supplements?

Options

Replies

• Scarecrowsama
    Scarecrowsama Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what supplements everyone uses and what works well for bulking?
    I'm currently using creatine, glutamine, zma, bcaa, cla, raspberry ketones, omega 3 oils and a multi bit alondside my protein shakes....
    Is there anything else that would help make solid lean gains?
    Btw I cant use caffeine based pre work outs

I don't know why you take so many things. I do not know where fit men used to find these supplements 100 years ago.

Get your nutrition from food, as long as you do that you will not have any issues.

Raspberry ketones? Do you even know what a keton is?

The only supplement that has been shown to improve muscle grow is creatine, not any kind of course, the rest are pretty much hype, selling things that you can get from food with an amazing story behind them.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I've been pondering this, too, after my trainer recommended I start using supplements. I already use the EAS protein powder and love it. I don't feel low energy but when I do, I pop a vitamin B tab and feel great after. I dunno. I don't want to dump money into something when it's not necessary.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    JayRuby84 wrote: »
    I've been pondering this, too, after my trainer recommended I start using supplements. I already use the EAS protein powder and love it. I don't feel low energy but when I do, I pop a vitamin B tab and feel great after. I dunno. I don't want to dump money into something when it's not necessary.

Get diet and nutrition on point, before you go throwing money down on supps.
    They have their place, but a proper diet will take you where you need to go.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using creatine, glutamine, zma, bcaa, cla, raspberry ketones, omega 3 oils and a multi bit alondside my protein shakes....

Creatine, Omega 3, Multi. I'm thinking about picking up some BCAA's but havne't made the leap yet. I guess I'm also guilty of falling for the preworkout fad as I take NO Xplode as well...

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options

Creatine, Omega 3, Multi. I'm thinking about picking up some BCAA's but havne't made the leap yet. I guess I'm also guilty of falling for the preworkout fad as I take NO Xplode as well...

BCAAs are only necessary if you lift and remain fasted for a long time after (eg: I lift at 5 am and don't eat my first meal until 11 am or noon). Otherwise, they're not worth the money either.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,408 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I always enjoyed this article on supplements to expand on what sara posted: http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/the-simple-truth-about-supplements/

Personally, i only do a multivitamin and occasionally whey. I was doing creatine for awhile but it tore up my stomach so I quit.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

BCAAs are only necessary if you lift and remain fasted for a long time after (eg: I lift at 5 am and don't eat my first meal until 11 am or noon). Otherwise, they're not worth the money either.

I mainly use them because while I only go to the gym 3 days a week, I never want to leave once i'm there :)

• PwrLftr82
    Options

I mainly use them because while I only go to the gym 3 days a week, I never want to leave once i'm there :)

I could live at the gym. Sigh.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    I think I could too. :D
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »

Get diet and nutrition on point, before you go throwing money down on supps.
    They have their place, but a proper diet will take you where you need to go.

^agreed.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Supplements are largely a huge waste.
    Just eat lean meats, fruits and veggies, nuts, whole grains, and raw dairy.
    And beware the herd looking for something magic as well as the scammer trying to recruit you into his MLM supplement pyramid. .
  • jquijas
    jquijas Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've seen your blogs...You do! :D

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I kind of do. I lift at home. My power cage, bench, barbell and plates are an elegant addition to my dining room furniture!

• PwrLftr82
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »

I kind of do. I lift at home. My power cage, bench, barbell and plates are an elegant addition to my dining room furniture!

No fair! My dining room is my kid's play room :'(
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    On most days I eat in excess of about 3K a day of which only around 400 calories of that is supplements in the form of whey protein powder and creatine. Otherwise, its all food - wonderful wholesome food.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    jquijas wrote: »
    I've seen your blogs...You do! :D

LOL... :P

• MityMax96
    Options

Rub it in why don't ya Sara :D
  • devenfuentes
    devenfuentes Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Lol good one!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    A trainer recommending supplements (with the exception of protein, creatine, a multi and fish oil) is more than likely not well versed in nutrition, but echoing the broscience from his/her peers or hearsay information they really didn't bother researching.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    A trainer recommending supplements (with the exception of protein, creatine, a multi and fish oil) is more than likely not well versed in nutrition, but echoing the broscience from his/her peers or hearsay information they really didn't bother researching.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png