MFP yells at me saying I am under the 1200 calorie minimum when I am over it.

Options

Replies

• jweidner33
    jweidner33 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I forgot to put on my flame suit before posting today lol. thank you for all of the "Health tips" But all I wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing this bug.

I am pretty sure I wasn't complaining about anything else. I typically work out daily and I eat up to 1800 calories a day. Occasionally if I miss a work out I might eat a little less. I am well within my 2 lb per week weight loss and I make a conscious effort to keep macros somewhat balanced.

I have been on this site for years and I "get it". I appreciate the concern from the community about my health but I go to the doc regularly and I am in great health. I know my body well and what I can and cannot get away with.

I must say I was amused by some of the posts haha.

MFP as far as I know, was designed to (and in the years using it only ever has) yell when you dip below a net of 1200 calories.

flame on friends! You are welcome for giving you something to rant about :wink:
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I couldn't eat that little each day. Aren't you hungry all the time? I'm 5'3'' and eat around 1600 calories everyday and lose weight.
  • SonicKrunch
    SonicKrunch Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I think it's 1400 for men. It is silly. And don't worry about the low calories too much if you don't mind not being muscular. There are many studies that suggest low cal diets can potentially increase lifespan(shown in mice), however this definitely will come at the cost of muscle mass. I myself have a hard time eating anywhere near my TDEE amount. I have a desk job and sit at home on the couch/comp. With such a sedentary lifestyle eating low cal really isn't hard to do to maintain weight. If you have a more active lifestyle then you definitely should be eating more. Food = fuel, if you aren't moving, you need less food.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    jweidner33 wrote: »
    I forgot to put on my flame suit before posting today lol. thank you for all of the "Health tips" But all I wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing this bug.

I am pretty sure I wasn't complaining about anything else. I typically work out daily and I eat up to 1800 calories a day. Occasionally if I miss a work out I might eat a little less. I am well within my 2 lb per week weight loss and I make a conscious effort to keep macros somewhat balanced.

I have been on this site for years and I "get it". I appreciate the concern from the community about my health but I go to the doc regularly and I am in great health. I know my body well and what I can and cannot get away with.

MFP as far as I know, was designed to (and in the years using it only ever has) yell when you dip below a net of 1200 calories.

It probably changed to yell at you if you go below the lowest calorie threshold for you... Yours may be 1500 calories while mine may be 1200...
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

No one is ranting. you asked we delivered.

judging by your photo, 2lbs/ week is a little drastic, and you should eat more.
    you know so you lose mostly fat instead of mostly lean body mass, but whatevs.
  • jweidner33
    Options
    adowe wrote: »

No one is ranting. you asked we delivered.

judging by your photo, 2lbs/ week is a little drastic, and you should eat more.
    you know so you lose mostly fat instead of mostly lean body mass, but whatevs.

I asked for pizza and you delivered Chinese. (Although I will only eat half a slice to stay within my 500 cal a day max)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Not a bug at all.

Hoped for wake-up call for someone not thinking clearly from lack of food.

2lb weekly weight loss goal - really losing that much weekly?
    Over 70 lbs to lose?
    Taking reasonable goal it won't help with sadly.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

2 pounds a week is not appropriate when you have 12 pounds to lose.

But hey, fast weight loss makes the scale look good. Fast weight loss doesn't generally support lean muscle.
  • jweidner33
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

2 pounds a week is not appropriate when you have 12 pounds to lose.

But hey, fast weight loss makes the scale look good. Fast weight loss doesn't generally support lean muscle.

I am well aware of the need for macro control and strength training for muscle definition. I was talking about occasional days that I don't work out. Not every day of my life haha. I even put in parentheses "when I don't work out) which I try to work out 5 days a week and I play Basketball on the weekend. this post was merely asking about the occasion that I post a low number and it yells at me even though its over the 1200 that it says. I guess I cannot blame people for being bored.
  • jweidner33
    Options
    and in all reality I am closer to 1 lb a week not 2. My maint is 1900 cal.
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    2lbs a week is the thresh hold for an obese person. You sir, are not obese. If you actually dig a little deeper the max weight loss recommended per week is 1% of current body weight, but that again is if you are obese.

You should not be losing more than 1/2 lbs per week.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Probably because you're a dude eating like a 90 year old 5'nothing female.

^ Agreed.
  • asdowe13
    Options
    and in all reality I am closer to 1 lb a week not 2. My maint is 1900 cal.

Whats your weight and Height?

My maintenance is closer to 2800 at 6'0 220lbs
  • jweidner33
    Options
    5'6' 160
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, it never yells at me. Whether I go over or under calories.

A simple solution though: Don't complete your diary and it will say nothing to you. Its a button meant for little more than whimsy anyway.
  • jweidner33
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Probably because you're a dude eating like a 90 year old 5'nothing female.

^ Agreed.

No way! I don't have to take my dentures out first!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I don't like it either.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    I'm a 33 year old chick with 35 pounds to lose still and I try never to eat below my BMR of 1570. So suck it up and eat more.
  • asdowe13
    Options
    5'6' 160

Using your age, height, weight and guessing at moderatly active (3-5days of exercising) in multiple calculators, you would probably still lose weight on 1900 calories a day, and maintain around 2400-2500

so yeah anyday below, at or near 1200 calories is too low. and yes the app should yell at you and will always yell at you.
  • jweidner33
    Options
    I'm a 33 year old chick with 35 pounds to lose still and I try never to eat below my BMR of 1570. So suck it up and eat more.

congrats?