I have hypothyroidism. Would love to add friends that have this as well.

Options
13»

Replies

• ksolksol
    ksolksol Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    A couple of people on this thread were testing normal but at between 3 and 4.5. You might want to know there is some debate on what "normal" is, with some doctors believing it should be .3 to 3.0. I kept testing on the high end of what was considered normal and they kept saying I was fine, even though I had other symptoms -- extreme fatigue, weight gain, dry hair and skin, and thyroid nodules.

So if you are having symptoms, and you're testing high-normal, you might want to seek a second opinion.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    ksolksol wrote: »
    A couple of people on this thread were testing normal but at between 3 and 4.5. You might want to know there is some debate on what "normal" is, with some doctors believing it should be .3 to 3.0. I kept testing on the high end of what was considered normal and they kept saying I was fine, even though I had other symptoms -- extreme fatigue, weight gain, dry hair and skin, and thyroid nodules.

So if you are having symptoms, and you're testing high-normal, you might want to seek a second opinion.

^^^This. A good endocrinologist will adjust your dosage(s) based on both your levels and on symptoms.

You have three treatment options:
    • Armour (dessicated pig or pig & cow thyroid glands)
    • Synthroid (levothyroxine), which is synthetic T4
    • A combination of Synthroid & Cytomel (liothyronine), which is synthetic T3

Endos in the US are highly resistant to both Cytomel & Armour, so it's really important that we educate ourselves and ask questions. It took me a year & a half to persuade my doctor to prescribe Cytomel—even though my T3 was super low. And my quality of life is so much better now. Do not give up!
  • egomezz16
    egomezz16 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello! I too have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism two years ago. I was doing really well on Armour thyroid at 4 gr, Then my doctor said I was hyperthyroid and switched me to Nature Thyroid and lowered the dosage to 2gr. I gained almost 10 pds in a month. I don't feel like I used to but my doctor says it was because Im comparing it to when I was hyperthyroid. I'm so confused and frustrated. Has anyone had a similar experience? Also I went to an endo who put me on synthroid but I felt horrible, so I stopped going.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    My endo's the same way! I tell him I feel unwell, and he tells me I have unrealistic expectations about how good I should feel. Gah! Then he said "I don't know what your problem is, but it's not your thyroid."

My GP found my vitamins D & B12 are super low, so I'm taking supplements. Are you seeing an endocrinologist? Since Synthroid didn't work for you, try Synthroid + Cytomel.
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed by my Naturopath about 4 years ago. I recently switched from Naturethroid to Armour and I really feel like it made a big difference in terms of my energy level and ability to focus. I also recently decided to go gluten-free so this may also have something to do with it; when I told my NP, she mentioned that gluten can inhibit the absorbtion of the thyroid so it could be a combination as to why I'm feeling better. I'm starting anew with my nutrition and weight loss goals as of today -- no gluten and limiting dairy, sugar, and sodium. Feel free to add me!
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I also recently decided to go gluten-free so this may also have something to do with it; when I told my Naturopath, she mentioned that gluten can inhibit the absorbtion of the thyroid so it could be a combination as to why I'm feeling better.

I'm glad you feel better (yay!), but your Nauropath is wrong about any connection between thyroid & gluten.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothyroidism/expert-answers/hypothyroidism-diet/faq-20058554

"Although claims about hypothyroidism diets abound, there's no evidence that eating or avoiding certain foods will improve thyroid function in people with hypothyroidism."
  • edisonsbulb
    edisonsbulb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    annie422 wrote: »
    I was diagnosed about 8 years ago....you can add me :) I'll be honest, I haven't had my levels checked in over a year (bad me!) but I feel great when I take Armour Thyroid. Felt horrible on Synthroid!

Hi Realtree, what were your side effects on synthroid vs. Armour if you don't mind me asking? just starting to look into this and hope to talk to my doctor later today. they automatically prescribed me levothyroxine, but I get the feeling it's their default and not really specific to the patient.

Sorry, I lost track of this board :/ When I was on Synthroid I felt "off", heart racing, shaky, and my hair started falling out. I only went on it because my pharmacy was having trouble filling my Armour....after about 2 months on Synthroid I found another pharmacy that could fill my Synthroid and vowed I would never ever go back!!!!!

I also like Armour much better than Synthroid. I was hyperthyroid before, and Armour seems to take into account that my hypothyroidism is as a result of my radioactive iodine and not a genetic condition I had.

I lose and gain weight like normal when I'm properly medicated.
  • portlandsundevil
    portlandsundevil Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    editorgrrl wrote: »
    I'm glad you feel better (yay!), but your Nauropath is wrong about any connection between thyroid & gluten.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hypothyroidism/expert-answers/hypothyroidism-diet/faq-20058554

"Although claims about hypothyroidism diets abound, there's no evidence that eating or avoiding certain foods will improve thyroid function in people with hypothyroidism."

Interesting! Thanks for the link.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I get my thyroid advice from my endocrinologist, the NIH, and the Mayo Clinic. There's an awful lot of misinformation out there.