Yes. I'm going to ask a question about skipping breakfast.

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    Where's Steve98? It's right up his alley. Maybe he's busy or something...you know since he teaches at a medical school.

Yeah but only with that one book
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    Paging steve098
    I have regularly skipped breakfast most of my life. When I was in shape and out.
    I'm back in shape (mostly) and skip breakfast. It's up to you what helps you keep at the correct calorie level.

Seriously, how is this the only topic he doesn't spam with his book?!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    Paging steve098
    I have regularly skipped breakfast most of my life. When I was in shape and out.
    I'm back in shape (mostly) and skip breakfast. It's up to you what helps you keep at the correct calorie level.

Seriously, how is this the only topic he doesn't spam with his book?!
    His name has only been mentioned 2 times in this thread, you have to say it out loud 3 time for it to appear.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Ultimately your ability to succeed in the long term for weight loss or weight maintenance will come down to how well you can adhere to your diet.

As such, if eating breakfast makes it easier for you to adhere to your calorie and macronutrient targets, then you should eat breakfast.

If eating breakfast makes it tougher for you to adhere to your calorie and macronutrient targets, then you should skip breakfast.

And that answer is going to differ from person to person.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I don't see it as an issue. I have coffee in the AM. Around ten, I'm ready for a banana or something. Then I have a small lunch, a regular dinner, and a small evening snack such as a cup of blueberries. I don't believe in forcing food when yr not hungry!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I am not hungry early in the morning. I have the option to wait until later, so I eat when I get hungry. There are plenty of quick things to eat in the morning if you really want to. eggs, oatmeal, yogurt are some.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body and eat when you're genuinely hungry. I have a small breakfast because if I don't I feel weak halfway through my commute. If I didn't, I'd rather save the calories for mid-afternoon when I start getting the hungries and want to eat up all my snacks.
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I am also in the "Not Hungry In The Morning" camp. The only time I force myself to eat is if I know that lunch may not be an option, or it will come late. Only eating when you are actually hungry is probably a good thing!
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    RosieLoo24 wrote: »
    So ever since I was little, I've had trouble eating breakfast. When I do eat breakfast, I'm basically forcing myself to eat it. I know it sounds weird, but any other time of the day, I can eat a bowl of breakfast cereal or a piece of toast. I know skipping breakfast is so bad, so does anyone have any advice? Something new I could try? Things that are quick and easy would be great. Thanks guys :)

I often have to wait for an hour or so after waking up to feel like I can eat anything. Maybe do a short work out after getting up and before breakfast.
    I don't really like breakfast food for breakfast. Soup, a sandwich, salad, or leftovers are all more appealing to me in the morning than more common breakfast foods. Try different foods for breakfast.
    Maybe you could just sip a smoothie for breakfast. They are fast to make.
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I usually have something on standby that's easy to "grab and go". So, since I'm on a diet... A slimfast smoothie, or a breakfast bar etc. Toast, yoghurt and fruit, or cereal all take time to prepare, but prepackaged stuff doesn't! So if you're not a morning person...
  • 2lhasas
    2lhasas Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wait until you are hungry to eat. There are plenty of very fit people who do not eat breakfast, or have something very small like a piece of fruit. The whole idea that you must eat breakfast is a myth. Google it. There are plenty of articles out there, and the intermittent fasting crowd has been skipping breakfast forever. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/john-berardi-phd/breakfast-health_b_4436439.html
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Lorleee wrote: »
    Listen to your body and eat when you're genuinely hungry. I have a small breakfast because if I don't I feel weak halfway through my commute. If I didn't, I'd rather save the calories for mid-afternoon when I start getting the hungries and want to eat up all my snacks.

This wouldn't work for me.....I am always hungry.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    Ultimately your ability to succeed in the long term for weight loss or weight maintenance will come down to how well you can adhere to your diet.

As such, if eating breakfast makes it easier for you to adhere to your calorie and macronutrient targets, then you should eat breakfast.

If eating breakfast makes it tougher for you to adhere to your calorie and macronutrient targets, then you should skip breakfast.

And that answer is going to differ from person to person.

This is really all that is needed to be said.

• DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    RosieLoo24 wrote: »
    I'm surprised people are saying there is nothing wrong with skipping breakfast. I've always heard it is the worst thing you can do. Kick starting your metabolism and all that

Only skipping breakfast when you are hungry is bad. if you are not hungry, then no biggie.
  • Remaking_Me
    Remaking_Me Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this my entire life. Eating breakfast used to even make me feel nauseated.
    My trick? Now, at the recommendation of a 'nutrition' person, the SECOND I wake up, I drink a bottle of water (all of it) and within 40 min, I am good to eat.
    And make sure you dont eat after 7 at night- so your tummy has a chance to get hungry over night.
    - Workout hard too, and push that metabolism up!

• Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    mrsdenno82 wrote: »
    "Breakfast is the most important meal of the day" was started by cereal companies.
    "Breakfast" means to "Break your fast". So "Breakfast" can be at 6am or 6pm.
    Some people find that eating breakfast fills them up for the day and spaces out snacks and meals.
    Others find that eating breakfast leads to a day of overeating.
    Some people find that they feel ill, weak or generally lazy without breakfast.
    Some people find that they feel the above if they DO eat breakfast.
    Your daily amount of calories, in a 24 hour period, and the quality of those calories supports weight loss. Whether you eat from 6pm to 6pm or 6am to 6am is irrelevant.

That's exectly right. You need to find a plan that works for you and that you will stick to. I personally break my fast six or seven hours after I get out of bed, between 11 and noon. I always have, fat or fit.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Encouraged by the fact that there is no scientific base to the rule that " breakfast is the most important meal of the day " and after eating breakfast for 65 years, I quit last year in April and never felt better.
    Meal timing and frequency is only personal preference, nothing more.
    You are perfectly fine, if you prefer not to eat breakfast at it's conventional time.
    Good Luck !
  • sparkynazca
    sparkynazca Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm another one of those people that feel nauseated right after they wake up. Most foods that are typically breakfast foods make me sick to think of at any time of the day. I usually take my breakfast at least two hours after waking up, and I've found that if I don't eat breakfast in the morning, I am not actually hungry until around noon or so.

I've had to force myself to start eating breakfast around 10am these days due to my work schedule. If I don't eat then, I won't have another chance to eat until 3pm, and I'm most certainly hungry by then!

I've found a container of low fat yogurt, and maybe some fruit does nicely. These don't require any preparation. Sometimes I have some instant oatmeal - you can just put hot water in it, then forget about it for a while.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I break all the eating rules. I get up at 5:30am, eat something around 10-11. Lunch around 1:30-2. Workout around 5-6:30. Dinner around 8:30. Snack around 9:30. Bed at 10 to 10:30.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this my entire life. Eating breakfast used to even make me feel nauseated.
    My trick? Now, at the recommendation of a 'nutrition' person, the SECOND I wake up, I drink a bottle of water (all of it) and within 40 min, I am good to eat.
    And make sure you dont eat after 7 at night- so your tummy has a chance to get hungry over night.
    - Workout hard too, and push that metabolism up!

Nothing wrong with eating after 7pm either.
    Why would I want my tummy to has a chance to get hungry overnight?