The trainer pissed me off!

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Is it a lie?

What if my goal is to increase my bench by 30%, but going it alone for the last year hadn't provided me any increase?

A competent trainer would probably tell me, if this was my goal, I'd need to work with them and follow their programming for X months.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Okay...so get one session for information then move on and do it on your own? The idea is that you could sign up if you want, but just because you dont have a personal trainer means you will never reach your goals.

I am well on my way to losing 100lbs, I have not once hired a trainer. If I want to lower my BF%, I will do that on my own too. If I want to squat or bench heavier - I will do just that. No body NEEDS a personal trainer to accomplish their goals. Will it make it easier? Maybe. Is it someone to hold you accountable? Sure. Is it money that you dont really NEED to spend? That is up to you.

BTW, It is bias of a PT to say that you need them to accomplish your goals. Of course they would say something like that. They want $$$$$$$$!

ETA - I guess my goal for a client would get them to be SELF SUFFICIENT in doing things on their own. Create their own goals, go for their own goals and successfully accomplish their own goals without having to rely on others (yes even a Personal Trainer).
  • dbmata
    Options
    It's a matter of efficiency. If you were reaching your goals you wouldn't be talking to a PT. You're talking to a PT because in some way you are deficient. Maybe it's a deficiency in understanding proper programming, commitment, intensity. Whatever it is, you went to a PT for a reason. One session won't change the overall failure that caused you to talk to them. ;)

Granted, to be fair, I don't look at chain gym trainers as really he pinnacle of the training industry, so there's that. Reality is, if you have a goal you can articulate in a sophisticated manner, you have the requisite knowledge to have a reasonable expectation of what you want from a PT and an understanding of why you chose to speak to them. A person like that will get a statement from a trainer say, yeah, we can work towards that, and it will probably take X time at Y sessions per week, plus Z additional work, provided you have A, B, and C dialed in.

You don't one hit and quit a good trainer.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    ^ I agree, within reason. It depends on how much X and Y is. Typically, I would expect it to be above and beyond what is truly necessary to get a client back on track again. If a client is struggling with motivation...that means there is something else going on. Maybe it is struggling with time management, they may not be enjoying the workouts at the gym, there are tons of reasons why someone would lose motivation. This should not take more than 2 sessions to dissect the problems and over come them. Then OFF they go again. Not "you need 10 more sessions, two times a week for one hour" because that wont fix the problem. (ETA - Unless the client wanted more accountability)

You are right in the sense that, there are too many variables. Depending on what the problem is. Also having a reasonable amount of sessions and not just being in it to waste time and make/take more money from clients.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I think we're on the same page, I'm looking at it as coaching, you're approaching it from a different direction.

Word.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I've worked with a couple good trainers. The good one's focus on the benefits of training, without predicting failure if you don't buy. Truth is, most of them found their own success without trainers, so they can't deny that it can be done. And the smart ones won't pressure to you to buy a big package of sessions. That one's easy: they just tell you the cost per session with each package deal and let you decide if the savings are worth the up front cost, or if you're willing to stick with this trainer for that long. Stick to the facts, that's the best thing they can do.

I've also seen their faces fall when I say I need to check the budget before I do it. They know that the odds are I won't be back. But the smart ones don't argue. They say "Check your budget. Here's my card. Give me a call if you want to talk about it".
  • RunnerStephe
    RunnerStephe Posts: 2,195
    Options
    I workout at home, with a free trainer. Cheaper and better than the gym.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    rosiemtz75 wrote: »
    "Do you need permission to purchase shoes too?" I was appalled.

..I will talk to the manager.

I would have gone right to the manager as soon as the demeaning words came out of that guy's mouth. It's none of his business how you and your mate handle your money.

It sounds like the young 20 something guy was trying to be funny. It may have been a wise crack that was unprofessional but I am accustomed to this behavior. I see this kind of stuff in many of the businesses where I live.

If I was that offended by the sales staff I would not waste my time speaking to a manager. I would just not give them my business. The end.
  • dbmata
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Did someone mention Planet Fitness?

Lol.....nah to easy.

You shut up, PF is amazing!
  • dbmata
    Options
    1st Monday I think?

