MFP yells at me saying I am under the 1200 calorie minimum when I am over it.

Options
If I finish my day (on a day I don't work out) close to, but over the net 1200 rule MFP will tell me to stop being dumb and eat more. Just yesterday I finished around 1350 and it yelled at me. anyone else see this? I couldn't find anything about it on the tech support forums. I don't like when it yells at me :'(

Replies

• LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Yell back.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Probably because you're a dude eating like a 90 year old 5'nothing female.
  • Tiamo719
    Tiamo719 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    First off, 1200 is wayyyy to low, especially for an active man.

Second, YES! I used to hate it when it yelled at me so now I have my calorie limit set way high so I can never go over, yay!! I still stay within my range though. :smile:

It does, however, yell at me when I am too low. :o
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    you are a 38 year old male....."stop being dumb and eat more!"
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    you are a 38 year old male....."stop being dumb and eat more!"

^^^^ THIS
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I don't see how you can even survive on 1200 to 1350 cals.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Dude...1200 can be any given lunch for me!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    LeonCX wrote: »
    Yell back.
    Or don't hit Complete Entry and you won't get yelled at.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    LeonCX wrote: »
    Yell back.
    Or don't hit Complete Entry and you won't get yelled at.

/thread

• zerstreutesMaedchen
    Options
    Yo,up that calorie count. You should figure out your TDEE and then just subtract 15% from that if you're interested in losing fat. Going low like that is going to eat away at your lean mass and slow your metabolism. Probably don't care to hear any of this, but figured I'd tell you anyway. 1300 is too low for active people, especially men.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Isn't it like 1500 min for men and 1200 for women? I bet that's why.
    You shouldn't be eating that little. I'd kill someone if I was that low.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising you should be eating those cals back if you are following MFP, that said you should be eating much more than 1200 net as a man. With only 12lbs to lose your goal should be in the area of 0.5lbs/week. A deficit of 200-350 cals should be a good amount, which I am sure would put you at 1700+ Net Calories
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    If only it could slap you across the face for eating so little, because that's what you need. Newsflash, dude, you need to eat more.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am part of a bariatric support group and after surgery, it is hard to eat enough. Some post-surgery patients get very bad side-effects if they are not able to eat at least 1200 calories a day, and a good percentage has to be protein. We're talking hair falling out as the least serious. So eat enough already!
  • hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    That's weird, I closed out yesterday at 1,018 (I was soooooo tired I fell asleep before I could finish eating LOL!! It's ok I had a 3,000+ day the day before so not like I am starving myself) and it didn't yell at me.

I guess it lets the ladies by with lower amounts? Or are you actually NETTING less than 1200 calories?

Either way yeah what everyone else said- eat more! The weight will still come off if you eat proper amounts.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain weight overnight.....so stop trying to lose it overnight.

Healthy weight loss is (mostly) fat loss. You are male your body needs more fuel to support existing lean muscle.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It's telling you you aren't eating enough. You aren't. You need more food than that to keep your brain and body working.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Looks like you got more than just the program telling you to eat more! I agree, as a 5'2" 41y/o female I can lose eating 1800-2000 on active days. There is no reason to be eating so low, unless there are medical conditions which impact this. If that is the case, you should be medically supervised while losing weight (depending on the condition, but if you are eating that low, you need to be sure you are getting enough nutrition to support a healthy body). Just my additional 2cents.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'1 30 something year old female and I can't exist on 1200 calories or less... I would eat my freaking arm off...

But I agree... just don't hit complete entry if you don't want to get yelled at for not eating enough.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    That's weird, I closed out yesterday at 1,018 (I was soooooo tired I fell asleep before I could finish eating LOL!! It's ok I had a 3,000+ day the day before so not like I am starving myself) and it didn't yell at me.

I guess it lets the ladies by with lower amounts? Or are you actually NETTING less than 1200 calories?

Either way yeah what everyone else said- eat more! The weight will still come off if you eat proper amounts.

The threshold for ladies is 1,000.