All I Think About is Food

Options
I have been watching what I eat for a couple months now due to some bad cholesterol numbers and decided to lose weight as a result. Getting up early to work out is tough, but something I can power through depending on my work and kids' schedules.

Limiting my calories is another matter. I have been pretty good the past couple weeks (especially getting rid of my 2-3 beers per night), but I am concerned that pretty much all I think is food. I would have expected my stomach to shrink to where I am not hungry all the time, but no dice.

For example, this morning I needed to get to work early, so I missed working out (I did workout last night for 30 minutes). I decided to eat a bigger breakfast today, 12 0z of oatmeal with a banana. 2 hours later my stomach is grumbling like a idling semi. I know I had very little protein, but come on.

Just a bit of a rant, here's to staying strong and crushing goals. Best of luck people.

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough?
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Pre log to make sure you are getting a good balance of fat, protein and carbs (including fiber) at each meal. I found keeping these balanced was a key in keeping me full. By pre logging you can tweak before you eat.
  • Basilin
    Basilin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    thebejota wrote: »
    I have been watching what I eat for a couple months now due to some bad cholesterol numbers and decided to lose weight as a result. Getting up early to work out is tough, but something I can power through depending on my work and kids' schedules.

Limiting my calories is another matter. I have been pretty good the past couple weeks (especially getting rid of my 2-3 beers per night), but I am concerned that pretty much all I think is food. I would have expected my stomach to shrink to where I am not hungry all the time, but no dice.

For example, this morning I needed to get to work early, so I missed working out (I did workout last night for 30 minutes). I decided to eat a bigger breakfast today, 12 0z of oatmeal with a banana. 2 hours later my stomach is grumbling like a idling semi. I know I had very little protein, but come on.

Just a bit of a rant, here's to staying strong and crushing goals. Best of luck people.

Personally, I never get full by eating oatmeal and a banana. I don't know why oatmeal is never filling for a long period of time (not enough fat/protein?).

Another thing I've noticed is if I eat early, I get hungrier and want to eat more through the day. If I eat later (like 10 to 11pm) I don't. Maybe you're the same way.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I have to add some protein and/or fat to oatmeal for it to fill me up, personally. Nut butters work best, but even then, it will only fill me up for 3-4 hours.

And yeah, I think about food all the time. I've pretty much decided to accept it. I've still lost 80 pounds.
  • maggiegirl65
    maggiegirl65 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sometimes just adding an ounce of protein to your breakfast can make a difference. I find if I eat simple carbohydrates I get hungry faster. I like a tablespoon of peanut butter on an English muffin, or an ounce of hard cheese on a toasted muffin or l slice of multigrain bread. An hard boiled egg on toast is good too.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have 1/2 cup of oatmeal and a tbsp. of peanut butter for breakfast every morning. I started at over 300 pounds over a month ago, so I am obviously used to eating tons! I find that this keeps me quite satisfied until around 11:30 am, which is lunchtime. I am female, so I am sure I am allotted fewer calories than you, but my point is-- add the protein! If I don't eat any protein for breakfast I am starving in an hour. Maybe eat your oatmeal and add 2 tbsp. if your calories allow.
  • Milvardea
    Options
    Add some fat to your oatmeal. Almonds, almond butter, peanut butter, other nuts.
  • ewhip17
    ewhip17 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    YNWA..... :-)
  • Basilin
    Options
    I like a tablespoon of peanut butter on an English muffin, or an ounce of hard cheese on a toasted muffin or l slice of multigrain bread. An hard boiled egg on toast is good too.

:yum:
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Yeah, all I think about is the beer I am unable to drink. Feel you, dawg.
  • Capt_Inzane
    Capt_Inzane Posts: 733 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Out of protein, carbs, and fat, fat takes the longest to break down. If you're eating carbs the body can burn those up pretty quickly so with that oatmeal you're getting carbs and then sugars from the banana. Both of those will be consumed fairly quick.

No real protein or fat to hold you over until snack then lunch time. You really need to plan ahead and know what you're going to eat and try to prepare it the day before if possible.

