When did you know it was time to maintain?

Options
Obviously when you hit your goal weight right? But what if your goals keep changing? :\

Were you ever unsure about maintaining when you started? How did you know it was the right time? Is it ever?

Replies

• HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    when my belt couldn't get any tighter due to the hip bones - no additional fat there ;) still little bit of chub around my belly, but working on that on maintenance calories
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    When I hit my initial weight, body composition and fitness goals it was time to maintain - that was end of 2012. After a while I set new goals (for all three) and have since nibbled my weight and body fat downwards in a series of mostly 3lb steps with periods of maintaining in between. Now 14lbs under my original goal weight.
    My original goal was to get back to my happiest/best weight in my 20's but that didn't turn out to be the best weight for me in my 50's.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i got to my goal weight... maintained for about a year and then decided i wanted to lose some more bodyfat... my weight is only a couple of pounds lighter but i am a lot smaller... i am now maintaining while i'm training for a 10k... in the new year i might try and cut a bit more fat...

if you're not sure, do it for a few weeks, and then reassess - for example between now and the new year would be a great tiem to maintain and enjoy a bit more food!!!
  • yafashelli
    yafashelli Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    This is a great question, and I am excited to see the answers. :smile:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I haven't hit my goal weight yet, but once I do, I will eat at maintenance for a while and see: Too hard, increase calories. Too easy, reduce calories. Then I will let my body settle at the weight it wants to be. What's the point of being skinny if I'm going to be miserable? And if it's too easy and I still have a bit of a chub, why not take it off?
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    Options
    Once I reached my original goal weight (I had an ultra secret goal that I was too afraid to put in writing in case I didn't get there - hehe) I just carried on with what I was doing & let mother nature take it's course.

My weight has pretty much leveled off & stabilized at a very comfortable place which can be effortlessly maintained.

But I think a better question to ask yourself is where are you most comfortable in maintaining for the long run?

Good luck!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    When I had about 7 lbs to go until my goal weight (which hasn't changed since I set it super-scientifically as BMI equivalent of 21.5..). I still have things I want to work on like improving muscle definition, so the goal weight is just one indicator. Also, I'm now petite XS in practically all store sizes and if I go any lower, getting clothes to fit will become a major headache.

I don't know if unsure is the right word to describe it. It is taking a lot of trial and error to get the calories right (I'm trying a "base" calorie setting, and then eating back all the calories burned according to my Vivofit and HRM - I may increase/decrease my base calories depending on how the next month goes). "Challenging", "interesting" and "exciting" are better words for how I feel about it.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    As for me I did not have a goal weight since I didn't know how I would look at a particular weight. I did have a dress size and measurement range in mind however.

I just got to a point where I was really happy with my body and did not want to get smaller. Also I felt comfortable with my workout plans and eating habits so I decided to move to maintenance.

I slowly increased my calories week by week, kept my workouts the same and monitored how things were going. That point of time for me was much, much tougher than losing. I think because there were no more celebrations like "I'm down another half inch in my waist!"

At that point I decided to challenge myself and focus on reaching fitness goals. Almost 2 years in it has really helped me maintain.

Good luck OP!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    When I hit my desired level of BF%. Goal weight is pretty arbitrary...scale weight is made up of a lot of things, not just fat...BF% is a much better measure, particularly when used in conjunction with the scale and a mirror.

