What does Onederland mean to you?

Options

Replies

• lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Edited to add that I just hit it last week and on my way outta the 190 decade....
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    It means nothing to me, and its a weird thing to say.
    Sounds like a hippie thing or an old ppl thing to say.
    To each is own, I have nothing against old ppl or hippies
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Oh. Nederland. That's where they do the tulip thing. And lots of dikes.
  • danamariers
    danamariers Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Well I totally made a different assumption :)

I always thought, because it was similar to my own goals and lack of forum-language understanding, was that ONDERLAND meant you were fitting in to clothing that one had one digit instead of two to mark the size :)

Like I started a size 16 pants and look forward to getting to an 8 and then a 7 perhaps
  • rbarragato412
    rbarragato412 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This made me a little emotional because I AM that bride to be! I'll be getting married next November. My onederland is not only being able to fit into that perfect dress, but being healthy to live a long life with my husband to be and future children!

Thank you for your words!
  • sam308lbs
    sam308lbs Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    nothing! i place more emphasis on bf%

20 % - i am average
    15 % - i can take off my shirt now
    12 % - i look good
    8 % - i look like a God
    7 % - intervention time!
  • luckycharm29
    Options
    Onederland to me will be once I am 199lbs and lower.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Hitting 199.8. I've been as close as 200.2 and then I've just been bouncing around 201-204 the past month or so...so close
  • zmvanleeuwen
    Options
    Nederland is 'the netherlands' in dutch.. So to me its 'oh *my country*' lol!
  • WDA4655
    WDA4655 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    When sat down and thought about "What does Onederland mean to me?" my mind went in several different directions. I am not a person who likes to go from point A to point B. I like to take the scenic routes and I like to stop to smell the roses along the way. So I think Onederland could deffinantely mean several different things. I am 58 yrs old and when I started MFP May 15th I weighed in at 324#, today I weighed in at 316.2# and am feeling great. The most I have ever weighed was 375# and I have lost 100# twice in my life time and 75# (due to a misdiagnosed illness). But still I gained 50# of that 75# back after I had my goal bladder taken out. After that I gave up on ever being able to lose and keep it off. So, another Onederland for me would be keeping the weight off that I lose! But like the young man you spoke of, I to have a Onederland of 100. But also, not only being under 100#'s off but 40 to 50 more #. I don't ever remember the last time I weighed under 200# and I'm not even going to think about that one now because I think it will be overwhelming. My Onederland right now is hitting 300# and keeping that off. John, my husband and I will be going away to see our friends this week and then to other friends next week and this has been on my mind for the last few days. Being away from home and possible eating out at times is going to take so thinking through things and eyeing meals so I don't over eat at their house too. One thing is good is that one of my friends is on MFP too. So, I guess you could say that staying the course for the next 2 weeks is a Onederland. Please in your next 2 weeks keep me in prayer and keep me ACCOUNTABLE ladies. I will be bringing my laptop so I can log in and file in my diet and exercise diaries. But I don't know how much exercise I'm going to get in. Any thoughts ladies? I do appreciate them! Well, it is 11:03pm so I'm going to call it a night! Good night to all!
  • katekross
    katekross Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    To me, its the first step to getting to my goal weight :)
  • danielhutchins
    danielhutchins Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    So the last time I was in ONEderland was in 6th or 7th grade. I remember weighing 205 lbs on my 8th grade athletic physical in 1982. I weighed 300+ as a senior in high school. Onederland may be mythical for me.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Does not mean a thing to me. I've done both that you've described in your post... lost 109 pounds and am under 200 pounds (175 right now). I am still not where I want to be and I have a ways to go. I have tummy fat to get rid of and I have toning to do. I feel good about myself but not like I've "made it". Even when I do, I know there will be maintenance as I do not want to get back to where I was. To me, that term (Onederland) means that a person has "made it", and that is far from the truth for me. I still have a LONG way to go!
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Onderland wasn't a place I was looking for. It just happened. Stepped on the scale and I was 198. I hadn't been that low since BEFORE high school. Spent that whole day crying: from the joy, from the long-term denial, for all the wasted life.

Now, Onderland is a place I'm comfortable. I have so much more energy, and even though I have a ways to go yet to reaching my health ideal (roughly 30lbs under my current goal, and maintaining lean muscle) I know I will never leave. Onderland feels good.

:smile:
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    199 on the scale was my ONEderland, and its was GREAT!
  • BozGirl
    BozGirl Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed reading your post and thinking about the question you posed. I originally felt that getting to Onederland meant getting under 200 pounds. But as I am 70 pounds into a 100 pound weight-loss goal, I love the idea of losing 100+ pounds as Onederland as well! I will reach Onederland twice!

