The trainer pissed me off!

Options

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I had a similar experience. The trainer/sales rep was trying to raise money for the olympics, was driven, and was completely confident of his success not over his own body but in sales, too. He had obviously been trained in pressure sales tactics. Ummm, NO.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Respect to the kid's aggressive effort, but there are lines you just don't cross in sales.
    I have been in sales and marketing all my life, and I must first sell myself before I can sell you. And some folks need a good push while others need to have a relationship first.
    Don't hold a grudge against anybody for being passionate about their services but a bit awkward.
    At day's end do what seems the best for you.
    Good Luck!
    :)
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    mantium999 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, planet fitness. lol.

i'm sorry... you have something against planet fitness?

or should i have reviewed my options for gym memberships with your sainted lord high-and-mightiness before signing up for something that was going to benefit ME?

If you actually lift weights, as your target is well known and respected for around here, you would understand her comment and the poor judgement of your defensive response. Carry on.

then maybe her comment could have been phrased in a less derisive, more "let me share my experience with you" manner. my response was appropriate for the level of respect she showed me.
    I just stuck my hand down my pants to check.

Still a dude. LOL.

sorry... i've only seen "jo" used to refer to girls. and it's the internet :).

thank you for the response, though. can i ask what you mean by a cynical business model and being toxic to their customers? at the moment, what they provide is pretty much exactly what i need and am looking for, but when/if i do get ready to move to something more intensive, it would be good to know what to look for and avoid.

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

or should i have reviewed my options for gym memberships with your sainted lord high-and-mightiness before signing up for something that was going to benefit ME?

If you actually lift weights, as your target is well known and respected for around here, you would understand her comment and the poor judgement of your defensive response. Carry on.

then maybe her comment could have been phrased in a less derisive, more "let me share my experience with you" manner. my response was appropriate for the level of respect she showed me.
    I just stuck my hand down my pants to check.

Still a dude. LOL.

Sorry db, the confusion was my fault. I mis-typed "her" when my jacked up phone showed Jo's profile picture next to your post. Quickly realized the mistake, and edited it within 30 seconds, but not fast enough it seems.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

despite the fact that i owe you no explanations, i am not a weight lifter and have never claimed to be. i do circuit/resistance training to preserve my lean body mass, help with overall strength and endurance, and simply because i enjoy it. my choice of gym and reasons for picking it have exactly zero impact on her or anyone else on this forum, and since i wasn't asking for advice in the first place, her response was inappropriate.

I appreciate your perspective, just find it humorous that such a simple laugh at planet fitness would cause a person to become so defensive and illicit you to elevate it with such a response. It was a jab at your gym, not you. It's Friday, ease up a bit.
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    rosiemtz75 wrote: »
    "Do you need permission to purchase shoes too?" I was appalled.

..I will talk to the manager.

I would have gone right to the manager as soon as the demeaning words came out of that guy's mouth. It's none of his business how you and your mate handle your money.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

despite the fact that i owe you no explanations, i am not a weight lifter and have never claimed to be. i do circuit/resistance training to preserve my lean body mass, help with overall strength and endurance, and simply because i enjoy it. my choice of gym and reasons for picking it have exactly zero impact on her or anyone else on this forum, and since i wasn't asking for advice in the first place, her response was inappropriate.

I appreciate your perspective, just find it humorous that such a simple laugh at planet fitness would cause a person to become so defensive and illicit you to elevate it with such a response. It was a jab at your gym, not you. It's Friday, ease up a bit.
    yeah, it basically made my point though. LOL

Also, I really hope people aren't confusing me with JoRocka... she's cool, I'm an insufferable a-hole.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    "Do you need permission to purchase shoes too?" I was appalled.

..I will talk to the manager.

I would have gone right to the manager as soon as the demeaning words came out of that guy's mouth. It's none of his business how you and your mate handle your money.

Fact. And especially because personal trainers can get expensive, shouldn't you talk to your partner about whether the household finances can handle that cost?

This trainer came off as a real jerk.

• rawrchad
    Options
    His response was "Do you need permission to purchase shoes too?" I was appalled.

anyone who would be swayed by that kind of condescending holery really does need permission before buying anything more complicated than a soda from a vending machine.

one of the reasons i chose planet fitness is because they don't push you on ANYTHING. they wait for you to come to them with questions, whether it's about sessions with a trainer or any of their other services. if i want or need something, i'm smart enough to know where to go. other than that, they leave me alone and let me do my thing.
    I completely agree with you!
    I started at planet fitness, and they don't pressure you to do anything! They are very welcoming. The trainer my second day there when I was upgrading my membership was standing at the desk and introduced himself. He told me if I want to train with him or have any questions about workouts to come find him. Which I thought was great of him, I took the offer up and I did train with him. I was talking to a person that trains with him a lot and she said she loves it. I will definitely be using him everyone and then!

A gym I tried before, was only for personal training. After my trial session, they kept trying to shove sessions down my throat I felt like. Always bringing it up, they did text me every now and then. They have stopped now..

Planet fitness I have seen as the best route for me. It's cheap, they have everything you need. You don't need every type of machine in the world to work out.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    As soon as it started off with "this young 20 something year old" it wasn't going to end well. He has not learned anything in the art of sales yet.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Also, I really hope people aren't confusing me with JoRocka... she's cool, I'm an insufferable a-hole.

I'm game with whatever. I've been accused of being a dude more times than not- and also mostly a condescending bishesha- so I mean I guess we are in good company ;)
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Would of just walked away. Although I would not of felt like just walking away.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    He hasnt learnt anything in common courtesy to his clients. Amazingly sexist. I wouldnt just contact the manager id be making a written complaint to head office, CEO or Chief exec. He needs proper training.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    High pressure salespeople get absolutely nowhere with me. It's the biggest turn-off for me and a total waste of time for them.

The last time I shopped for a car, the salesman was cool. The sales manager, on the other hand, was a total *kitten*. When I said I'd sleep on it and be back the next day, he made a similar comment questioning my ability to make personal choices. I just said, "Stop. We're through here." I got up and walked away.

A competitor in another town (who didn't have a problem with me taking some time to come to my own decision) got my business instead. It's amazing these obnoxious people make any sales.
  • dbmata
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    He hasnt learnt anything in common courtesy to his clients. Amazingly sexist. I wouldnt just contact the manager id be making a written complaint to head office, CEO or Chief exec. He needs proper training.

more than proper training, he needs a boot so far up his backend it gives him a week long prostate massage.

It was sexist. There is no reason for that.
  • dbmata
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I'm game with whatever. I've been accused of being a dude more times than not- and also mostly a condescending bishesha- so I mean I guess we are in good company ;)

Aw, special snowflakes and their thin skins. lol. To hell with them, we make our legends in iron.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options

This is called taking the bait. Generally doesn't end well...
  • catb58
    catb58 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I would have told the little f-wit right then and there that IF I decided to choose a trainer at his gym, it would NOT be him because of his unprofessional comment and attitude. Then I would have spoken to the manager.
  • _BearNecessities_
    _BearNecessities_ Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    As soon as it started off with "this young 20 something year old" it wasn't going to end well. He has not learned anything in the art of sales yet.

Bingo. He probably thought he was being funny.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    This is how a personal trainer makes money. It is how they keep a job. It is, in my opinion, not the moral or ethical way to run business. I plan to become a personal trainer...and I have promised that I will not be in it to "make sales". I find that often they just try to keep you locked in for a long period of time by saying "if you want to reach your goals you MUST sign up for (x number) of training sessions" which is a flat out lie.