What does Onederland mean to you?

Options
Hanfordrose
Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
When I first came to MFP, several folks talked about Onederland. At first, I thought that they had misspelled the word 'Wonderland' and were looking for Alice and the white rabbit. Then, I realized that the term referred to a weight loss goal; but what goal?

In the beginning, I was sure that it mean 'any weight that began with the number ONE'. One hundred and anything certainly sounded good to me. When I started on my weight loss journey in late Novemer, I was 270.9; and I had just lost about 10 pounds. Unfortunately, my surgeon insisted that I lose 70 pounds in order to qualify for my double knee replacement surgeries. So, I made my goal one pound lighter than my surgeon's mark, when I set up my MFP ticker. I chose an initial goal of 199 pounds. In my mind, that was Onederland...anything below 200.

Yesterday, I saw a post that said something about a male member of MFP getting to Onederland; but that man was still over 200 pounds...well over 200. That's, when I saw that he had amazingly lost 100 pounds. That was his Onederland.

Maybe, Onederland has more than one meaning. I'm still not sure. Can there be a Onederland for each of us that is different?

The young lady who is losing weight to get into a wedding dress may see Onederland as the day when she slides easily into her beautiful, white gown and feels like a princess in her own Onederland.

As for me, I am still calling the wonderful weight of 100 and anything 'Onederland'; and I am only 21 pounds away from that goal. Of course, I will have other goals, once I reach that Onederland. My next goal might be reaching that other Onederland...the 100 pounds lost mark. That would be somewhere around 170...not a bad weight for an old lady of 68 years. I got close to that weight in 1979, when I managed to lose down to 175. The rest of my life since that time has been in the range from 240 to 286 as a high.

Oh my goodness! I would have to go back to 1966 to find I last time that weighed 170 or less. That was 47 years ago, and I was only 21 years old. Reaching that weight would definitely be a wonder...or a Oneder!!! :happy:

What is does Onederland mean to you? Maybe, your Onederland is not even associated with a number.

Replies

• cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Like you, my first "onederland" will be when I can hit 199 or any weight that has a "one" in front of it. It has been 18 years since I've weighed anything close to that. I am definitely setting my sights on the other "onederland" - one hundred lost. I find myself often dreaming of what that would feel like. I would feel SO accomplished and proud of myself to FINALLY get to both goals :D

Thank you for helping me remember my "big" goals. I know we will both reach our goals if we keep up all of our hard work and dedication :bigsmile:

**edited for grammar :blushing:
  • pinkgrandmaof8
    pinkgrandmaof8 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    To me it meant being down in the one hundreds, NEVER to see a number 2 at the beginning of your weight again! I can see though where the man was coming from who lost one hundred pounds! That's quite an accomplishment and should be celebrated. Now he has another wonderland to look forward to celebrating!!!!
  • Maridinger
    Maridinger Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I was 235 when started my journey....I am now 169....Hitting 199lbs meant I was on my way to being sexy again. It meant that I was going to be feeling better about myself.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    I was 235 when started my journey....I am now 169....Hitting 199lbs meant I was on my way to being sexy again. It meant that I was going to be feeling better about myself.

You already are a sexy lady. You could be a grown up Alice in your own Wonderland. You are gorgeous, Sis. :flowerforyou:
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to get back to onederland again --199 or less. The sad part is, for years I deluded myself into thinking I had never left there, only to wake up and find myself at 216. My ultimate onederland is 140 or so.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Anything under 200lbs is is ONEderland.. now i am going for oneeighterland...LOL
  • oX_Vanessa_Xo
    oX_Vanessa_Xo Posts: 478
    Options
    Now at 197 lbs I can no longer say I'm over 200 pounds and THAT feels great!
  • kdaughertyfp
    kdaughertyfp Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The first time I heard the term Onederland was on The Biggest Loser and also thought they meant wonderland, then I finally got it. I think of it as being 199 lbs or under. I guess onederland can have multiple meanings. When I lose 100 lbs I will still have a distance to go until I hit the 199 lb Onederland. I am setting my goals on "Onederland" both meanings! :happy:
  • Florawanda
    Florawanda Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    It is good to have sub-goals, especially as you can hit plateaus so easily... I have one where I compare myself either to my lowest measurements ever - or to my lowest measurements since having children. A couple of my measurements have already scored there, which is a big boost! At Christmas time I was yo-yoing in the 180-land, but finally got out of that into the 170 land. And one of the big sub-goals coming up soon, when I get down into 160-land is to have lost 25% of what I weighed!!

And there is the 'wonderland' of being amazed what you can do now you are fitter... I never thought I would be able to consider running... but my first 'run' is very soon now... I won't run all the way, but will run some of it! Pretty good to become a first-time runner at over 70!!