I do think it represents something else, something I have recently attained -- ease. Running after my son on the playground without getting winded, throwing on shorts and a tank top without feeling self-conscious, doing some gardening without being in total pain the next day... A sense of ease that I never had when I was obese. Onederland!!
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    i hit ONEDERLAND on december 31, 2012! i hit 199.8 that day! i was so excited, it felt so awesome!!! that was ONEDERLAND to me!

as the above poster said, i will have another "meet" with ONEDERLAND, soon! well, maybe... my goal loss is 91 pounds, which puts me at 155. im 5 foot 10, so, im still considering if i want to go for 145, which would put me at a 101 pound loss... if i do, if i go for the 101 pound loss, then hitting that ONEDERLAND will feel just as awesome as the fist time, if not better!
  • Clovergirl143
    Clovergirl143 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I thought the same thing when I saw so many posts about getting to 'Onederland'. My ultimate goal is to get to 180, in a healthy weight range for my height (according to the BMI scale). I would have to go back to when I was probably 12 years old (To be honest I'm not sure, since I didn't pay attention to my weight at that age) to find when I last weighed that much. I hit the 300-lb threshold when I was 17 years old...

I remember that day like it was yesterday. I went to the doctor (for what reason I don't remember, it could have been a normal check up for all I remember) and they had me get on the scale in the hallway. I took off my shoes, stood up on the scale, and watched in slow motion horror as the doctor moved the weights over past the 280, 290, 300 marks until the scale finally balanced at 312 pounds. At 17 years old I weighed 312 pounds. I cried and felt a little part of me withdraw itself into the recesses of my soul. After that, I shoved that thought away. I shut it out and went into full-blown denial mode. I became an emotional eater; I ate to relieve stress, I ate to relieve boredom, I ate to relieve my growing depression. I ate to cope with the very real rejection I felt at school. I was always the friend, but never the girlfriend. Even my 'friends' would poke fun at my weight. I began to hate myself for the way I looked. I resented myself and would often catch myself berating myself with things like 'Why can't you just stop eating?' or 'What is wrong with you?'. At 18 I started dating a guy exclusively (I weighed 342 when we started dating...I don't think I ever told him how much I weighed) and we dated for a year and a half. We broke up in rather nasty circumstances, and in the following 5 years since our break up I gained 40 pounds to my highest ever weight of 382.

I'm now down to 371.4, but it took some serious realization to wake me up out of my denial. I just turned 25 and realized that I weigh 370+ pounds. Thanks to my wonderful boyfriend encouraging me, I've been on my journey to a healthier life for 8 weeks now :) In those 8 weeks, I've only lost a few pounds, but several more inches, and I've gone down 2 pants sizes.

Onederland is something I don't ever remember being (though I know I was at some point). It seems like a far off place, but a place I *WILL* reach one day. It will be a long journey to get there, but I know I *WILL* make it. My first 'Onederland' will be to reach 299; to be below 300 pounds for the first time in my adult life. I can't wait to reach Onederland :)
  • taylorckt1
    taylorckt1 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    What a question to ponder...I love thinkers/intellectuals & I can tell u r one! In any case, for me, Onderland is that number that I will see on the scale (below 200)...the next Wonderland will be reaching my ultimate goal 135 to 140...can't wait to get there.

Beyond that, I will be in pure Wonder (oneder) if I get married...I'm 40, single, and looking to share my life with someone...sometimes that seems as if it may never happen.
  • kara2
    kara2 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Before I start I want to say I loved your post and all the replies. So inspiring.

Onederland to me means many things. First, It means 100 lbs lost. I have a goal to reach that by October 1. I have lost 63.4 lbs so far. When I reach this "onderland" goal I will be in Hawaii. I will be at 300 lbs, a number I haven't seen in 15 years. My next "Onderland" will be at 200 lbs. That will make it 202.6 lbs lost. I haven't been at this weight in over 26 years. I can't remember what it would look like. My last "Onderland" would be at 150 lbs. That would make 252 lbs lost. I haven't see this weight in 32 years. I was ten years old. I am now 42.

"Onederland: also means to me all the little victories I have had along the way. When I started 120 days ago I could barely walk from my bedroom to the kitchen (which is 5 steps) without having to sit down and catch my breath. Now 120 days later I have reversed my diabetes diagnosis, I have walked a 1 mile race,walked 2- 5K's (with another one on June 1st.), I have dropped from a 6X pant size down to a 3X. I no longer see myself sitting in a wheelchair watching my life go by. I am living my life and accomplishing little goals each day. I wonder where this journey will take me as I live a new lifestyle for the 42 years of my life. I leave with a quote I found on here today "Focus on the results and you'll never see change; Focus on the changes and you will always see the results". Good luck to everyone.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!