Help!!! I'm not losing any weight!

Options
Finally decided to post something because I'm becoming increasingly discouraged by my lack of weight loss. I've been tracking for over a month now (1200/day, I'm about 5'3") and I exercise 5-7 times/week and I'm still not losing any weight. I started out at about 140 and am still right where I started. Additional info. I've seen related to these posts that might be helpful is that I know I'm fully hydrated as I drink at least a gallon of water a day, the majority of my foods are whole foods and I do not eat wheat at all. Also I do have a heart rate monitor and have been burning around 400 cal each workout, I occassionally eat these back when I'm hungry but not all the time. Any suggestions about how to speed up my weight loss would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• ldriver10
    ldriver10 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing at first but the scale hasn't budged at all. I resisted the urge to weigh myself until now because as much as I try not to let a silly thing like an arbitrary number get me down it still has a tendency to make me upset... like what's the point ya know?
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have been working my butt off for about a month and eating right too and have not lost any weight. So at the advice of a friend I started measuring my hips, butt arms and waist every week and I am losing inches! My clothes do fit better. It IS hard to not get discouraged when the scale doesn't budge. Maybe measuring can help? It helped me and now I am not going to weigh in until 2 weeks have passed.
  • mickey2168
    mickey2168 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2" and started at 133 - I was not losing much either at 1200 until I started eating my exercise calories back. The weight has been coming off since then at a slow rate but it is (thank God) finally coming off. Try eating your calories back - you should be netting at least 1200 or more. Hope that helps.
  • chlsyrhd
    chlsyrhd Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Have you taken measurements at all? Are your clothes feeling loose? That's shows progress much more than a scale.
  • ldriver10
    Options
    Yes, I am taking measurements and although my body feels firmer. I've lost a negligible amount of inches overall and actually gained 1/2" in my thigh area from I think the lunges/squats that I do daily... wasn't exactly pleased about that.
  • ldriver10
    Options
    I was curious too if I've slowed my metabolism by exercising so rigorously and not eating back those calories because I only recently got my heart rate monitor and realized just how many calories my workouts were burning.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I take it those 1200 aren't your net calories? Then that would explain why you're not losing weight, your body is in starvation mode.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    if you weigh and measure everything, and usually net under 1200 cals, you probably need to eat more.
  • Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    You can't gain muscle eating at a deficit, especially that low. You need to eat more! I'm 5'2" and netting 1650 a day but still losing.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Muscle gain?

Muscle gain in a month? On a deep calorie deficit? Not possible. Be patient. Eat more or at least fuel your workouts by eating back your exercise calories. Oh, and did I say be patient? You're on the last 35 pounds and those are the hardest to lose. Be patient.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    if you weigh and measure everything, and usually net under 1200 cals, you probably need to eat more.

Agreed. You're not eating enough to fuel those workouts so your body is hanging on to what it can. Up your calories (gradually if you prefer) and keep doing what you're doing. Maybe by 100 a week until you reach 1400 or 1500. Also, search the forums for "in place of a road map" and take a read. It worked for me!
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    Can you open your diary up? There may be something there that is explaining things. Do you weigh and measure your food (Not sure if you answered this question) It could be you are actually over/under eating what you think you are eating.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I take it those 1200 aren't your net calories? Then that would explain why you're not losing weight, your body is in starvation mode.

No, starvation mode is eating nothing for 72 hours and I did not see that anywhere in the OP's post.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    try eating more calories! you may be under eating
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. You're netting less than 1200/day which isn't giving your body enough fuel to function. Too large of a deficit can hinder/stall weight loss as much as too little of one. If you're finding it "hard" to eat enough, start adding in calorie dense foods - nuts, nut butters, full fat dairy. 2Tbs of peanut butter is approx. 200 calories. The In Place of a Road Map thread has resources for calculating your calorie needs: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13?hl=road+map#posts-14885708

According to BMI, you're just at the high end of the normal range. Getting down to 105 would put you in the unhealthy range. Since you're in a normal range, it'll be harder/slower to lose the weight. You many need to stop focusing on a number and instead focus on inches lost, how you're clothes are fitting and how you're feeling. This link, http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/ is a great example of how the scale really doesn't matter, it's body composition.
  • flower_chops
    flower_chops Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Can you open your diary up? There may be something there that is explaining things. Do you weigh and measure your food (Not sure if you answered this question) It could be you are actually over/under eating what you think you are eating.

This.
  • KatieBee8
    KatieBee8 Posts: 61
    Options
    We are similar (ish) figures and I had the same problem last month. I was eating 1200 calories and exercising 5 times a week and I lost nothing at all. I was told by numerous people to up my calories and that's exactly what I did. This month I have been eating 1400-1500 calories and exercising 4 times a week and I've lost almost 6lbs.

I would definitely suggest upping your calories :smile:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    As others have stated, you will probably need to eat more. I know it sounds counter productive, but eating enough calories will prevent or lessen the chances of hormones preventing weight loss. While it's not starvation mode, it's a famine response that our body has.

Based on your stats, you should probably be eating around 1750 calories daily (you would not have to eat exercise calories back in this case as I have it figured into your TDEE). Additionally, do not workout 7 days a week. Your body needs rest and your make your strength gains during rest. If you continue to workout 7 days a week, at some point you can be over training and it will adversely affect your progress. Additionally, are you weight training? If not, you should start and lift heavy. You might as well maximize muscle retention and strength gains during your weight loss progress. This will affect your goal of 105 but you will get a lean and tight body much quicker. A goal of 120 would probably be better. What I suggest is not have a weight goal but a look (mirror results) or a body fat goal. I say this because weighing less doesn't always mean better looking; as shown below with Staci.

Also, ensure you are getting enough protein and fat. I generally suggest macro's around 40% carbs, 40% protein and 20% fats. You can adjust them to your desire but you should aim for 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass and .35g of fat.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/