Someone give me a protein powder brand!!

Options
Every time I go to buy online I'm just overwhelmed by the sheer amount to choose from so I end up giving up!

I need about 50g's more protein than I'm already getting daily, Im female, still want to loose weight so nothing that's super high in calories, and something fairly cheap (ish!) but still mixes well.

And, out of curiosity, what changes should I expect once I do start taking it? I've been under my protein goals between 30 - 50g for at least a couple of years, so is anything drastic going to happen? And how long after taking protein shakes daily would I see/feel(?) it?

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Trutein is a good brand, optimum nutrition, I like cellucor as well.

Changes? Nothing. You'll have a better chance of retaining your current muscle while you lose weight getting a good amount of protein. That's all I'd expect from it.
  • haildodger
    haildodger Posts: 181 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition; gold standard. It's 120 calories per 32 grams, and has 25 grams of protein. Like you said though, there are many brands. I've only been using it for a month so I can't speak for the effects that much. I do work out six times a week(3 days cardio/3 days strength) and feel good.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I really like Body Fortress, partially because it is less expensive than some and is available all over (Walmart is the best price). It is also good tasting. I ususally get either chocolate or vanilla and mix a scoop in 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (42 g protein between the two).

58841349.png
  • Freelynaked
    Options
    I use Nectar by Syntrax, it's the best to "ME."
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Muscletech nitro tech is the best tasting chocolate but its expensive (140kcal scoop) its a creatine blend

You can go to gnc and get their natural brand its only 85cal a scoop and tastes.. okay

best tasting vanilla is Pvl (140kcal)

Obviously these are just my opinions o:)
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I like Isopure which is whey protein isolate. It is one of the brands recommended for me to take before and after weight loss surgery. Be sure to get the ZERO or Low carb. It mixes easily with a spoon and tastes fine. Dutch chocolate and vanilla creme are my favorites... both flavors taste great in coffee (not too hot coffee though or it won't mix). I also like to do the dutch chocolate with milk, ice, vanilla extract and a teeny bit of instant coffee... Tastes like a fudgcicle.

Be aware that the container says to use two scoops for 50 grams of protein.. That's WAY too much for me in one serving. I usually either 1/2 or one scoop at a time depending on how short I am on protein. I've been really careful about watching my protein intake and have lost 130ish pounds while having good muscle mass retention.

Isopure can be expensive, but it's on sale at GNC quite frequently and you can combine sales/goldcard/and a coupon there so it brings the price way down.

Good luck.
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've only used Twinlab 100% Whey. The local Rite Aid frequently has a bogo sale on the ten serving pouches at 16.99. I really like the double chocolate, it tastes how I imagine chocolate coconut milk would. The vanilla rush tastes ok alone but is great for smoothies or an addition to baked goods. Hoping they have the strawberry in stock the next go around.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition is the best bang for your buck that's available pretty much anywhere.

I like Smart Powders... house brand of a website by the same name. Flavors are decent and the price is consistently the cheapest I can find.
  • footballfever047
    footballfever047 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I've tried a few ,but my favorite is Performance whey vanilla. It has 55 servings per container and can be found at Costcos.
    Protein 30g
    cal. 140
    sugar 1g
  • Lumpy52403
    Lumpy52403 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard whey. Also, for a plant-based protein, Nitro Fusion is good, although it's a bit gritty, as are most plant-based powders.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Warrior brand, Plant-based raw protein. Gluten-free. Soy Free. Dairy Free. Hypo-allergenic. Non-GMO. comes in Hemp, Rice, and some other form of protein powder. I prefer the vanilla rice protein powder. tastes great to me and keeps me full until lunch.
  • jerarant
    jerarant Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    A few thoughts:

- ON Gold Standards is good, mostly due to the fact that you can get it almost anywhere and cost:quality is very reasonable.

- MusclePharm Combat Powder is one of my favorites. It's a blend of proteins. The taste tends to be on the sweeter side, but I've liked the flavors I've tried so far (cookies n cream, peach swirl, & chocolate milk). I also tend to have less gastro issues with this brand for some reason.

- Syntrax Nectar: If you're looking for a whey isolate, this is the way to go IMO. Great taste, fairly low calories, and perfect mixability. It's a little pricy compared to a whey concentrate, but most isolates are.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I like Isopure which is whey protein isolate. It is one of the brands recommended for me to take before and after weight loss surgery. Be sure to get the ZERO or Low carb. It mixes easily with a spoon and tastes fine. Dutch chocolate and vanilla creme are my favorites... both flavors taste great in coffee (not too hot coffee though or it won't mix). I also like to do the dutch chocolate with milk, ice, vanilla extract and a teeny bit of instant coffee... Tastes like a fudgcicle.

Be aware that the container says to use two scoops for 50 grams of protein.. That's WAY too much for me in one serving. I usually either 1/2 or one scoop at a time depending on how short I am on protein. I've been really careful about watching my protein intake and have lost 130ish pounds while having good muscle mass retention.

Isopure can be expensive, but it's on sale at GNC quite frequently and you can combine sales/goldcard/and a coupon there so it brings the price way down.

Good luck.

ME TOO!! I found that several of the "Smoothie Factory" will sell the large Isopure Jugs for significantly lower than GNC on sale. I buy the vanilla creme, only use one scoop, and mix in frozen berries or a tablespoon of cocoa powder or mix it in my greek yogurt.

• kmariet7
    kmariet7 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Unjury can be bought online and tastes great!
  • renovagirl
    renovagirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Synthrax Nectar - the best!
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    Body Fortress WHEY protein. You can find it at you local Walmart....all different flavors...for about $18.00. It has 30g of protein per scoop.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I have wanted to try Optimum Nutrition. I've only tried brands locally available though (ON is only available online)

Allmax: teeeerrible. Chalky, gritty, need way too much water to make it drinkable. But works fine for baking... mostly.

Pure Protein: I have an isolate one and I actually do like it. It's creamy, shakes well, but I don't love the flavour. I think I am jjust not a big vanilla fan though, so I don't know how I'd like the brand in another flavour. Seems to work better than Allmax for baking/cooking as well.

Body Logix: tried both the isolate (which I don't think they make anymore - unless you buy the knock-off brand which I just saw at a drug store!) and the normal stuff. Prefer it in chocolate, this is what I'm currently using. Good flavour, mixes well, good in baking.

I've tried other brands, can't remember their names though.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I like the optimum nutrition for chocolate, dymatize for fruity flavors like banana cream and cookies n cream, and trutein for baked flavors like cinnamon roll.

All have similar macros.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I like the optimum nutrition for chocolate, dymatize for fruity flavors like banana cream and cookies n cream, and trutein for baked flavors like cinnamon roll.

All have similar macros.

Do all of these brands create similar flavours, and you just prefer how each brand tastes for the specific flavour-types? Or do they not all make similar flavours? I would really love to have more options than just chocolate and vanilla lol. Really need to make an order online!