Yes. I'm going to ask a question about skipping breakfast.

Options

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day." The nutritionist Monica Reinagel has argued the metabolic benefits have been exaggerated, noting the improvement in cognition has been found among children, but is much less significant among adults. Reinagel also explains that the link between skipping breakfast and increased weight is likely behavioral—compensating with snacks and/or eating more later—and therefore not inevitable.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is whatever meal breaks your fast, so you can have it in the evening if it suits you. Doctors can say whatever they want, but remember that they aren't nutritionists. Sure, they know a little about nutrition and how it affects you, but it's not their field of expertise. Their area is illness, not food and when you should eat it. The human body isn't so delicate and rubbish that not eating at a specific time stops it working. Eat when it suits you, not when you believe social convention requires you to.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Why is skipping breakfast bad? It's only bad if by skipping breakfast you think it gives you a license to overeat later in the day or if you feel hungry or tired because you don't eat it. If you're staying within your calorie limits then what does it matter?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Your metabolism only stops when you're dead. Conversely, anything that would increase your metabolic rate to the dramatic and immediate level implied by the "breakfast kickstarts your metabolism" nonsense, would kill you.

If you find it helps with mental clarity or appetite management, by all means enjoy a breakfast. If not, it's not worth worrying about.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    adowe wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    There is NOTHING wrong with skipping breakfast. Meal timing doesn't matter. Just eat when you're hungry.

I wouldnt listen to this. This is very dismissive of what many doctors will tell you is the most important meal of the day.

I wouldn't listen to this. Meal timing plays no role in weight loss.
    You can break your fast at any time, be it 6 am or 6 pm or anytime between.
    It is "the most important meal of the day" was started by the cereal companies.

Also your metabolism will not be boosted or kick started. it's always running.

Appreciated that only calorie deficit = weight loss (metabolism is one of the most, but to dismiss breakfast comprehensively is just not recommended. A simple and typical breakfast can fill you up for a few hours for the cost of around 200-300 calories. Snacks or larger meals designed to combat hunger often just take up more.

Not recommended by whom?

Please read the information provided by ILiftHeavyAcrylics.
    Some great stuff in there.
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat a traditional breakfast for breakfast. Sometimes I eat my leftovers from the night before as breakfast. I just log the food. Think outside the box.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    There is NOTHING wrong with skipping breakfast. Meal timing doesn't matter. Just eat when you're hungry.

I wouldnt listen to this. This is very dismissive of what many doctors will tell you is the most important meal of the day.

Appreciated that only calorie deficit = weight loss (metabolism is one of the most, but to dismiss breakfast comprehensively is just not recommended. A simple and typical breakfast can fill you up for a few hours for the cost of around 200-300 calories. Snacks or larger meals designed to combat hunger often just take up more.

And why would you do that if you're not hungry to begin with?
  • Takethetree
    Options
    This is worth a read: http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html (esp Myth 7: 'Skipping breakfast is bad and will make you fat.')

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I wouldnt force yourself. but I like breakfast and its important for me to get some complex carbs in to provide a steady amount of energy. This lets me focus and be more productive during the day until lunchtime.

Thats a different aspect to the weight loss argument.
  • mrsdenno82
    Options
    "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" was started by cereal companies.
    "Breakfast" means to "Break your fast". So "Breakfast" can be at 6am or 6pm.
    Some people find that eating breakfast fills them up for the day and spaces out snacks and meals.
    Others find that eating breakfast leads to a day of overeating.
    Some people find that they feel ill, weak or generally lazy without breakfast.
    Some people find that they feel the above if they DO eat breakfast.
    Your daily amount of calories, in a 24 hour period, and the quality of those calories supports weight loss. Whether you eat from 6pm to 6pm or 6am to 6am is irrelevant.
  • NOKINCHANCE
    Options
    Lembas bread.
  • bebdinosaur
    bebdinosaur Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    the whole 'breakfast is the most important meal of the day' thing, is not true. It was based on a not so solid study, and was spread around like wildfire. It's really whatever works for you. If your body hates eating first thing in the morning, don't eat- save your calories for later. I also have a hard time eating in the morning. I only do it because it's hard to reach my goal otherwise.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Paging steve098
    I have regularly skipped breakfast most of my life. When I was in shape and out.
    I'm back in shape (mostly) and skip breakfast. It's up to you what helps you keep at the correct calorie level.
  • mzbek24
    mzbek24 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Why force yourself to eat if you don't feel hungry? Eat when you feel hungry. As long as you are eating enough throughout the day that is all that matters. I often don't feel hungry until 11am so eat then.
    The whole breakfast starts your metabolism thing is a myth. In fact it makes me hungrier and want to eat more before lunch.

Agree with this! honestly, if you are hitting your calorie goals and feel happy without breakfast, then meal timing is really irrelevant. Do what works for you, and you will be more likely to stick to it. I put my diary to say "first meal, second meal, third meal", and snacks etc because I just eat when I eat and focus on my goals. Also, sometimes if my meals are too spaced out, I end up getting really hungry at night time and have to fight the naughty snacking after dinner!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

And why would you do that if you're not hungry to begin with?

Generally people dont wake up starving, but eat on the principal that it is good to start eating early....
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Why force yourself to eat if you don't feel hungry? Eat when you feel hungry. As long as you are eating enough throughout the day that is all that matters. I often don't feel hungry until 11am so eat then.
    The whole breakfast starts your metabolism thing is a myth. In fact it makes me hungrier and want to eat more before lunch.

^This...

Forcing yourself to eat IMO is just as bad as forcing yourself not to eat. Nothing magical about breakfast...
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Breakfast really is important if for any other reason than to give your body fuel to start the day. Wait an hour or so after you get up to try and eat, that may help. I was up at 3:40 this morning and off to the gym but I typically don't eat breakfast until about 8am. By that time I'm literally starving :) You don't have to eat a ton at breakfast, you can keep it small. I have oatmeal pretty much every morning but that is me, I'm a creature of habit and it works well for me! Try some fruit or maybe some yogurt and almonds. If you Google quick easy light breakfasts I bet you come up with a ton of options.

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Breakfast really is important if for any other reason than to give your body fuel to start the day. Wait an hour or so after you get up to try and eat, that may help. I was up at 3:40 this morning and off to the gym but I typically don't eat breakfast until about 8am. By that time I'm literally starving :) You don't have to eat a ton at breakfast, you can keep it small. I have oatmeal pretty much every morning but that is me, I'm a creature of habit and it works well for me! Try some fruit or maybe some yogurt and almonds. If you Google quick easy light breakfasts I bet you come up with a ton of options.
    So in your case, it's no different than someone getting up at 7-8 am and waiting until noon to eat breakfast which most people would consider as skipping breakfast.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you don't like breakfast then skip it and eat later..

there is nothing bad about skipping breakfast..

breakfasts is most important meal of day = myth
    breakfast kickstart metabolism = myth
    you need to eat breakfast to lose weight = myth
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    RosieLoo24 wrote: »
    I'm surprised people are saying there is nothing wrong with skipping breakfast. I've always heard it is the worst thing you can do. Kick starting your metabolism and all that

you have been suckered by the breakfast and fitness industry …this is myth...