That's worth the $10 a month right there.
  • adjadj83
    adjadj83 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I was a personal trainer and Fitness Manager at a different chain gym. Yes, we are trained to sell those packages. Unfortunately, the trainer you had was just dumb. Insulting the client is a sure way to fail.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed the Planet Fitness down the street, but moved on pretty quickly due to the lack of free weights. Their equipment is very, very limited unless you enjoy machines. Still, it was great for cardio, and close. Now I drive across town to another gym, 24 hours with lots of amenities at 3 times the prices, but I'm happier with it.

Regarding the OP's experience, I would have made a complaint, and I would expect the management to be grateful to know that one of their employees was being a misogynistic a-hole to their clients. Shoes? Really?
  • splashtree2
    Options
    I have been going to local chain gym for the past week. I have been so pumped to get going again. This gym offered one free training session. I took them up on it. I knew there would be a sales pitch later on and was I in for a treat.

This young 20 something year old kept pushing me to sign up today. I kindly explained my partner was out of the country and this is something I need to discuss with him. His response was "Do you need permission to purchase shoes too?" I was appalled. I was not going to let him talk down to me. I told him he was coming off to strong like an oily car salesman. I had nothing to prove to him but only myself. I also let him know that his body language screamed disappointment in losing a sale. He must have gone on and on about people he sees in and out who either injure themselves or don't see the changes they hoped for. I am an adult. I can make my own choices. If he approaches me once again. I will talk to the manager.

It makes me wonder that they are trained that way. Sixty dollars an hour is no drop in a bucket.

You can't imagine mine!
    I needed to add 3/4kg of muscles and when I said to him I won't pay him he underlined that I was not serious and that he won't train me, that's just fine I have 15 years of experience in fitness on my back and a cystitis, figure it out if I pay a training I can't do now cause he needs my money!! With all the people that he can find!!

• msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Dude must have got confused about how to apply that old weight loss industry selling technique:

"if they cry they will buy..."
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Oh yeah, planet fitness. lol.

i'm sorry... you have something against planet fitness?

or should i have reviewed my options for gym memberships with your sainted lord high-and-mightiness before signing up for something that was going to benefit ME?

Wow. That escalated quickly.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I'm going to take another view on this - just because there are two sides to everything.

He's young. Job market sucks. He's stuck in sales. Good sales people are far and few in between. Most people suck at sales. It's a tough job. But, they tend to be the easiest to get in some places so...you get a lot crappy sales people. There are people who are, by all other accounts, good people who are just stuck in a job they have no ability for...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I think we're on the same page, I'm looking at it as coaching, you're approaching it from a different direction.

Word.

I think you see this very much the same way I do
    coaching =/= training

those two things are completely separate in my mind.

And if you need things
    1.) motivation
    2.) training templates
    3.) system for being at the gym

then yes- you could use training

if you need other things
    form help
    long term conditioning
    specific conditioning
    handling for an event

you need coaching.

Either way- you can have very valid reasons for each one- but they are no the same thing. And why you would seek one out will depend on your goals.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have been going to local chain gym for the past week. I have been so pumped to get going again. This gym offered one free training session. I took them up on it. I knew there would be a sales pitch later on and was I in for a treat.

This young 20 something year old kept pushing me to sign up today. I kindly explained my partner was out of the country and this is something I need to discuss with him. His response was "Do you need permission to purchase shoes too?" I was appalled. I was not going to let him talk down to me. I told him he was coming off to strong like an oily car salesman. I had nothing to prove to him but only myself. I also let him know that his body language screamed disappointment in losing a sale. He must have gone on and on about people he sees in and out who either injure themselves or don't see the changes they hoped for. I am an adult. I can make my own choices. If he approaches me once again. I will talk to the manager.

It makes me wonder that they are trained that way. Sixty dollars an hour is no drop in a bucket.

You can't imagine mine!
    I needed to add 3/4kg of muscles and when I said to him I won't pay him he underlined that I was not serious and that he won't train me, that's just fine I have 15 years of experience in fitness on my back and a cystitis, figure it out if I pay a training I can't do now cause he needs my money!! With all the people that he can find!!

autocorrect?