Someone give me a protein powder brand!!

Options
2»

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I've tried a lot of different brands and flavors. Best flavor by far was Dymatize XL Fudge Brownie. 129 calories a scoop, 24g protein, and if you mix it with milk it's a dessert all on its own.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I really like the MuscleMilk 100 in chocolate. I can get a bag for $27 at Sam's Club. It's 100 cal per scoop, 15g protein and 0 sugar. Blend it with a banana and a little bit of instant coffee and it's an AWESOME post-workout snack.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    What about protein powder that has no artificial sweeteners? My kids currently use ON Natural gold standard, looking for alternatives. They want the carbs and the calories.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    truenutrition.com. Make your own - however you want it.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »

This is awesome, I didn't know you could make your own. Thanks!
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Garden of Life: Raw Meal powder or protein powder. I use this stuff before I go to the gym and sometimes while I'm at the gym and it gives me SO much energy and it's super healthy. It's not the best tasting stuff in the world, but it is one of the best. Sometimes I mix it with Amazing Grass green superfood and magic happens.

I'm also quite fond of the Spiru Tein protein shake mixes. If you want something that tastes great try mixing that as well! When I was 13 I reached my goal weight using this stuff. I gained it back, but that was mostly my fault for not working out and eating school food haha. I prefer not to use shakes for weight loss now, I prefer to exercise, but these are great for energy for exercise as well!
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options

I just took a look, very interesting! I just need to figure out what kind of blend and %'s now.

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I like the optimum nutrition for chocolate, dymatize for fruity flavors like banana cream and cookies n cream, and trutein for baked flavors like cinnamon roll.

All have similar macros.

Do all of these brands create similar flavours, and you just prefer how each brand tastes for the specific flavour-types? Or do they not all make similar flavours? I would really love to have more options than just chocolate and vanilla lol. Really need to make an order online!

They all have your standard flavor then each brand has a few different selections.

ON has banana cream which to me only taste good if it's really cold. They also have cookies and cream which I didn't enjoy.

Trutein has a cinnabun flavor which people rave about.

I'm going to have to peruse bodybuilding.com and see what they have, I really would love some other flavours for baking too.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm using a tub of Designer Whey french vanilla I got on clearance at the grocery store. It's not gritty nasty like the Aria stuff I got at Trader Joe's (same company though, which is odd).
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options

I just took a look, very interesting! I just need to figure out what kind of blend and %'s now.

unless you are trying to do something very specific, I'd suggest keeping it simple. I usually get some whey and the US Milk Protein. The whey is a fast absorbing protein that is great for a pre/post workout drink. The US Milk protein is a great, cheap as dirt, balanced protein for general purpose - since it is mostly casein, ~80% casein/20% whey, it is a slow absorbing protein.

You can blend them seven ways until Sunday, but the expense of the specialty proteins don't provide results that are worth the total cost of those blends. If anything, I'd maybe do a whey/milk protein blend to get close to 50% whey/50% casein which is more similar to human milk than the 80/20 cow milk.

I've made tons of blends in the past, but nowadays, I just go with Microfiltrated Whey Isolate and the US Milk Protein unless I have a really good reason to so something different. I will warn you though, the flavor choices are intimidating! There are SOOO many.

If you decide to buy, here is a 5% off coupon code - MKB939
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    IsoPure.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    The two cleanest brands I've found are About Time and BlueBonnet. Most protein powder has artificial sweeteners and other crap in it. Some even has arsenic and other metals.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're looking for ... I eat several. :smile: I like Fitness Labs 6 protein blend for meal replacement (I mix the chocolate shake flavor with the powdered peanut butter). I often through in a little Manitoba Harvest Hemp powder.

I drink Isopure when I'm working out. I also use Cytosport vanilla for an afternoon snack, mixed with berries. :smile: