Fitting in the wine...

Options
ehk33
ehk33 Posts: 33 Member
So if theres a night I feel like binging on 2-3 glasses of wine do I just like skip lunch that day to save the calories? Or just allow myself to go over my calories that one day? What do you all do? This is gonna sound weird, but Im not a "drink one glass with dinner" kinda girl. lol If I am going to enjoy some wine, i want to have 2-3 glasses with my hubby, snuggled on the couch, while we watch a fun movie and get a little buzzy. Hence why I usually only drink maybe once a week, or once every other week. I looked, and a bottle of pinot noir has roughly 600-700 calories right? So it would likely be a little less than that. Im supposed to be doing 1200 calories a day, thats a lunch and snack skip

Replies

• jagi410
    jagi410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    If it's a once a week occurrence, then just save up 700 calories for the week by eating 100 calories less per day. You won't be denying yourself real food on a daily basis. This is what I'm doing this week, as I'm going to a beerfest this weekend!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going to have more than a drink with dinner I drink more water during the day (to avoid a hangover, I'm old) and I put an extra 20 minutes on the workout in the AM, so I get more room. I don't count cals per se, but I know if I plan on over indulging on anything to put in some extra work that day
  • dashaclaire
    dashaclaire Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have barely been drinking as a result of this very issue! I also know myself well enough to know that I make unhealthy food choices once that buzz sets in... Nachos! This is one of those times when your diet can interfere with your relationship:( not because my fiancé cares wether I drink or not but it's something we enjoy together.

I have no advice but truly sympathize.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Build it in. If it's a lifestyle it has to be workable. Build in your indulgences. Cheers :drinker:
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Build it in. If it's a lifestyle it has to be workable. Build in your indulgences. Cheers :drinker:
    +1
    I don't even give wine a second thought
  • ehk33
    edited October 2014
    Options
    lol Yea, i just dont see the point in having just "one glass". Extra calories, no buzz... I would rather not have any at all or drink 2-3 glasses in a night and feel it. So I mostly just skip it all together, but i still love to indulge here and there ;) And its usually only about 3-4 times a month.... on a Thursday... when we start the night off with an awesome movie and finish it by watching Greys and Scandal lol My hubby and I love our "at home dates" ;)
  • ehk33
    Options
    so save the calories i know ill need, not go over that day? right? thats the vote?
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    What is your caloric goal?
  • ehk33
    Options
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'd pre-log that first and plan everything else (rest of food for the day and exercise) around it. Alas, my body won't let me have more than one drink anymore without giving me the hangover of a 15 year-old tasting hard cider for the first time.. Have one for me. Please.
  • 20yearsyounger
    Options
    1200 is tough. What I'll tell you is that most nights I plan 12 oz to fit roughly 1600. Most nights I have 6 oz, other nights none. Maybe you may need to work out more. You really control how fast you lose. For me, unless I make it work, I know I will fail.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ehk33 wrote: »
    so save the calories i know ill need, not go over that day? right? thats the vote?
    I wouldn't so much "save" the calories as in not each lunch (which you previously mentioned) as build it in bigger picture. Your body doesn't reset its calorie meter at midnight. Build it in to a week's deficit. You don't want to get in the habit of "trading" food for booze. Unless perhaps it's dessert or junk food. Does that make sense? Add more cardio ALL week. Take the stairs, eat a tad less each day and build it in. If you log, yes, PRE log. Figure it out where you get the nutrients you need, and the wine you enjoy.

Granted, I think 1200 is a low calorie goal in general, so I'd add another 100 a build it in that way. :smile:

signed: has 1-2 glasses most nights, and sometimes 3.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    ehk33 wrote: »
    So if theres a night I feel like binging on 2-3 glasses of wine do I just like skip lunch that day to save the calories? Or just allow myself to go over my calories that one day? What do you all do? This is gonna sound weird, but Im not a "drink one glass with dinner" kinda girl. lol If I am going to enjoy some wine, i want to have 2-3 glasses with my hubby, snuggled on the couch, while we watch a fun movie and get a little buzzy. Hence why I usually only drink maybe once a week, or once every other week. I looked, and a bottle of pinot noir has roughly 600-700 calories right? So it would likely be a little less than that. Im supposed to be doing 1200 calories a day, thats a lunch and snack skip

It doesnt sound weird not one bit. I love my few glasses of wine hanging out with my husband talking laughing or watching a great movie. That is our time and wine puts me in a relaxed mood. But to answer your question workout longer or harder so you can have the extra calories. That's what I normally do.
  • kaspatore
    kaspatore Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    My meal plan for wine night.
    Bfast- one whole egg and 1/4 c of egg whites, 2 tbsp cottage cheese, and spinach made into an omlette with a wedge of laughing cow cheese- approx 181 calories
    Lunch 12 p- a whole bunch of chopped broccoli, a roma tomato, handfull of cooked chicken, and 4 tbsp of Heluva good greek yogurt dip- approx 200 calories
    Early dinner- a whole can of progresso roasted chicken noodle or chicken gumbo- approx 200 calories.
    Do cardio that day, then enjoy your wine and HECK! have a few snacks, too!
  • Amylacc
    Amylacc Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Just build it in. That's what I do. I workout more or I skimp on something else. I've quit eating chips at lunch, for instance. I love something crunchy with my sandwich, but it's not a big deal. I drink less beer now because it has more calories and because it's getting colder out (for some reason I associate beer mostly with summer). I even had banana pudding for lunch today and I decided not to work. I still came out slightly ahead. Mostly though, I don't stress if I am a little over.
  • ehk33
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Awesome advice! Glad everyone doesnt think im totally crazy and nutzo for wanting wine while trying to lose some weight! lol :) I think Ill just half my calories on those drinking days. Like what Kaspatore and most of you suggested. Instead of two eggs and two pieces of bread for breakfast, ill just have one of each. Cut out the sour cream and cheese at lunch, dinner go just chicken/veggies instead of cous cous on there too. I think I can handle that once a week to get my wine in lol
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I'm more of a single drink a night kind of person, but no, wanting to enjoy a drink while dieting isn't crazy. I mean, as long as you're accounting for the calories...
  • deehovey
    deehovey Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you are eating less food during the day you will probably get buzzed quicker. You may find that now that you are eating fewer calories it may take less wine to get that buzz you are going for.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    2-3 glasses of wine is considered a binge?
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    If I was doing such a low calorie plan, I would not even worry about those extra calories. Your body will probably be thrilled to have them.