Help!!! I'm not losing any weight!

Options

Replies

• alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I take it those 1200 aren't your net calories? Then that would explain why you're not losing weight, your body is in starvation mode.
    No, starvation mode is eating nothing for 72 hours and I did not see that anywhere in the OP's post.
    Logically if she is eating at a huge deficit she should be losing pounds and pounds right now but she's not, please explain how not if as you say her metabolism has stayed the same?
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Muscle gain?

At 1200 cals per day it is NOT muscle gain.

You need to eat back your exercise calories every time if you are going to eat 1200 cals per day.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I take it those 1200 aren't your net calories? Then that would explain why you're not losing weight, your body is in starvation mode.
    No, starvation mode is eating nothing for 72 hours and I did not see that anywhere in the OP's post.
    Logically if she is eating at a huge deficit she should be losing pounds and pounds right now but she's not, please explain how not if as you say her metabolism has stayed the same?

The "Starvation mode is a myth" people all use the strawman of "You have to actually be *starving* and not eating anything!

So call it something else. Call it Conservation Mode. The fact is that steep caloric deficits cause metabolic slowdown. For some people, with smaller deficits, that might be "only" a 10% slowdown. But studies have found much higher numbers - 15-25% in one study, higher in others. The infamous "Minnesota Starvation Experiments" found slowdowns of up to 40%.

Then run the numbers with a 25% slowdown. For smaller women with lower BMRs to begin with, a 10-25% slowdown can erase almost all of even a fairly big deficit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

Read that. While she may be losing lean body mass or even fat with a large deficit, it can be offset by water retention and/or metabolic adaptation. There are many variables. Additionally, there are a lot of people on this board that have gotten several RMR test. In fact, one girl was on a lcd for 6 months and her RMR slowed down to 900-1100. After 3 months on maintenance and upping calories, it went to around 1500.
  • SusanTrueman1973
    Options
    I'm sure you'll find this website a great help if you look through the past posts - there are some great tips and useful info that I have discovered. If it helps - what worked for me was a plan by nutritionist Isabel De Los Rios, I found her via this website: http://www.wowitworked.com/fast-weight-loss - hope that might be of some help!?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

Read that. While she may be losing lean body mass or even fat with a large deficit, it can be offset by water retention and/or metabolic adaptation. There are many variables. Additionally, there are a lot of people on this board that have gotten several RMR test. In fact, one girl was on a lcd for 6 months and her RMR slowed down to 900-1100. After 3 months on maintenance and upping calories, it went to around 1500.

Starvation mode is when you body begins to turn to muscle and/or itself for energy when you have ate nothing for a minimal of 72 hours ...so I stick with my original assertion that the OP is not in starvation mode.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    There are many variables. Additionally, there are a lot of people on this board that have gotten several RMR test. In fact, one girl was on a lcd for 6 months and her RMR slowed down to 900-1100. After 3 months on maintenance and upping calories, it went to around 1500.

Assuming that 1500 was her pre-restriction RMR, that's a 26% drop. Right in line with what shows up in studies. You really can erase your caloric deficit through restriction.

And then what's your choice -- restrict even further (possibly causing even more slowdown) in order to lose? If you do that, when you finally give up because sub-1000 calorie totals are unsustainable long-term, you're going to gain rapidly as soon as you start to eat again. Your "maintenance" calorie level will be lower than other people's weight-loss calorie goals. It's a recipe for rapid regain and weight cycling.
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Before changing your diet based on what some people on the internet tell you, go to your doctor and get some professional advice.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Wow, post after post telling you how much to eat.

Not one post asking how you measure food?

This forum needs a standard questionnaire. This is ridiculous. Nobody giving any advice here has the faintest idea how much you are eating, yet they feel free to repeat the same stock answers.

Sorry to be harsh, but you can't make judgements without data.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Starvation mode is when you body begins to turn to muscle and/or itself for energy when you have ate nothing for a minimal of 72 hours ...so I stick with my original assertion that the OP is not in starvation mode.

We aren't contesting your point about starvation mode. I agree that her body isn't in it, but it doesn't mean her body won't adapt or conserve. Also, it is very common that a body will catabolize lean body mass during any kind of weight loss. So I don't get where you are going with that? Larger deficits lead to large catabolization rates.
  • pcastagner
    Options

We aren't contesting your point about starvation mode. I agree that her body isn't in it, but it doesn't mean her body won't adapt or conserve. Also, it is very common that a body will catabolize lean body mass during any kind of weight loss. So I don't get where you are going with that? Larger deficits lead to large catabolization rates.

