Blood Pressure Meds... Are trying to kill me

Options

Replies

• socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Are you just starting this exercise routine? If the exercise is new, it may be exercise, not the meds that are impacting you - or a combination. Back off on the exercise until you have consulted a doctor if that's when you experience most of the symptoms.

Talk to your doctor Monday or go to urgent care or ER this weekend if dizziness persists (have someone drive you) or if you are feeling alarmed about other symptoms. Don't try to treat yourself for low BP at this point.

A BP cuff is a good idea because that would give you more data to convey to the doctor.

I've also been taking lysinopril for years with zero side effects but my father can't take lysinopril because of side effects (though not the ones you describe). Anyway, different people react differently and this is why you must work with your doctor on this. It's not uncommon to need to try 2 or 3 different BP meds before you and your doctor find one that works for you.
  • danieb462
    Options
    So my workout for tonight is definitely off right?

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I have essential hypertension - that is, my blood pressure sits at 140/90 for no apparent reason (I have been fully checked by a cardiologist). I was on BP medication to bring it down to 120/80 for nearly 10 years but went off it (under doctor's advice) when I got pregnant. Post partum, and having moved to a new suburb, I saw a new doctor and he told me that they're rethinking their views on high blood pressure, and 140/90 is nothing to worry about if that's my natural level, it isn't rising and I am fit and healthy (which it is, it hasn't, and I am). As a result I am no longer on medication. Chat to your doctor again about the need for medication, and possibly seek a second opinion. Good luck.
  • mbailey423
    mbailey423 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    danieb462 wrote: »
    So my workout for tonight is definitely off right?
    I'd say yes until you get checked out

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,969 Member
    Options
    If you don't have someone with you to get you medical if you pass out, you should call for medical help now before you pass out, because you won't be able to do it after you pass out. Sustained profuse sweating with only mild exertion (walking to the bedroom or downstairs to the laundry room) accompanied by dizziness doesn't seem like something to mess around with. It could be low blood pressure because the medication is too strong for you, or it could be something completely unrelated that just happened to crop up at the same time.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    It could be side effects of the meds, my doc said mine can cause tiredness and other symptoms, but I never had any side effects from them. Check the info sheet that came with the prescription to see what side effects are likely.

I did read them, and they said to consult your doctor if I have the symptoms that I listed above. I can't call my doc. Should I call a different one???
    Your doctors office likely has someone on call for this type of thing..yes, call them!! They may confer with your own doc and call back or they may make the decision themselves.

Do be careful asking medical questions on the Internet or anywhere other than your own doctor.... He's the one that put you on the pills, He's really the only qualified person to tell you why he did and if you should go off.

Asking anyone on MFP is ..well just not smart... we're not doctors even if someone on here was...it's not OK for them to respond as a doctor in this settings.
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    It could be side effects of the meds, my doc said mine can cause tiredness and other symptoms, but I never had any side effects from them. Check the info sheet that came with the prescription to see what side effects are likely.

Mine seriously act like a sedative, they'll knock me right out better than my psych meds.
  • danieb462
    Options
    socalkay wrote: »
    Are you just starting this exercise routine? If the exercise is new, it may be exercise, not the meds that are impacting you - or a combination. Back off on the exercise until you have consulted a doctor if that's when you experience most of the symptoms.

Talk to your doctor Monday or go to urgent care or ER this weekend if dizziness persists (have someone drive you) or if you are feeling alarmed about other symptoms. Don't try to treat yourself for low BP at this point.

A BP cuff is a good idea because that would give you more data to convey to the doctor.

I've also been taking lysinopril for years with zero side effects but my father can't take lysinopril because of side effects (though not the ones you describe). Anyway, different people react differently and this is why you must work with your doctor on this. It's not uncommon to need to try 2 or 3 different BP meds before you and your doctor find one that works for you.

I've actually been working out 2 weeks prior to me going in for my physical. I was wondering if it was my exercise regimen but I was only sweating during and after my workouts. But when i started the meds I noticed a huge change. I was fatigued on my run after 4 minutes. like I'm tired af I can't go anymore fatigued. and that was the night i started them. Yesterday a 5 mile walk in 65 degree weather had me sweating through 2 shirts and a fluffy lined cotton jacket. Yes fluffy. Idk the material lol. I know my body and yes I'm over weight but I don't sweat unless I'm doing vigorous activity or its 95 degrees outside. The headaches and dizziness have been persistent. I woke up with a head ache. If I move too quickly I feel like I'm gonna faint. No bueno
  • Hearts_2015
    edited October 2014
    Options

I've actually been working out 2 weeks prior to me going in for my physical. I was wondering if it was my exercise regimen but I was only sweating during and after my workouts. But when i started the meds I noticed a huge change. I was fatigued on my run after 4 minutes. like I'm tired af I can't go anymore fatigued. and that was the night i started them. Yesterday a 5 mile walk in 65 degree weather had me sweating through 2 shirts and a fluffy lined cotton jacket. Yes fluffy. Idk the material lol. I know my body and yes I'm over weight but I don't sweat unless I'm doing vigorous activity or its 95 degrees outside. The headaches and dizziness have been persistent. I woke up with a head ache. If I move too quickly I feel like I'm gonna faint. No bueno

