Replies

• 808Trish808
    808Trish808 Posts: 122 Member
    When u have hypertension like I do and take meds like these:

Generic - Losartan Potassium 100mg, 1 Tablet / day
    Hydrochlorothiazide - 50 Mg - Blood Pressure Meds, 1 pill
    Vintage Pharmaceuticals Inc. - Amlodipine Besylate 10 Mg Tablet, 1 pill
    Generic - Metoprolol, 50 mg Tablet

Then u have to worry... right now i'm working on getting off of some of it. I know part of it is hereditary though...
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,783 Member
    mbailey423 wrote: »
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but if I were in your shoes is seek medical attention.

I'm on BP meds and never have those type of symptoms. 40mg Lisinopryl and a water pill

My husband takes the same thing and they make him have no energy what so ever. Like he could just lay in bed and sleep all day. Everyone is different.

• Yes, those side effects are normal.

If you are still feeling crummy, continue to drink Gatorade (sodium) and also put some salt in your mouth for a couple seconds and then spit it out. It won't taste pleasant but it works. Another natural way to raise BP is to tense up your body and hold for a couple minutes.

I tried the salt thing and my BP is 83/54. I'm literally sitting outside trying to cool off and I'm still sweating a little. I tried sitting in front of the fan but at this point I'm worried more about dehydration. I can only drink so much water. Deff gonna take a trip to the ED if the sweating doesn't stop here in a few. Been sweating for about 5-6 hours, gone through 3 shirts and 60 oz of liquid

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    I am not a doctor.
    But I am a nurse who works in a Dr's surgery.

The BP you mention does not seem high enough to me, as a one off reading, to start medication.
    BP's fluctuate and things like nervousness( eg from going to the doctors) can give slight elevations.
    I would of expected them to do more tests, or at least have consistently high readings, before commencing medication.
    Commencing medication from a one off borderline reading seems bit over reacting to me.

I also doubt that a one off meal of sausages, ribs, whatever, was likely to have had much impact.

You have been taking medication since Wed - so for 3 days?
    - Unlikely to have caused massive drop in your BP in such a short time - but checking it yourself or getting it checked at pharmacy or suchlike seems a good idea, just in case.
    -
    There are so many BP meds out there and is often trial and error to see which ones suits an individual best.
    I would suggest postponing workouts until you are reviewed by a doctor and ringing a health line or a pharmacy for advice if you cannot get to see a Dr over the weekend.
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    could be the meds zapped her of her potassium, doc told me to be sure to up mine while on the pills. i take Hydrochlorothiazide and I cut that sucker into four pieces nowadays, been on them for 20 years. I sweat like a pig even when I type fast, i'm told people with hbp sweat a lot. hope you find something out, but i'm like the rest, when my pressure got down to a little over yours - doc told me he didn't consider it high, but borderline and said "do better with the salt and cut the meds into 4 pieces)
  • tmauck4472 wrote: »
    mbailey423 wrote: »
    Please don't take this the wrong way, but if I were in your shoes is seek medical attention.

I'm on BP meds and never have those type of symptoms. 40mg Lisinopryl and a water pill

My husband takes the same thing and they make him have no energy what so ever. Like he could just lay in bed and sleep all day. Everyone is different.

I was wondering why I didn't want to get out of bed this morning. And I'm a morning person! My dad came over and checked on me cause I was still in bed at 12 noon! I've been sluggish all day
  • When u have hypertension like I do and take meds like these:

Generic - Losartan Potassium 100mg, 1 Tablet / day
    Hydrochlorothiazide - 50 Mg - Blood Pressure Meds, 1 pill
    Vintage Pharmaceuticals Inc. - Amlodipine Besylate 10 Mg Tablet, 1 pill
    Generic - Metoprolol, 50 mg Tablet

Then u have to worry... right now i'm working on getting off of some of it. I know part of it is hereditary though...

Yea that's all bad! I hope you get off a lot of them. Who likes taking medicine?! Esp copious amounts of the same thing. I read on the side effects sheet that boatloads of potassium weren't good while on BP meds. I get a lot of it from my foods yet you take a pill for it?
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    another thing, while taking the meds I left it all up to the meds and my pressure never went down after 15 years. when I started forcing myself to do exercise that I normally don't do, my pressure went down to what yours is. I'm not telling u to do that but I was told by a coach, "what you think is hard exercise and killing you just may save your life". Explore everything with doc.
  • I am not a doctor.
    But I am a nurse who works in a Dr's surgery.

