sounds more like ya watched a few netflix documentaries and got appalled by the food industry conglomerates. Thats not veganism.

Im gonna go put on some wool socks and rake some leaves.

Veganism has do with what you eat and nothing else.
    Trolling or clueless?

Neither. Just someone that knows the meaning of the word "vegan".

Not according to the American Vegan Society:
    "VEGANS (pronounced VEE-guns) Live on products of the plant kingdom. Veganism is compassion in action. It is a philosophy, diet, and lifestyle.

Veganism is an advanced way of living in accordance with Reverence for Life, recognizing the rights of all living creatures, and extending to them the compassion, kindness, and justice exemplified in the Golden Rule.

Vegans eat solely from the plant kingdom: vegetables, fruits, legumes, grains, nuts and seeds. Vegans express nonviolence towards animals and the Earth.
    AVS promotes good health practices and harmonious living.

Vegans exclude flesh, fish, fowl, dairy products (animal milk, butter, cheese, yogurt, etc.), eggs, honey, animal gelatin, and all other foods of animal origin.

Veganism also excludes animal products such as leather, wool, fur, and silk in clothing, upholstery, etc. Vegans usually make efforts to avoid the less-than-obvious animal oils, secretions, etc., in many products such as soaps, cosmetics, toiletries, household goods and other common commodities."

Source: http://www.americanvegan.org/vegan.htm

To the bolded part... Well sometimes... unless you follow the likes of Gary Yourofsky who advocates the rape and torture of non vegans.
  • dbmata
    Options
    lol.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »

an·ti·ven·in
    ˌantēˈvenin,ˌantī-/
    noun

I am indeed, and I also learned something new, though apparently it's not been commonly used in America since 1981.

Box says antivenin so guess it's still common use

I have no idea what box you mean. I was simply going by your post above, which may have been incorrect. But, I'll concede whatever argument you think we are having in favor of not further hijacking the OP's thread.