You're still here? lol You're on the way to call the doctors office remember? Someone will be able to take the call or will ask what symptoms you're having and can give you actually professional advice. It's really safer to just call, if they say don't worry, then you can stop worrying everyone and yourself as well. :smile:

Take care,
  • danieb462
    Options

You're still here? lol You're on the way to call the doctors office remember? Someone will be able to take the call or will ask what symptoms you're having and can give you actually professional advice. It's really safer to just call, if they say don't worry, then you can stop worrying everyone and yourself as well. :smile:

Take care,

I called my doctors office and the on call doctor told me to stop taking them and follow up on my next appointment. Which is Nov. 4th. Still doesnt change that fact that I feel like mierda and I'm sweaty!
  • danieb462
    Options

I did read them, and they said to consult your doctor if I have the symptoms that I listed above. I can't call my doc. Should I call a different one???
    Your doctors office likely has someone on call for this type of thing..yes, call them!! They may confer with your own doc and call back or they may make the decision themselves.

Do be careful asking medical questions on the Internet or anywhere other than your own doctor.... He's the one that put you on the pills, He's really the only qualified person to tell you why he did and if you should go off.

Asking anyone on MFP is ..well just not smart... we're not doctors even if someone on here was...it's not OK for them to respond as a doctor in this settings.

I realize that, I planned on calling the ED anyways. First time on meds other than allergy pills, just wanted to see if my side effects were of the norm

• Hearts_2015
    Options

Take care,

I called my doctors office and the on call doctor told me to stop taking them and follow up on my next appointment. Which is Nov. 4th. Still doesnt change that fact that I feel like mierda and I'm sweaty!
    Good job calling in then! Google (a good medical site if you can find one) and see what is suggested for low blood pressure, I can pretty much guarantee you they won't be listing tonight's workout for you. ;o) But rest more than likely and as you've been drinking water...that's probably going to help. You might see how you feel and consider calling his office back on Monday and talking to his Nurse and seeing if something needs to be done before the next appt.

Hoping you feel better shortly!
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Take care,

Take it easy and stay hydrated. If you start to feel worse go to ER.
    I know the BP meds I take warn about getting up too fast and dropping your BP causing dizziness when you first start taking them. Hopefully it's just that.
    Your doc may rethink the dose or type, or just monitor you more frequently without them.
    Good luck!
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Glad to see you called the Dr's office. Hopefully they will be out of your system soon and you will start to feel better (my guess is you may still feel crummy tomorrow though - they don't usually leave your system that quickly unfortunately).
  • unclehammy
    Options
    If my Dr tried to talk me into blood pressure meds (probably the second most over prescribed pills next to Statins) with your blood pressure, I'd be finding a new D who isn't a pill pusher.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    You didn't say what dose, type.
    Most pharmacists can guide you through discontinuation until you can see your doctor.

Lisinopril/ Hydrochlorothiazide
    - 20 mg/ 12.5 mg
    •They're in the same package but diff doses for each day. Don't know what I've taken so far cause its printed on the pill

Propranolol
    - 10 mg tablets

I would like to stop taking them because my short walk from my kitchen to my bedroom caused dizziness when I stood up and I'm sweating again

I take anywhere from 60-100 mg of Propranolol a day for my heart.

Propranolol is known to cause low blood pressure and dizziness. You need to adjust to the medication. The adjustment period is typically a week or two. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water.
  • Miss_1999
    Miss_1999 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    You didn't say what dose, type.
    Most pharmacists can guide you through discontinuation until you can see your doctor.

Lisinopril/ Hydrochlorothiazide
    - 20 mg/ 12.5 mg
    •They're in the same package but diff doses for each day. Don't know what I've taken so far cause its printed on the pill

Propranolol
    - 10 mg tablets

I would like to stop taking them because my short walk from my kitchen to my bedroom caused dizziness when I stood up and I'm sweating again

Damn, it's not a wonder you were sweating profusely. Hydrochlorothiazide is basically a water pill, used to reduce fluid, that's compounded with your Lisinopril, which is an ACE-Inhibitor (and common blood pressure medication), with one of the main side-effects being sweating. I've never taken Propranolol, but I know it's a Beta-Blocker, and has a host of side-effects like what you've mentioned. I'm thankful that you went ahead and called your doctor. Had you not, I would've suggested calling your pharmacist. I've done that before when in doubt about medication that I've just begun and had severe side-effects with. I'm no doctor by any means, but for someone with borderline hypertension, that's a hell of a lot of medication to be on. I used to HAVE hypertension, and was only on 20mgs of Lisinopril. I can't imagine being put on all of that for borderline? It's seriously a miracle something didn't happen to you. Glad you're ok!

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

I realize that, I planned on calling the ED anyways. First time on meds other than allergy pills, just wanted to see if my side effects were of the norm

Yes, those side effects are normal.

If you are still feeling crummy, continue to drink Gatorade (sodium) and also put some salt in your mouth for a couple seconds and then spit it out. It won't taste pleasant but it works. Another natural way to raise BP is to tense up your body and hold for a couple minutes.
  • RUNNING_AMOK_1958
    RUNNING_AMOK_1958 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I'd head to the ER. BP meds are not something to mess around with. I'd make sure it wasn't life threatening.