When did you know it was time to maintain?

Options
2»

Replies

• jane837
    jane837 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, not knowing when it's the right time... I'd been "overweight" to "obese" since I was probably 12 years old, so I had no idea what normal would look or feel like for me, and I worried a lot that I wouldn't know it when I saw it. I started with a 100-pounds-lost goal (which put me into a healthy BMI range), but then when I reached it, I realized I wanted to lose a little more.

I was relieved when what I wanted for myself became clearer as I got closer to my current maintenance weight. Here's how I knew I wanted to stop losing:

- I was very comfortable with the size of clothing I fit into and the fashion options available. It seemed like my happiness and health wasn't going to be improved by being able to fit into an Extra-Small versus a Small, or a size 6 jeans instead of a size 8.

- I was beginning to feel like certain parts of my body were as thin as I wanted them to be (even though other parts were definitely NOT as thin as I wanted). I wasn't going to be able to change my pear shape by further weight loss, and didn't want to make myself look emaciated in the process.

- I was finally ready to get serious about building muscle and strength, which is MUCH easier to do now that I'm eating at a maintenance level.

Hope that helps!
  • lisele03
    lisele03 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    jane837 wrote: »
    ... Here's how I knew I wanted to stop losing:

- I was very comfortable with the size of clothing I fit into and the fashion options available. It seemed like my happiness and health wasn't going to be improved by being able to fit into an Extra-Small versus a Small, or a size 6 jeans instead of a size 8.

- I was beginning to feel like certain parts of my body were as thin as I wanted them to be (even though other parts were definitely NOT as thin as I wanted). I wasn't going to be able to change my pear shape by further weight loss, and didn't want to make myself look emaciated in the process.

- I was finally ready to get serious about building muscle and strength, which is MUCH easier to do now that I'm eating at a maintenance level.

Now THAT makes sense to me!!! Great job btw!

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I will know when I reach the goal I set with the help of my doctor and nutritionist. I will weigh 120 lbs and my BMI will be about 21. :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    mssheddy wrote: »
    I'm about 10lbs off my desired goal weight, but have been maintaining for about 5 months. Seems my body has settled in at this point and to be perfectly honest, I'd like to lose that last little bit, but I'm pretty happy where I'm at. I like knowing how I can eat and exercise and having the wiggle room from day to day. There are other things I want to focus on right now, such as body fat and strength, so maintaining is really working for me.

^^ this ☺....only I'm 3 lbs away from my original goal but I'm no longer bothered cos I'm happy with how I look now ☺..If it happens it happens lol
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I originally went with an arbitrary weight then when I got near there I realized I was more interested in a BF% so that was more my target. I ended up lowering my target weight by a few pounds and it worked out where I wanted to be with my BF% and now I'm trying to recomp a bit for a couple extra BF% without losing more weight.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    ....and I didn't want to have to go and buy yet more smaller sizes ...size (UK)10 will do me very nicely thank you very much ☺ going from 14 to 12 to 10 is jolly expensive lol
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm still not happy but I don't want it enough to lose the last few pounds, so I've pretty much been maintaining for a few months. So I guess the answer is when you're just tired of eating at a big deficit (still trying to keep a small one though).
  • cliffodom1
    cliffodom1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm now petite XS in practically all store sizes

That is a problem I see. We don't have sizes anymore. We have small medium and large. They took a generic human and made generic sizes for them. But we are not generic. I am a 16-37. That means my neck size is 16 inches and my arm length is 37 inches. I also hate the size 16-36/37. I ask the clerk is it 36 or 37 and they always laugh because they never have that questioned. I had one of my employees that never could get clothes that fit him after he lost weight and I sent him to a grown up store (Nordstroms) to have them size him.

• dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    cliffodom1 wrote: »

That is a problem I see. We don't have sizes anymore. We have small medium and large. They took a generic human and made generic sizes for them. But we are not generic. I am a 16-37. That means my neck size is 16 inches and my arm length is 37 inches. I also hate the size 16-36/37. I ask the clerk is it 36 or 37 and they always laugh because they never have that questioned. I had one of my employees that never could get clothes that fit him after he lost weight and I sent him to a grown up store (Nordstroms) to have them size him.

I'm honestly considering asking a friend of mine in China to send me stuff to try on, or buying online from China, because the sizes there are smaller (I'd probably be a medium or maybe large). I've had to return things recently because they were the smallest size in the store and they were too big. And I'm not miniscule!! I'm 1" shorter than the US average, and slap bang in the middle of the "healthy" BMI range, with "healthy" body fat. It's a terrible indictment of the current and future health of the US, quite frankly.

• NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    My experience has been that you'll need to play with 5-15 lbs. up/down to see where you feel the best. I think that I 'feel' the best in the 10-12% BF range, but most people say I look the best about 10-15 lbs. heavier. Lots of people bash the BMI scale, but for the majority of people, you will fall somewhere in the that BMI range based on your height and bone structure.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yeah sizes here are pretty messed up. I'm still curvy (133 pounds for 5'5" with a medium/large frame) and I wear small... could probably fit in XS tops now (although breasts might be a problem, lol). And I fit fine in the smallest size of panties I could find (the basic Hanes stuff). Makes me wonder what small framed thin women actually wear.

For what it's worth, I bought some XL stuff in France 3 years ago, when I was 200 pounds, and it was very tight, now I wear it and it's about as loose as the L stuff here. So yeah, European countries at least have smaller sizes, I'd probably be a M there.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    cliffodom1 wrote: »

My poor husband has a 17.5" neck, needs a 34-35 in sleeve length and wears a 33 waist pant. Before the advent of "slim cut" "modern fit" etc dress shirts, he had to wear the same size shirt as his dad who has a 42" waist. Can we say tent?

• chouflour
    chouflour Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Makes me wonder what small framed thin women actually wear.

The ones I know shop in the childrens/juniors department. They tell me that the clothes are cheaper, but the selection is frequently... odd.