Big hint: she hasn't reported any symptoms of starvation mode, like lethargy.

Ah, first world problems...
  • ndj1979
    Options

Wait, you agree that the OP is not in starvation mode, but the first thing you said is that the OP is in starvation mode...so which one is it?
  • Broejen
    Broejen Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Wait, you agree that the OP is not in starvation mode, but the first thing you said is that the OP is in starvation mode...so which one is it?

In psulemons first post, he said "while its not starvation mode..."
  • ndj1979
    Options

here is the first post it clearly says "your body is in starvation mode"
  • psuLemon
    Options

here is the first post it clearly says "your body is in starvation mode"

I think there is a quoting issue here. Go back to the first page to see what I wrote. I clearly state its not starvation mode but do mention hormonal response such as the release of cortisol. I know metabolic adaptation wont even begin until you go 72 hours without food. But I do also know a under nourish body will fight weight loss. Its also the reason why I struggled to lose weight at 1800 calories daily but have no issue while on 2500-2700 calories. I cant also tell you I have helped first hand hundreds of people and seen thousands of success stories on this board by those who up their calories. This is why I suggested increasing calories to 1700, especially considering the op is 20. And since she only works out 30 min a day for 5-6 days I would consider her lightly active. Using harris benedict and cutting 20% puts her around 1700 calories.

I do take in consideration that she is competent enough to measure correctly. Its my suggestion and obviously the low calorie crap isnt working so why not try 2 months of higher calories. I would also suggest adding 200 calories a week until she hits 1700 and do not eat back exercise calories.
  • ldriver10
    ldriver10 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the helpful info. I looked into the Harris Benedict Equation and am going to try eating around 1700 calories a day and reduce my exercise regimen to 5 days/week, an hour a day and see how that works for the next few weeks. I have a Corebody Reformer which is a combination of cardio, yoga, and dance with resistance that I absolutely love working out on and I'm going to try to be patient but well it's hard ;) especially since my weight has yo-yo'd somewhere between 115-140 lbs for my entire adult life and being on the high end of my healthy weight isn't where I'm most comfortable.

I noticed some people were asking about how I weigh/measure my portions and in response to that I do have a kitchen scale I use religiously so I'm certain I wasn't going over the 1200 calories that I was eating previously. Also, I have recently been to see my doctor who said I was in great shape (sigh) and to look into weight training but that other than that no thyroid issues or anything health related to be concerned about.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the helpful info. I looked into the Harris Benedict Equation and am going to try eating around 1700 calories a day and reduce my exercise regimen to 5 days/week, an hour a day and see how that works for the next few weeks. I have a Corebody Reformer which is a combination of cardio, yoga, and dance with resistance that I absolutely love working out on and I'm going to try to be patient but well it's hard ;) especially since my weight has yo-yo'd somewhere between 115-140 lbs for my entire adult life and being on the high end of my healthy weight isn't where I'm most comfortable.

I noticed some people were asking about how I weigh/measure my portions and in response to that I do have a kitchen scale I use religiously so I'm certain I wasn't going over the 1200 calories that I was eating previously. Also, I have recently been to see my doctor who said I was in great shape (sigh) and to look into weight training but that other than that no thyroid issues or anything health related to be concerned about.

Ok, great! We know now how yu measure food.

Next question!

How have you been feeling?
  • ldriver10
    Options
    Overall I've been been fine although there have been days where I would work out and just be so exhausted afterwards that I couldn't do much of anything for the rest of the day.

Can I also ask to those that said I should up my caloric intake to 1700 cals/day, do I maintain this even on days where I do not exercise? I saw the equation takes into account my weekly exercise as opposed to my daily so I was going to assume that I continue to eat 1700 everyday but better to ask than not.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    If you don't feel hungry, I gotta wonder how much deficit is actually going on.

If you don't feel like crap, you probably aren't overdoing your deficit.
  • ldriver10
    Options
    I can honestly say the reason I probably don't feel hungry is that I've almost always eaten only 1200 calories even when I was just trying to maintain my weight. When I danced professionally I maintained 1200 (not NET) and was dancing for 4-5 hours a day so my body is used to conserving calories, I now realize this as I've begun to learn more about nutrition/exercise. Was this healthy for me to do? No, absolutely not but I was trying to maintain a certain standard in the way my body looked and I didn't really know the right way to do this at the time other than to eat very little effectively sending my body into constant conservation mode. I was almost definitely eating away at the lean muscle mass I would've probably produced otherwise.