Blood Pressure Meds... Are trying to kill me

Options
So I went for a physical this past Tuesday to get checked out. You know make sure my body is heading in the right direction before I started a major weight loss journey. My nurse took my vitals and my blood pressure was 136/89. My doc was like oh my that's pretty high. I was like meh, kinda but I have been eating ribs for the past 3 days. Bad I know but that's most of the leftovers we had from a huge SNF party. I also had sausage for breakfast that morning. So I attributed my HBP from that. She was like we're putting you on medication. I told her I didn't need it. I started it on Wednesday morning and that night during my C25K run I got winded really quickly, like I was so tired and I didn't feel like I could continue. But I pushed through it. Well fast forward to tonight.... These side effects are kicking my *kitten*. It's 73 degrees in my house and I'm sweating profusely. I noticed yesterday that when I went for a 5 mile walk at a moderate pace I'm sweating so hard you can see it through my grey jacket. I'm like cool! Getting my burn on. NO! During my workout last night I almost passed out in the gym from light headedness and headache when I went to lift 20 lbs of weight. I was seeing bright lights and the headache was vicious. I had to stop. Now today I decided to do laundry. It's in the basement. I walked up and down the stairs and I'm tired. Like literally out of breath, sweaty mess. I'm sitting here typing this and I'm sweating bullets. Wtf is going on?! I can't call my doc cause they're closed and I'm really concerned. My workout is in an hour and honestly I don't think I can do it. I'm so tired and pissed off. I just started and I don't want to skip any workouts but I also don't want to put my body in jeopardy or danger either. Anyone else have any horrible side effects from BP medicine?

Replies

• CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It could be that your blood pressure is too low! Can you check it yourself or have someone check it for you?
  • danieb462
    Options
    CariJean64 wrote: »
    It could be that your blood pressure is too low! Can you check it yourself or have someone check it for you?

Yes I can check it. I never thought to do it, but if my pressure is low what can I do to raise it? I've eaten my dinner and I'm stuffed so I don't wanna eat anything else. Especially sugary things. I'm not a fan!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    136/89 is border-line high. HBP is 140/90 or higher. Not a DR, but I would suggest monitoring your BP on your own (you can purchase a BP cuff for $20-$40 at most drugstores/Walmart/Target, grocery pharmacy). If the meds are causing problems (have you read the disclosures you received from the pharmacy?), discontinue use.
  • Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It could be side effects of the meds, my doc said mine can cause tiredness and other symptoms, but I never had any side effects from them. Check the info sheet that came with the prescription to see what side effects are likely.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    This would be my first thought (and concern) as well. Is there someone home with you who could call for an ambulance if you pass out? If not, and if you continue to feel like you might pass out, you might want to call for emergency medical assistance (911 if you're in the U.S.) before you pass out.

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You didn't say what dose, type.
    Most pharmacists can guide you through discontinuation until you can see your doctor.
  • torcol1
    torcol1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    danieb462 wrote: »

Yes I can check it. I never thought to do it, but if my pressure is low what can I do to raise it? I've eaten my dinner and I'm stuffed so I don't wanna eat anything else. Especially sugary things. I'm not a fan!

• FredDoyle
    Options
    136/89 is border-line high. HBP is 140/90 or higher. Not a DR, but I would suggest monitoring your BP on your own (you can purchase a BP cuff for $20-$40 at most drugstores/Walmart/Target, grocery pharmacy). If the meds are causing problems (have you read the disclosures you received from the pharmacy?), discontinue use.

so, are you a doctor to tell OP to STOP taking their meds?

139/89 certainly isn't as immediately dangerous as a contraindicated medication.
    Go to a doctor or talk to the pharmacy who dispensed them. The OP has only been on them a few days.
  • danieb462
    Options
    It could be side effects of the meds, my doc said mine can cause tiredness and other symptoms, but I never had any side effects from them. Check the info sheet that came with the prescription to see what side effects are likely.

I did read them, and they said to consult your doctor if I have the symptoms that I listed above. I can't call my doc. Should I call a different one???
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options

Have you ever read the disclosures at accompany all prescriptions? They include the following statement:

If you experience any of the following <insert list of dangerous side effects>, discontinue immediately and contact your physician.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Seriously, you want to contact your doctor about this one, not the internet. Call them, they usually will have someone on call to answer your questions and advise you.
  • mbailey423
    mbailey423 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but if I were in your shoes is seek medical attention.

