MFP yells at me saying I am under the 1200 calorie minimum when I am over it.

Options

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Probably because you're a dude eating like a 90 year old 5'nothing female.

^ Agreed.

I'm also going to +1 this (I need an upvote or something like it on this site... sheesh).

It's not a Bug that you're experiencing. It's the way MFP is designed.

Having an off day every once in a while is fine... buuuuuut it doesn't sound like you're really attempting a realistic goal.

Plus, you maintain on 1900 calories? I really have to question the validity of that. Are you short or something? As a man, you should be eating way more than a woman, in general, added to the fact you work out, you should be welllllll over 2k calories for maintenance.
    Heck, I'm only 5'2 and pregnant, and my calorie goal right now is 1900 calories. So yeah... that doesn't really sound right to me....
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    jweidner33 wrote: »
    I'm a 33 year old chick with 35 pounds to lose still and I try never to eat below my BMR of 1570. So suck it up and eat more.

congrats?

Yep, because I'm not doing dumb things to my body anymore for the sake of dropping weight as fast as possible.

Are you just looking for someone to pat you on the back and commiserate with you about how horrible MFP is for scolding you?
  • jweidner33
    jweidner33 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm a 33 year old chick with 35 pounds to lose still and I try never to eat below my BMR of 1570. So suck it up and eat more.

congrats?

Yep, because I'm not doing dumb things to my body anymore for the sake of dropping weight as fast as possible.

Are you just looking for someone to pat you on the back and commiserate with you about how horrible MFP is for scolding you?

That is a lot of anger.
  • jweidner33
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Probably because you're a dude eating like a 90 year old 5'nothing female.

^ Agreed.

I'm also going to +1 this (I need an upvote or something like it on this site... sheesh).

It's not a Bug that you're experiencing. It's the way MFP is designed.

Having an off day every once in a while is fine... buuuuuut it doesn't sound like you're really attempting a realistic goal.

Plus, you maintain on 1900 calories? I really have to question the validity of that. Are you short or something? As a man, you should be eating way more than a woman, in general, added to the fact you work out, you should be welllllll over 2k calories for maintenance.
    Heck, I'm only 5'2 and pregnant, and my calorie goal right now is 1900 calories. So yeah... that doesn't really sound right to me....

5 6 160 = 1600 BMR plus the range of 400 cal per day to take into account movement. So I was wrong. 2000 is maint(roughly) Not really accounting for muscle or fat percentages though. It is so crazy to me how people get so bent on things. I appreciate when people answer the original question and then maybe throw a constructive suggestion. but watchng the way people will go off on topics is interesting to me. What a cool social experiment it is. there are so many more variables that I wasn't expecting to discuss. Just a simple question about a potential bug.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    1st, you don't get a warning at your net calories, it's your gross calories.

2nd, I think the number is higher for men (it recently changed to 1,000 for women - from 1,200). Obviously if you're getting a warning around 1,350, the threshold is higher than that.

3rd, if it's telling you to eat more, chances are you should eat more.
  • jweidner33
    Options

2nd, I think the number is higher for men (it recently changed to 1,000 for women - from 1,200). Obviously if you're getting a warning around 1,350, the threshold is higher than that.

1. Gross is total net is total - exercise. If I don't exercise they are both the same.
    2. If that is the case I totally get it. Maybe they changed it to 1400 but didn't change the wording. Because it still says 1200
    3. I typically do.

this is fun!
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

1. Gross is total net is total - exercise. If I don't exercise they are both the same.
    2. If that is the case I totally get it. Maybe they changed it to 1400 but didn't change the wording. Because it still says 1200
    3. I typically do.

this is fun!

I know what gross is. You're the one throwing the word net around as if it matters if you're not working out. I was making sure you understood that MFP will only "yell" at you if you gross under the amount - it does not take burned calories into account.

That is the case. If it says 1200, then it's obviously a bug - report it.

Good.
  • jweidner33
    Options

3. I typically do.

this is fun!

I know what gross is. You're the one throwing the word net around as if it matters if you're not working out. I was making sure you understood that MFP will only "yell" at you if you gross under the amount - it does not take burned calories into account.

That is the case. If it says 1200, then it's obviously a bug - report it.

Good.

I wanted to make sure it was a bug first. I wanted to see if others have seen this. I am sure somewhere in this sea of snap judgements there might be lol. By now there are way too many crazy things going on and I lost track. Now I am just having fun with it. People get riled up real easy on the interwebs

• TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Let me check my past "yelling" days - I'm pretty sure it's the correct number for chicks. BRB
  • jweidner33
    Options
    Let me check my past "yelling" days - I'm pretty sure it's the correct number for chicks. BRB

Ah you helped me figure this out. I just completed my Anorexic trying to look like a 90 yr old lady I am going to die skinny fat and alone day using the website and it didn't yell at me. I went back to the app on my phone and completed it and it yelled at me. they suggest increasing my consumption to 1200 calories.

so it is an app issue. I feel better now. Off to eat my carrot stick for lunch!
  • PrizePopple
    Options

congrats?

That is a lot of anger.

6hd3ikn.gif
  • jweidner33
    Options

congrats?

That is a lot of anger.

6hd3ikn.gif

Yay happy!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    MFP as far as I know, was designed to (and in the years using it only ever has) yell when you dip below a net of 1200 calories.

The 1200 calorie guideline from some US Institution is for food eaten, not "net" as that concept doesn't stray much outside of MFP. If you get all you nutrients in 1200 cals of food you don't erase some of them by doing 300 cals of exercise.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Okay, here's what it says:
    For safe weight loss, the National Institutes of Health recommends no less than 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1500 calories for men.

So it's a little weird that they set the ladies warning on the low end of the threshold, and the dudes to the high end, but I don't really see a bug here - as it's giving a range, not a concrete number.
  • jweidner33
    Options
    For safe weight loss, the National Institutes of Health recommends no less than 1000-1200 calories for women and 1200-1500 calories for men.

So it's a little weird that they set the ladies warning on the low end of the threshold, and the dudes to the high end, but I don't really see a bug here - as it's giving a range, not a concrete number.

The bug is that the website doesn't yell at me only the app does.
  • Erica_0419
    Erica_0419 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I hate when I tells me that!!! Sometimes I workout later at night but Im not in the mood to eat another xxx amount of calories.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options

And you didn't think that was relevant information to include? *pats you on head*
  • PrizePopple
    Options

And you didn't think that was relevant information to include? *pats you on head*

Aaaaand I spit out my coffee. Thanks.
  • Evelyn_IRV
    Evelyn_IRV Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    OMG you got even more yell at by this post. I think I read somewhere (not sure if it was on this site) that for women is 1200 but for men is 1500 maybe it yell at you because you were under 1500.

But it yells at me every time I´m under 1200 even if it is just buy 10 calories.

Before everyone yells at me too, let me say I´m a 5 feet tall woman.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Eat Eat Eat
    people-yelling.jpg