gaining muscle mass vs burning fat

Options
is it possible to gain muscle mass and burn fat at the same time ive lost 88 pounds since jan and I wanna try n loose like 10 more pounds but mainly I wanna start building muscle and getting definition is it possible to do both or can I only do one?

Replies

• ailoveme1st
    ailoveme1st Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is a great question I would love the answer to that question! I was always told to do one or the other, to lose the pounds/fat then when you get close to your goal to tone and build muscle?
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I saw that a lot of folks that build muscle chimed in on this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/996906--you-can-t-build-muscle-on-a-calorie-deficit
  • stargazer3000
    Options
    You build muscle and lose fat at the same time. You have to balance your Protein, Carb and Fat intake. Lift weights and increase you cardio to cut the fat. Gain muscle isn't hard, but gaining lean muscle is what you want.
  • stargazer3000
    Options
    You build muscle and lose fat at the same time. You have to balance your Protein, Carb and Fat intake. Lift weights and increase you cardio to cut the fat. Gainng muscle isn't hard, but gaining lean muscle is what you want.
  • gfroniewski
    gfroniewski Posts: 168
    Options
    It is not possible to gain muscle mass and lose fat at the same time. In order to lose fat, your body needs to be in a catabolic state. In order to gain muscle mass, your body needs to be in an anabolic state. This is achieved through proper nutrition, creating the proper caloric surplus or deficit, and proper exercise.

It is possible and recommended to *PRESERVE* your muscle mass while losing fat. Once the fat is gone you will see the muscle you already had more clearly and decide what to do from there. Putting your body in a catabolic state with a caloric deficit and doing intense strength training mixed with proper cardio will get you great results in the fat loss department. Losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time? Doesn't work like that.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    It's possible if you're new to weight training.

Don't listen to other YOLOs saying it's not possible.
  • standoug888
    standoug888 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time? Doesn't work like that.
    ok thanx so should I eat at my maintainance calories or what?
  • gfroniewski
    Options
    What is your goal? Lose fat? Gain muscle? Maintain current composition?
  • standoug888
    standoug888 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I want to gain muscle definition
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    It's very possible to do at the same time. My increasing calf and arm muscles and decreasing belly fat prove it.
  • gfroniewski
    Options
    Eat at a 20-25% calorie deficit of your TDEE. Do strength training 3 times a week and do some intervals as well.

Check out BuiltLean.com amazing site that will really help you out. Lots of articles on all the stuff I am saying.
  • gfroniewski
    Options
    It's very possible to do at the same time. My increasing calf and arm muscles and decreasing belly fat prove it.

You are probably just losing arm and lower leg fat along with your tummy fat, allowing the muscle mass you already had to show. :)
  • TaraLPS
    TaraLPS Posts: 1
    Options
    A great place for those kinds of answers is at Bodybuilding.com. It is a great site for men and women with answers to a zillion different questions. I am starting the live fit series on there right now. It should have all the answers you are looking for.
  • bbbgamer
    bbbgamer Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    start lifting, your body will let you know if you are doing it right. but start lifting!
  • Sarge516
    Sarge516 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    deleted
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options

You are probably just losing arm and lower leg fat along with your tummy fat, allowing the muscle mass you already had to show. :)

Maybe you need to reread. I am GAINING arm and calf muscle. The measuring tape doesn't lie. At the same time, I am losing belly fat. Again, the measuring tape doesn't lie. I never had fat on my calves or arms to begin with, the definition hasn't changed, but the amount of lean muscle I've built sure has.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Eat at a 20-25% calorie deficit of your TDEE. Do strength training 3 times a week and do some intervals as well.

This is too large of a deficit. Eat at maintenance or slightly below, say 300-ish calories. Get on a good bulking program and progress a quickly as you safely can on the amount of weight lifted.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Just curious how you measured your progress. Did your arms and calves increase in size but waist and hips decrease or did your arms stay the same size calves stay the same size but more defined and you lost inches on your waist and hips?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    It's possible in beginners to lifting, but not likely (and it won't be much)

You say you want to gain muscle definition. Definition is achieved just by lowering body fat and uncovering the muscle that you have already. Your best bet IMO would be to eat at a small deficit so you lose fat, lift weights to maintain the muscle that you have, and gradually you'll see more definition.