The BP you mention does not seem high enough to me, as a one off reading, to start medication.
    BP's fluctuate and things like nervousness( eg from going to the doctors) can give slight elevations.
    I would of expected them to do more tests, or at least have consistently high readings, before commencing medication.
    Commencing medication from a one off borderline reading seems bit over reacting to me.

I also doubt that a one off meal of sausages, ribs, whatever, was likely to have had much impact.

You have been taking medication since Wed - so for 3 days?
    - Unlikely to have caused massive drop in your BP in such a short time - but checking it yourself or getting it checked at pharmacy or suchlike seems a good idea, just in case.
    -
    There are so many BP meds out there and is often trial and error to see which ones suits an individual best.
    I would suggest postponing workouts until you are reviewed by a doctor and ringing a health line or a pharmacy for advice if you cannot get to see a Dr over the weekend.

I also brought that to my docs attention about me restricting my diet and making better choices cause my family are pork eating fools. I don't care for it but everything they cook has some sort of pork or salt in it. I literally ate a pork product for like a week straight. And if it wasn't pork it's beef. No lean meats. Most of my family members are really skinny. So they don't really watch what they eat how I do. I did start the meds on Wednesday and 12 hours later I was having side effects. I didn't put 2 and 2 together until today. When I first created the post someone suggested that I take my BP. And that was right after my meal and it was 76/49. I chugged Gatorade and swished salt around my mouth and it went up to 83/54. The sweating has stopped but only cause its 56 degrees outside. I can't stay out here forever. Plus it's cold!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    I'd find a new doctor. You should not be put on medication for ONE borderline reading. Now that they've given you the OK to stop taking it, I would do so and then seek a second opinion. In the meantime, monitor your blood pressure on your own so you can go in armed with a history of readings.
  • Thank you every one for your replies and concerns. I was sitting outside to hopefully cool off but I came back in and started sweating again. Decided to take the stairs to get a little cardio in and almost fainted so I'm omw to the ER. I'm not okay with how my body is reacting normal side effects or not. I wish everyone a happy journey and I'm grateful for the knowledge that I gained from you guys. Wish me luck!
  • wallelf1
    wallelf1 Posts: 36 Member
    Please check back in when you can so we know you are ok?
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    136/89 is border-line high. HBP is 140/90 or higher. Not a DR, but I would suggest monitoring your BP on your own (you can purchase a BP cuff for $20-$40 at most drugstores/Walmart/Target, grocery pharmacy). If the meds are causing problems (have you read the disclosures you received from the pharmacy?), discontinue use.

so, are you a doctor to tell OP to STOP taking their meds?

Good catch HotMamaInWorks2.

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Call the doctor. If he's not available, someone should be covering.

Don't call the ED. They can't diagnose you over the phone. They can't answer the "Do you think I should come in?" question, either. If you can't get a doctor, just go to the ED.

I routinely see people give medical advice here that could actually kill the person who asked for help if they followed that advice. It's crazy.

When you get medical advice online, you are FOR SURE getting what you paid for,

Ask your doctor.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    danieb462 wrote: »
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    You didn't say what dose, type.
    Most pharmacists can guide you through discontinuation until you can see your doctor.

Lisinopril/ Hydrochlorothiazide
    - 20 mg/ 12.5 mg
    •They're in the same package but diff doses for each day. Don't know what I've taken so far cause its printed on the pill

Propranolol
    - 10 mg tablets

I would like to stop taking them because my short walk from my kitchen to my bedroom caused dizziness when I stood up and I'm sweating again

I asked my doc this week to put be back on hctz. I was seriously dizzy and couldn't make any fast movements or I felt like I would pass out. Muscles felt a little sore. I was on it before but forgot why I stopped taking them. They also used to give me a wicked cough

Propanalol is a betalocker and it will slow down your heart rate.

Don't try to rush this by going out and being a super exerciser. Takes a few days and a lot of work between you and your doctor to figure out the best mix for you. You are pre-hypertensive. It gets better
  • reginastiffler
    reginastiffler Posts: 75 Member
    Just a general thought... Just because the doctor says to take something doesn't mean you HAVE to. You may be refusing against medical advice, but you still have the right to say no to any medication.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    danieb462 wrote: »
    Thank you every one for your replies and concerns. I was sitting outside to hopefully cool off but I came back in and started sweating again. Decided to take the stairs to get a little cardio in and almost fainted so I'm omw to the ER. I'm not okay with how my body is reacting normal side effects or not. I wish everyone a happy journey and I'm grateful for the knowledge that I gained from you guys. Wish me luck!
    Glad you went to ER. Come back and let us know how you are doing danieb462.