I'm on BP meds and never have those type of symptoms. 40mg Lisinopryl and a water pill
  • torcol1
    torcol1 Posts: 8 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I sometimes suffer from low blood pressure, drink plenty of water, keep salty chips in your home for these incidents ex: eat a bag of lays potato chips, and rest do not try to do to much while you are going through your episode of low bp. Call your Dr. if you can't get your bp to come up to a reasonable number. When your bp gets too high or too low it will cause you to feel winded, weak and faint. You will find that it causes you to feel tired and sleepy quickly. If your bp is too low do not take your bp med but if it gets too high take it. Call your Dr. asap if symptoms continue and you can't reach your Dr. go to the ER. My Dr. returns my calls and it keeps me from going to the ER I see him as soon as the next day. Your Dr. may want to see you asap.

• danieb462
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    You didn't say what dose, type.
    Most pharmacists can guide you through discontinuation until you can see your doctor.

Lisinopril/ Hydrochlorothiazide
    - 20 mg/ 12.5 mg
    •They're in the same package but diff doses for each day. Don't know what I've taken so far cause its printed on the pill

Propranolol
    - 10 mg tablets

I would like to stop taking them because my short walk from my kitchen to my bedroom caused dizziness when I stood up and I'm sweating again
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    mbailey423 wrote: »
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but if I were in your shoes is seek medical attention.

I'm on BP meds and never have those type of symptoms. 40mg Lisinopryl and a water pill
    You can get those types of symptoms when you first go on them as they do lower your blood pressure.
    That being said, I would check with a medical professional.

• sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Most doctors offices have an after hours answering service or on call doctor you can reach if you need to - I would suggest calling your normal doctors office asap to see if that is available. If not call the hospital - it really sounds like you need to get real medical advice.
  • danieb462
    Options

139/89 certainly isn't as immediately dangerous as a contraindicated medication.
    Go to a doctor or talk to the pharmacy who dispensed them. The OP has only been on them a few days.

I agree that OP needs to talk to HIS doctor or a pharmacist...not some random stranger here on MFP

I get that... I just didn't know if anyone else had similar side effects from taking them. Also I think SHE should talk to HER doc about it. Its 9:11 pm on the east coast. The pharmacy is deff closed!

• danieb462
    Options
    torcol1 wrote: »
    I sometimes suffer from low blood pressure, drink plenty of water, keep salty chips in your home for these incidents ex: eat a bag of lays potato chips, and rest do not try to do to much while you are going through your episode of low bp. Call your Dr. if you can't get your bp to come up to a reasonable number. When your bp gets too high or too low it will cause you to feel winded, weak and faint. You will find that it causes you to feel tired and sleepy quickly. If your bp is too low do not take your bp med but if it gets too high take it. Call your Dr. asap if symptoms continue and you can't reach your Dr. go to the ER. My Dr. returns my calls and it keeps me from going to the ER I see him as soon as the next day. Your Dr. may want to see you asap.

I take my BP meds when i wake up. I've literally been drinking water all day because I've been sweating so much. Had a Gatorade with dinner because I've been sweating much more the past 2-3 hours. I didn't know that I was supposed to be monitoring my blood pressure. It wasn't really an issue before and my doc deff didn't say that was one of the things I should be doing whilst on the medication. I just moved so I may need to reconsider my PCP. She was highly recommended -_-
  • danieb462
    Options
    danieb462 wrote: »

I agree that OP needs to talk to HIS doctor or a pharmacist...not some random stranger here on MFP

I get that... I just didn't know if anyone else had similar side effects from taking them. Also I think SHE should talk to HER doc about it. Its 9:11 pm on the east coast. The pharmacy is deff closed!

ooopppsss....sorry...she. My bad...I'm sorry

Haha it's cool! No harm no foul! But thanks
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    mbailey423 wrote: »

Ditto on the Lisinopril. Did have a bad reaction to another BP med, but in the form of petechiae.

Does your doc's office have an on-call number? If not, call your local hospital and tell them what you wrote here.