What Is The Best Way to Start to Learn To Run

Options
I am just getting to a place where I want to run more and more. I have been running on the treadmill and have increased what I am able to do. I need to increase endurance and stamina for running. What is the best way to do this? In the spring I would like to do a 5K run/walk. What advice do you have for me?

Replies

• amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Start running outside. Running on the treadmill and running outdoors are completely different things! If you absolutely cannot run outside for whatever reason, if you haven't been doing this already set the treadmill incline to 1.0 at the very least. If you've been running with the belt "flat" I'd say increase to no more than 1.5 to start and increase the incline as you are able. If you can run outdoors, find a hill - since you're just starting out doesn't have to be huge I'd say 50-60 meters would be a good start and do repeats 1-2x/week. Start with a 10-15 min warm-up and then run up the hill at a manageable but somewhat challenging pace then either walk or do avery easy recovery run back down and start over, start with 2 hills and work up gradually to however many repeats you wish. As you feel able find a longer or steeper hill to run up to increase the difficulty level.

Sprints: Do these at least once a week, I'd say no more than twice a week. warmup as described above and if you have a track nearby, run the entire circuit which is 400m or aim to run as much of the 400 as you can and then take a walk break/easy recovery jog for the next 400, I'd start with maybe 3 sprints to start - aim to go the full 400 on every one before you bring up the number of sets. After you can do a reasonable amount of these at a 400m distance bring it up to either 600 or 800m and start at the bottom of the set ladder and work your way up on these new distances. If you don't have a track you can track your distances on the 'mill.

Go for a 'long' run. You haven't mentioned what distance your runs are so aim for at least one long run per week which is at a slightly slower pace than your shorter runs, since you're a new runner use these to increase your distances weekly by no more than 10% of the distance you've covered so far. so if you run 4K, your long run will be 4.5 and set that as your new distance for the week and on your next long run day or a week later you can go up to 5K and so on and so forth.

After each of these workouts go for at least a 10 min. cooldown jog and obviously follow up with stretching.

You should see some increases in pace and stamina though these will be gradual and may be hard to notice at first
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    This is a really great post.

There is no "right" way but the walk run method is popular and works well.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running#latest
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    just put in the time!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    just put in the time!

Agreed. Slow and steady to increase overall stamina.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    yoovie wrote: »
    just put in the time!

Agreed. Slow and steady to increase overall stamina.

Yup. Out and back from the house. Don't overdo it.
  • PugsMagoo
    PugsMagoo Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K is a helpful app to use if you have a smart phone. It helped me get ready for my first 5K.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Yes... Treadmill meet bin....
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Start slowly! Running is a wonderful exercise, but going too fast too soon can cause injury. You don't want to end up like me, sidelined for a couple months due to pushing myself too much.

The c25k is a great way to get started, but depending on your fitness levels you might need something else.
  • splashtree2
    Options
    lmm2323 wrote: »
    I am just getting to a place where I want to run more and more. I have been running on the treadmill and have increased what I am able to do. I need to increase endurance and stamina for running. What is the best way to do this? In the spring I would like to do a 5K run/walk. What advice do you have for me?

Run outdoor! And raise knees to power up quads add 5 minutes every week and eat carbs so you are on the endurance you need for the 5k