Why do I keep overeating??? What really is the problem.

Options
2»

Replies

• Kiyy
    Kiyy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to thank you for posting this. I have been struggling for over two years now and am just starting to piece together why. This has opened my eyes and given me a new avenue to try in my struggle for getting the old me back. So thanks!

Thanks. I believe it isn't you. I think it is the food. Try this I bet you will see success.

My husband eats all this junk and he never overeats it. So some people just don't get addicted. I don't touch his food anymore because I know what happens to me. I now make a choice if im going to over eat I make sure it is with protein or popcorn. Or i just eat some fresh broccoli and that stops it.
  • cdspark
    cdspark Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    The thing about that is with any other addiction you have to leave it alone. If you are an alcoholic you do not drink, ever or it takes over and consumes your life. We have to eat 3-4 times a day and every time you (IMO) are poking at the bear.
  • Bonta
    Bonta Posts: 2
    Options
    Kiyy wrote: »
    I am really good at exercise but I have had a difficult time getting the diet thing under control. This time I decided to see a shrink about loosing weight. She taught me to talk to my food. Each time im faced with a decision to eat or not eat something ask myself who is in control. that food or me. Next I learned that im an emotional eater and im a food addict. In the past the only way i lost weight was starvation. Balance has been a struggle. so I recently figured out that the largest part of my problem is that I am facing a addiction issue. This article is what I finally learned is happening to me. Now that I understand this I'm finally loosing weight. Its so much easier now that I figured this out. If you are like me than I hope this information helps you. ........................................................................................ ....http://authoritynutrition.com/how-to-overcome-food-addiction/....................................................
    Of course, we all need to eat something. Otherwise we’ll die of starvation. But no one needs to eat sugar, refined wheat flour or any of the modern junk foods that people tend to lose control over. Most food addicts will never be able to eat junk food like “regular” people again. That’s the cold, hard truth. But if they manage to avoid the “trigger foods,” then they should be able to eat healthy and lose weight without problems. The truth is… complete abstinence is the only thing that reliably works against addiction. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you will recover. Although the “everything in moderation” message may work for some people, this advice is a complete disaster for food addicts. When it comes to addiction, moderation fails. Every time.

• Bonta
    Bonta Posts: 2
    Options
    You are absolutely correct! I have finally just realized this for myself. No moderation doesn't work. I loose control and can't get it back. I'm better off with abstinence. The bad food is like a Pandora box. Once it's opened no way back. And I HATE eating and my brain saying stop it while my hands shovel in the food. Yes who is in control? Not me. Well I find now I rather stay in control and its easy to do on the right foods. I try not to eat from the closets. That's where the processed foods are. Fresh or from the fridge. What a WONDERFUL feeling to be back in control. Was so hard to get back my power. I think now that I know I too am a food addict I'll just keep my power and stop the mental anguish.
  • Kiyy
    Options
    cdspark wrote: »
    Thank you for posting these, I'll have to finish reading later, but I have issues with food too. It became a problem after I had kids and then more so after my divorce.
    Just stop eating processed food. wheat, sugar and bad fats. go toward foods in the natural form. look at my foods. i'm not 100% but I took everything out but meat and veggies and added things in after a month of getting clean. I add one thing at a time. If it sends me off the deep end then I don't eat it. When your watching your calories in MFP you can clearly see the calorie savings. Like spaghetti with meat sauce. I replace pasta with spaghetti squash and save tons of calories. Even if I over eat the meat and sauce I don't go over calories for the day. For me I have to add extra garlic to make it good. but try it.
  • Kiyy
    Options
    RodaRose wrote: »
    Thank you for your posts. Marion Nestle is one of the ones talking/ writing about these things.

Thanks I will look her up.
  • Kiyy
    Options
    Kookie215 wrote: »
    I think people have a hard time admitting eating can be an addiction and thats why you are being flagged, ive tried everything just about, even meetings, with very little help. I have tried going to just chicken fish and veggies and i got so bored with my food i wanted to rip my hair out. I have to find a balance in portions not just stop eating good food all together because of an eating disorder. I dont think eating the same amount of veggies that you would eat anything else really helps the problem does it? You're still eating all day, just now its something very low in calories instead.

Give yourself a month. eat only lean meats and veggies and then you should see your appetite change. You will likely start to eat less and be satisfied. Plus yo will be eating healthy food not stuff that makes us sick. Try it.
  • Kiyy
    Options
    Need motivation go rent the movie Fat Sick and Nearly Dead | a Joe Cross Film