But the best 'wonderland' is when people who haven't seen you for a while come up to you and congratulate you... or sometimes are scared to ask in case your huge weight loss is due to illness... or even don't recognise you!! I treasure all those moments, and when I start reaching for another biscuit, remind myself I don't want to be back like I was.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The only "onederland" that will ever be for me is if I continue to lose after reaching my first goal of 250 and ultimately lose over 100 pounds....down to 214, If I get that far I will be at 103# gone. Sadly I will never see a one in front of my weight, nor would I ever want to as a 73 inch tall male.:drinker: I would look like a cadaver!
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    My Onederland is being able to run 3 miles without stopping.
    Right now, I can't run 5 minutes without stopping. But I'm trying!

My ultimate Onederland though, is seeing that optimistic people like you, Hanfordrose, still exist in the world.
    Thank you for the Onederful paragraph you posted. It made me, and I'm sure others, feel good.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    The only "onederland" that will ever be for me is if I continue to lose after reaching my first goal of 250 and ultimately lose over 100 pounds....down to 214, If I get that far I will be at 103# gone. Sadly I will never see a one in front of my weight, nor would I ever want to as a 73 inch tall male.:drinker: I would look like a cadaver!

That is what I realized with the post yesterday. That man would be healthy and happy in the 200's; but for a short lady like me (5' and maybe 4", though I seem to be shrinking in height too), 200 and anything is too much weight. Our Onederlands have to make sense for us as individuals.

You are do wonderful...in your Onederland. :happy:
  • iquiltoo
    iquiltoo Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Onederland will happen for me in both senses at the same time! I will have lost about 100 lbs when I hit 199. I'll still have a ways to go, probably about another 60 lbs.

Other wonders for me are that I am actually doing about 45 min cardio at the gym, and that even after that, my knee doesn't keep hurting. It's a wonder to me now that I can make a trip through the grocery store without being in agony afterwards and thankful for a 45 min trip home before I have to get out of the car and unload it!
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    It means I get to keep my job in the military! After I had baby #1, it was hard to get back there, but I'm hoping it will be easier after baby #2!
  • Angiehankins77
    Options
    I was in Onederland exactly one year ago and maintained it for about a week! I regained back up to 236#. Onederland to me means bringing sexy back, maintaining and keeping the pedal to the medal! I can almost taste Onederland, restarted my journey this past March at 236, as of today I am 210#. I am fighting my way back there without intentions to stop or ease up this time. Slowly but surely I'm getting there!
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    my goal i s onderland .................under 200- im almost there............
    have like 3 pounds to go
    to me it will also mean that i have lost 10 percent of my body w eight
    and 2 inches off my waist
    and 25 pounds
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    I was in Onederland exactly one year ago and maintained it for about a week! I regained back up to 236#. Onederland to me means bringing sexy back, maintaining and keeping the pedal to the medal! I can almost taste Onederland, restarted my journey this past March at 236, as of today I am 210#. I am fighting my way back there without intentions to stop or ease up this time. Slowly but surely I'm getting there!

My hubbie weighed 236 in November, when I began my weight loss journey. Today, he weighed in at 199.4 pounds. Was he proud? He even called me to the bathroom to watch him step on the scale (naked of course...gotta love him.), so that I could see for myself that he was indeed in Onederland.

Was I upset that he beat me to Onederland? No. I am thrilled, because he has multiple medical issues, including high cholesterol and high blood pressure for which he must take meds. He had an elevated blood sugar a while back. With those kind of problems, his weight is a God sent blessing.
  • hladams8110
    hladams8110 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Onederland for me means I will have lost roughly ten percent of my highest weight ever. It will also be the smallest I've been since I moved to help out my older sister who was very sick with severe depression five years ago. It means that I'm no longer letting losing 3 relatives and going through a bad car accident and a period of severe illness of own consume me anymore.
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Onderland meant no longer being obese, and a goal to never get above again. I knew once I got below 200 that I'd make it a life goal to never let myself get back over it. I don't care if I yo-yo, or let myself go for a bit, if I see 200 on the horizon, I'll kick my butt back into gear like no other. Of course I'm still going to aim to stay in a healthy weight as long as possible, but in my mind onderland is an absolute wall to never cross again.
  • RCottonRPh
    RCottonRPh Posts: 148
    Options
    Onederland initially brought me excitement. Now I am just doing everything I can to break out of the 190s. I seem to be stuck between 192-195 no matter what I do. That being said, I have made a vow to myself to NEVER break the 200 mark again no matter what.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!