I would also add that a lot of people make the mistake of thinking they need to lose more weight...and keep losing more and more weight...and more and more weight, etc. They think this because they are "soft"...and in reality they don't need to lose weight, they need to do some resistance work and work on their body composition.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I adjusted my goal a few times - but honestly my first few goals were benchmarks at best. When I started out I didn't know what a final goal would be. As my weight got lower, I could hone in on that.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm about 10lbs off my desired goal weight, but have been maintaining for about 5 months. Seems my body has settled in at this point and to be perfectly honest, I'd like to lose that last little bit, but I'm pretty happy where I'm at. I like knowing how I can eat and exercise and having the wiggle room from day to day. There are other things I want to focus on right now, such as body fat and strength, so maintaining is really working for me.
  • cdcjensen
    cdcjensen Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The "normal" range for my height/build is a spread of 30 lbs. Not knowing what anything in that range would like in my 40's (was last in that range when I was in my 20's), I made my goal right in the middle of that 30 lbs range. As I reached the final 5 lbs to the goal, I realized I just needed to hit my goal once so I could psychologically move on from "weight loss mode" and move into "maintenance mode". Sure enough, the day I hit that arbitrary goal, the scale stopped mattering. Since then, it's been how I look and feel. That made me realize that the process of losing weight had me too focused on a number, but the second I stopped trying to lose weight, it became about how I look and feel, and that, I think, is when I figured out that where I'm happiest now is actually a few pounds higher than what my goal was but isn't even an "exact" number. I wish I could have gotten to this mindset just by monitoring my clothes and looking in a mirror, but after years of being so overweight, it was hard to have a non-distorted view...for some reason, I "needed" a number tied to it to feel I was successful, but once I hit the goal once and could say I was successful, all perspective changed for the better. Probably not the type of insight you were looking for, but that "how do I know" issue was very real for me, too, and I only figured it out after I hit my arbitrary goal and then felt I could move past the number and settle into a more meaningful gauge.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    This is a good question. I started at 188 pounds and my original goal was the 172 that was the top of my healthy BMI and a point I had been at for the prior 15 years (I had a sudden weight jump). I put my goal in at 165 but never thought I'd get there. Dropped easily to 172 and then 165 and reset my goal to 160. Easily hit that. Then my goal range was 150-155, the weight I was when I graduated from college. That took longer, but I did hit 150 and then stopped. I had been that weight after both my kids were born and I was nursing. I know I get grumpy if I weight less than that. At that point I was lower than I ever expected to hit at my age and maintained for a year.

Then I dropped 4 pounds more and had to up my calories to maintain there. Your body keeps changing. But a good healthy BMI in the middle to bottom of the range seems like a good goal for health. Then you go for fitness.
  • mjglantz
    mjglantz Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Obviously when you hit your goal weight right? But what if your goals keep changing? :\

Were you ever unsure about maintaining when you started? How did you know it was the right time? Is it ever?

I initially had a higher goal weight but then I had a heart attack after losing 50 pounds (bummer) and decided I had to get to "normal" BMI. After i hit that I added calories but I also was doing more cardio and strength. I finally settled in at a weight range between 141 - 144 and that is my goal weight.

• 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options

I was fit coming out of the USMC and had also been an athlete. I knew my body, so when I set my goals, I knew exactly where to aim. Once I hit that weight after losing 93 pounds, I then knew the exact body fat percentage I desired at this maintained weight.
    If you don't know these things, do whatever you must do to learn.
    Know and love your body!
    fhpyvuah1w41.jpg

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    You can take a maintenance break any time. If you get sick of restricting, its not a bad idea to stop and stabilise your weight for a while. But ultimately, you want to keep losing weight until you are in your healthy weight range and happy with your appearance. That said being still in the overweight range is not so much unhealthy as just not so attractive as being slimmer.

Sorry to hear about your heart attack mjglantz but being a bit fatter was probably not the cause of your heart attack and being slimmer may not save you from further health issues. At this stage its probably much more important to improve the quality of your diet, reduce stress, be moderately fit. Just my opinion for the most part but health experts also say that women who are moderately overweight do not have a higher health risk.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I hit first GW in Feb of this year...wanted to lose 10 more. So I did and was there by May....

So all summer I ate at maitenance or slighly below (since I kept losing) and since I had lost another 5 over the 3 months of summer I though eh why not another 5.

It's almost time for maitenance again...just because I want to see what 6-12months can do for my body comp...
  • pipmcgrath
    pipmcgrath Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I haven't hit my goal weight yet, but once I do, I will eat at maintenance for a while and see: Too hard, increase calories. Too easy, reduce calories. Then I will let my body settle at the weight it wants to be. What's the point of being skinny if I'm going to be miserable? And if it's too easy and I still have a bit of a chub, why not take it off?

Couldn't have said it better myself. I have lost 6.7 stone and wanted to go another 14 lbs but I honestly don't think I can lose anymore without eating any less or being miserable. My body is stubbornly holding onto being in and around this weight and has been now for months.

I officially hate BMI coz according to mine I'm still overweight!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    when I hit my goal weight, now I am still toning but more weightloss needed.

29509743.png
  • keefmac
    keefmac Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm 4 kilos under my original goal weight now and just about happy!. Still top end of heathy BMI but if I aimed for the lower end I'll look to thin..