supplements?

Options
Just wondering what supplements everyone uses and what works well for bulking?
I'm currently using creatine, glutamine, zma, bcaa, cla, raspberry ketones, omega 3 oils and a multi bit alondside my protein shakes....
Is there anything else that would help make solid lean gains?
Btw I cant use caffeine based pre work outs

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Your diet will need to be right....for whatever your goals are. Supps won't do crap, if your diet is crap.

I think that CLA and Raspberry Ketones are a waste of money.
    Haven't done any reading on ZMA, so not sure there.

Creatine is a good supp, I use him from time to time....
    Glutamine....I can go either way on that, I think you would do better to get a BCAA that includes glutamine.....I use Xtend, by Scivation.
    Fish oils are good, make sure they are quality ones....meaning they have a decent amt. per serving

For me and my supps
    Scivation Xtend (BCAA)
    Scivation Psycho (pre-workout)
    Whey Protein, I like Met-RX
    Omega Oils, using one by Met-RX right now
    Mutlit-Vitamin, I am using Orange Triad, by Controlled Labs, has helped me w/ my joints
  • dmb0011
    dmb0011 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    no point zma for you, its a test booster and a *kitten* one at that. In my experience creatine and fish oil is the only supplements that have any affect.
  • jamandlettuce
    Options
    dmb0011 wrote: »
    no point zma for you, its a test booster and a *kitten* one at that. In my experience creatine and fish oil is the only supplements that have any affect.

Zma help me sleep, I have taken them for years plus women do have testosterone to lol...they are a great supplement for men and women
  • jamandlettuce
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    Your diet will need to be right....for whatever your goals are. Supps won't do crap, if your diet is crap.

Glutamine....I can go either way on that, I think you would do better to get a BCAA that includes glutamine.....I use Xtend, by Scivation.
    Fish oils are good, make sure they are quality ones....meaning they have a decent amt. per serving

For me and my supps
    Scivation Xtend (BCAA)
    Mutlit-Vitamin, I am using Orange Triad, by Controlled Labs, has helped me w/ my joints

That's great
  • jamandlettuce
    Options

For me and my supps
    Scivation Xtend (BCAA)

That's great

My diet is great btw, very healthy and freshly prepared by me....doing better at reaching my surplus now, only way is up
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Nothing really to add, more of a thank you for reminding me about CLA I forgot all about it. I took it years ago and I'm not sure if it helped much as I was doing a bunch of other stuff to but you've reminded me to try it out again as all I'm using right now is protein, so thanks!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I used to spend hundreds on supplements too but most are just a waste of money. The only thing I take now are whey, multivitamins, creatine, and omega 3s. Most supplements come and go because eventually people realize they don't live up to the glossy ads.

As mentioned above, if you want lean gains concentrate on your diet above all and keep supplements to a minimum.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Whey ISO, multivamin for men, fish oil, BCAAs
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Lean gains are made hard work in the gym, rest and nutrition from food sources rather than supplements. With the few exceptions (protein supplements and creatine) there are HARDLY any other supplements worth mentioning that have PEER REVIEWED CLINICAL STUDIES to verify that they work at the recommended dosage the seller states. COST will never equal the actual benefits that many of the sellers claim.
    I learned through spending hundreds of dollars a month for a good period of time (5 years), that supplements didn't do as much as I thought they were supposed to do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • windgriffin
    Options
    using just normal whey, karbolyn post workout, bcaas, pre workout, and a multi if i decide to buy it
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I used to spend hundreds on supplements too but most are just a waste of money. The only thing I take now are whey, multivitamins, creatine, and omega 3s. Most supplements come and go because eventually people realize they don't live up to the glossy ads.

As mentioned above, if you want lean gains concentrate on your diet above all and keep supplements to a minimum.

Same
  • jamandlettuce
    Options
    Thanks guys, think Il stop obsessessing about getting the right supps and concentrate on filling my face
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Creatine works well (bulking or otherwise).

As mitymax says - get your nutrition on point first, then worry about supplements. Also, make sure your training is a good solid progressive loading one.

This is a really good video from Helms at 3DMJ re what supplements are worth taking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tp3ZIFKkLg

I just take a multi (when I remember) and creatine (when I remember). Fish oil is also good, although I do not take as I am a vegetarian.

I use whey but I do not really consider it a supplement.

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    In addition to Sara's reply, check out examine.com to look up supplements and their effectiveness or lack of.
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options

But Dr. Oz says...

• MityMax96
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »

But Dr. Oz says...

:D:D:D
    well he is my go-to source for info.....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

But Dr. Oz says...

Personally I like Mercola....and of course, The Food Babe...

ETA: I just realized that I probably should note that I was not being serious just in case someone actually decided to pay attention to them!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Us old ladies need calcium + Vitamin D (I take Caltrate) and that's it. I haven't seen any research that indicates that I need anything else that I can't get eating a healthy diet.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

But Dr. Oz says...

Personally I like Mercola....and of course, The Food Babe...

ETA: I just realized that I probably should note that I was not being serious just in case someone actually decided to pay attention to them!

• jamandlettuce
    Options
    That's awesome thanks