Addicted to sugar

Options

Replies

• theloodevil
    theloodevil Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Not to get in to a serious debate but what if you do need to give it up completely to be able to control it. (Not that it is the same as alcoholism) I wouldn't think it would be ok to have an alcoholic pick a different drink of choice you know. I could really use some cake eater anonymous. haha just trying to lighten the mood ;-)
    And here it goes again. Comparing sugar to being an alcoholic.
    So is alcohol the only thing that can be addictive and treated as such?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Not to get in to a serious debate but what if you do need to give it up completely to be able to control it. (Not that it is the same as alcoholism) I wouldn't think it would be ok to have an alcoholic pick a different drink of choice you know. I could really use some cake eater anonymous. haha just trying to lighten the mood ;-)
    So is alcohol the only thing that can be addictive and treated as such?

Any person can get addicted to anything. That's a neurological problem. Sugar is not an addictive substance like alcohol is. Hence, the annoyance (I think).
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Is this thread about sugar or alcohol ? Getting trolley up in here.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Keep your focus on the target and that is how you are going to reduce your calories down to ccreate a deficit of which part of that may well require you to eat less candy. Im sure there are those on here so one eyed about the deficit who would be happy if you ate just sweets as long as there was a deficit.
  • theloodevil
    Options
    Thanks 999 you're right. I guess what I was getting at is for me just one is not an option and I don't think the switching to the fake sugars is a good idea either. Think I am going to try the fruit in water someone mentioned throughout the day. Last major weight loss I had was from a restrictive meal plan but I am not sure in this new start that is what I want to do because I want to be able to live me life.
  • Kellyfitness128
    Kellyfitness128 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I used to have this same problem and I tried cutting it out cold turkey for a month and that only made me binge on it after (and I had cravings the whole time). The only solution I've found is to increase my fruit/carbohydrate intake. Now, I RARELY crave any artificial sweets. The only processed sugar I eat is a few teaspoons of brown sugar in my oats. So, I suggest eating fruit whenever you crave sugar and see if that helps :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Keep your focus on the target and that is how you are going to reduce your calories down to ccreate a deficit of which part of that may well require you to eat less candy. Im sure there are those on here so one eyed about the deficit who would be happy if you ate just sweets as long as there was a deficit.

I don't think anybody here has said that, or even insinuated that.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Thanks 999 you're right. I guess what I was getting at is for me just one is not an option and I don't think the switching to the fake sugars is a good idea either. Think I am going to try the fruit in water someone mentioned throughout the day. Last major weight loss I had was from a restrictive meal plan but I am not sure in this new start that is what I want to do because I want to be able to live me life.

Not to be rude, but trying to cut out sugar/sweets is a restrictive meal plan. There's nothing wrong with giving yourself a period of time away from sweets to reset and work on your habits, but at some point you'll need to figure out how to live in a world where sweets are a reality.

You may want to try some mindful eating workbooks, emotional eating workbooks, or even workbooks for addiction (even though sugar "addiction" isn't a real "addiction" in the same sense of something like cocaine).

Having just one can be an option - it just isn't at this point. The reality is that most people can't just stop eating all sweets, so learning how to eat them without going overboard can be instrumental in helping you be successful long-term.
  • theloodevil
    Options
    Oh no I am talking restrictive meal plan like eating the exact same foods everyday at the same times no changes. Situation of pick your poison, if the plan is track my foods and stay within goals I know I can get more of something else by avoiding the sweets I currently love. I did without the sugar during my 4 months on that meal plan and did have good results (50 pound loss). I messed up when I changed jobs and moved by not following any rules and doing whatever I wanted which put me right back where I was before all the work. Lifestyle change didn't stick.
  • 999tigger
    Options

Here I meant these forums in the context they seem so one eyed about the deficit its at the expense of all else. They cling to the deficit argument without considering the sustainability or other implications of a diet.

OP what D husba said above, theres no need to be afraid, just be practical and realistic. If you cnat cope and wont eat them in moderation or as your diet allows, then simply dont have them in the house. As I said there were plenty of chocolate replacement/ stregies hat people were using in a previous thread which youcan search for. The sweets are just one factor, there are other aspects like learning how to log accurately and consistently which require your attention as well.

Whatever you decide run it past the forum or your mfp friends for feedback. You cna do it just like other people if you apply your mind to it and focus.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Learn how to make them last, hard candy lasts longer than chocolate.

I guess, but chocolate tastes far better. IMO, hard candy is always wasted calories. It's in a bowl in my office and while an invitation to utterly mindless eating, isn't hard to ignore.

A small piece of high quality chocolate has few calories and IMO is worth it and much more satisfying.

/pointless quibbling re matters of taste
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Cuz the other post about this exact same thing going on right now wasn't good enough...Yawn
  • 999tigger
    Options

Here I meant these forums in the context they seem so one eyed about the deficit its at the expense of all else. They cling to the deficit argument without considering the sustainability or other implications of a diet.

OP what D husba said above, theres no need to be afraid, just be practical and realistic. If you cnat cope and wont eat them in moderation or as your diet allows, then simply dont have them in the house. As I said there were plenty of chocolate replacement/ stregies hat people were using in a previous thread which youcan search for. The sweets are just one factor, there are other aspects like learning how to log accurately and consistently which require your attention as well.

Whatever you decide run it past the forum or your mfp friends for feedback. You cna do it just like other people if you apply your mind to it and focus.

No, that's just how people interpret what we say. It's all extreme with people who have an issue with others that say it's fine to eat candy or cookies or ice cream. Then the rebuttal is "Oh, so you're saying you can eat candy and cookies all day and lose weight as long as you're in deficit ". No one actually said that but then we are told "Well that's what you meant". You twist words because your argument is weak.

No you are completely wrong. I have no issue with people who say you cna eat candu or cookies necayse Oh look I saud the same multiple times in most of my posts to the OP and was encouraging her to not cut out or deminise any food. That said I have seen posts in the past where people focus only on the deficit without looking at the bigger picture.

I like your little bit of creative fiction because I havent accused you or anyone on this particular thread of saying what you decided to invent which is pathetic. You are the one twisting words.

On the posts I have made I have supported the idea that she still eats candy and ice cream or whatever floats her boat although she now must face the reality that she will have to at them in moderation to reduce her calories.
  • 4bettermenow
    4bettermenow Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I tried cold turkey...all I got was headaches, muscle aches and a binge fest. So I took baby steps instead. It took me a good month before I stopped craving cookies, chocolate and such. Now, I don't crave them at all. I set my limit of sugar to 20 mg and read all the labels. I also don't buy any process sweet treats. If I want them, I gotta bake it. And most days that's too much work. Lol I don't however count the sugar in fruits or veggies. It's a process...baby steps if you can. Good luck. I truly believe loss of sugar has helped me tremendously.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I know I need to get off of my addiction to sugar. I just don't know if I am powerful enough to do it cold turkey. Does anyone have any advice?
    I have tried sugar free gum when I would normally want it. I think I would need gum 24/7. Has anyone ever talked to a doctor about this?
    I have 200 pounds to lose I know I have to get rid of this horrible habit.
    I suggest you try eating sugar in controlled portions. Weight out your sweet and just eat that portion.

If I can learn portion control with sugar, then anyone can.

• lizzyrose418
    lizzyrose418 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Making any lifestyle change can be difficult, but I'm sure you will feel so much better without it.

If you feel that cutting it out cold turkey is too difficult for you at this time, why don't you focus on cutting down the sugar, and adding in mini goals like drinking more water, or going for a walk three times a week?

Changing your lifestyle doesn't happen overnight, but with willpower and small changes, you can achieve your goals!
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    One cheat meal per week, easy solution