What exactly is "Lifting Heavy" ?

Options
13»

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    does muscle confusion lead to toning JoRocka?

if by toning you mean broken dreams and wasted reps- then yes. LOL toning.

lulz.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I hear woman use both terms EVERY DAY at the gym. Don't think I have ever heard an bros use them though
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    I hear woman use both terms EVERY DAY at the gym. Don't think I have ever heard an bros use them though

Nah, if bro's believed in muscle confusion you wouldn't see them standing in front of the mirror doing a myriad of bicep exercises all the time. Hell, gyms might not even need mirrors if bro's stopped curling so much. lol
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    actually, Jo - muscle confusion is like so totally real.

I get dressed in my workout clothes, bag ready. etc. Walk up to the gym, and turn around and go home. confuses the hell out of 'em.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

Nah, if bro's believed in muscle confusion you wouldn't see them standing in front of the mirror doing a myriad of bicep exercises all the time. Hell, gyms might not even need mirrors if bro's stopped curling so much. lol

But then I'd be the only using the squat rack. It would be so lonely.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »

But then I'd be the only using the squat rack. It would be so lonely.

Ha, well I'm kind of a loner in the gym. I went to do a bench AMRAP last week with 225 and this guy asked me if I wanted a spot. I said no, I have safety bars if I need to bail. LOL!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    heh, that's how I roll too. Just can't get too comfortable with missed reps. ;)
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    heh, that's how I roll too. Just can't get too comfortable with missed reps. ;)

Ha, of course. That was my nice way of saying, "you probably don't know how to spot and I don't want you messing my set up by putting your fingers under the bar and helping." If I wanted that I would do reverse-band bench press instead.

• pipsqueak12
    pipsqueak12 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    itsfatum wrote: »
    Heavier than you are used to. Heavy enough that your muscles get to failure on each set, every single time.
    That's how I see it, no matter what weight I'm lifting.

that's not how this works.

Heavy lifting is a rep range- and is about progressive loading and or long term training for a bigger goal- rather than just endless reps for cardio- or muscle endurance.

Training to failure for EVER lift EVER workout is a recipe for failure and a high way called nogainz.

Guidelines on this - and I repeate GUIDE LINES
    0 reps = too heavy
    1 rep = one rep max/heavy
    1-5= heavy lifting
    5-10 = heavy - and often associated with higher volume training and often associated with hypertrophy.
    10-15 = muscle endurance
    15+ = body pump type classes see this type of loading and often is more about the cardio aspect than the strength aspect.

Either way- pick a goal.
    Then pick a path to the goal.

If the goal is simply to not lose muscle mass whilst losing weight anything 15 and under will get you there- so the whole 8-12 range is good- but not mandatory- if you want to power lift- have at it. There is not a single "RIGHT" or "WRONG" way to do it. But let it be goal driven.

Also quoting for future reference. Thanks