Add some greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, seeds such as flax or chia, etc to your breakfast routine and you'll find yourself being able to stay fuller longer.
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    4+ months into this and on the days that I am anywhere near my calorie goal, I have spent the whole day hungry. It is the month of pumpkin everything, so I have slacked, but when I was on target I spent nearly every moment of every day obsessing over what I could and could not eat. When I would get to eat next. How long until I can eat something. What can I cut so I can eat more. As far as I have experienced, if you are committed to this change, welcome to every day of the rest of your life.
  • stacyjh1979
    stacyjh1979 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I love my apples and cinnamon oatmeal but I'm hungry again about 15 minutes after I eat it...ok not quite that quick but I don't stay full long. I could probably eat 3-4 bowls if it weren't for the calories, it's just not filling for me :(
  • Basilin
    Options
    I love my apples and cinnamon oatmeal but I'm hungry again about 15 minutes after I eat it...ok not quite that quick but I don't stay full long. I could probably eat 3-4 bowls if it weren't for the calories, it's just not filling for me :(

Oatmeal: Forever a side dish. No excuses!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I must be weird, because oatmeal keeps me full for hours. I do add a little butter to it, so that must be why. I'll have to try peanut butter next time.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    try different food, try skipping breakfast, try green tea for appetite suppression, eat protein, think less

• hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Shalaurise wrote: »
    4+ months into this and on the days that I am anywhere near my calorie goal, I have spent the whole day hungry. It is the month of pumpkin everything, so I have slacked, but when I was on target I spent nearly every moment of every day obsessing over what I could and could not eat. When I would get to eat next. How long until I can eat something. What can I cut so I can eat more. As far as I have experienced, if you are committed to this change, welcome to every day of the rest of your life.

May I suggest you not eat a pumpkin scone with 1 or 2 meals a day and maybe find other, less calorie dense food to replace at least 1 of the daily scones?

I know it's pumpkin month but I just feel bad for you (and OP) being hungry all the time. It's miserable. This process is meant to improve our lives not take them over or make them miserable.

OP are you eating at least 2k or so a day of calories? I'm a fair amount larger than you but female and I can lose quite comfortably and steadily on 2000 calories a day and that give me plenty to eat. It's slow but I don't have to suffer or constantly think about food, so there's that.

Some carby things seem to make me hungry even when I know I am full. I love oatmeal and it it pretty regularly but usually as a night-time snack soon before bed or a snack shortly before a meal.

I agree with other's suggestions of trying different timing/combos/types of foods and also maybe find a few more less calorie dense foods you like and add them in for volume as well? I'd just keep experimenting with different vegetables and go from there.

Now that I think about it I probably eat more than every 2 hours anyway so I suppose I get hungry often too, but I just eat when I do so I don't feel it interferes with anything as I am not thinking about food just eating it. I do probably spend a relatively large part of my day eating but it's not hard to fit that if so long as you are allowed to snack at work.
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Carbs raise your insulin and make you hungry. Limit them. Oatmeal isn't a great choice for breakfast if you struggle with hunger.

Protein is satiating. Eat it at every meal. My standard breakfast is 3 strips of turkey bacon and 1 egg with no oil. It's 170 cals and holds me for 3 hrs.

Make high fiber low cal foods your staples. That means vegetables. Salads and stir fry should be the core of lunch and dinner. Include just enough fats and salt to keep them interesting.

If you're hungry all the time, you're eating the wrong things. Vegetables are magic. I've been known to eat a whole cucumber with salt as a mid morning snack.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    thebejota wrote: »

I tend to get very hungry if I eat oatmeal without fat or protein. If you're not willing to eat eggs due to cholesterol issues, throw some nuts in there or something. Oatmeal with nuts, dried fruit and seeds is incredibly, long-lastingly filling.

There is some discussion in the medical community about whether or not excess cholesterol is truly linked to dietary intake of same, or if it is linked to excess adipose tissue. I suspect the latter, but I'm sure as hell not going to tell you to go against doctor's advice.

That said, I do think about food a great deal, myself. I like food. No, I love it.

So yes, I spend time planning healthy, delicious food, and I look forward to my meals. I know there's an idea that food is beneath one's notice when one is thin, but let's get realistic. It's one of the great pleasures of life.

Nourish oneself well, of course. That's a given. But I see nothing wrong with enjoying one's meals, and looking forward to them. I LIKE to be hungry for dinner. I find greater pleasure in it when I am.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    zarckon wrote: »
    Carbs raise your insulin and make you hungry. Limit them. Oatmeal isn't a great choice for breakfast if you struggle with hunger.

Protein is satiating. Eat it at every meal. My standard breakfast is 3 strips of turkey bacon and 1 egg with no oil. It's 170 cals and holds me for 3 hrs.

We're all different. A serving of oatmeal with some nut butter or even fruit will keep me full for 3 hours. Give me one egg and 3 strips of bacon and I'm starving 2 hours later.