Your body knows what nutrient deficiencies you have and craves foods with those nutrients

Options

Replies

• refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    My mum says if you crave ginger, there's a storm coming... or something
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    sugar, also, is more addictive than cocaine,

soooo true.... same goes for heroin

Do you have a study on that because I'm undecided on which I should take ;)...

Also, what does it even mean?

Usually the reference is to a study that shows that rats get as much pleasure from sugar as heroin, but that's hardly the same thing. I've never quit heroin or cocaine (did quit drinking, though), but I know from experience that dropping added sugar and even fruit for a while did not cause any painful withdrawal symptoms or really anything negative. So I'm, shall we say, skeptical.

More significantly, whether something is like cocaine or heroin would seem to me to have less to do with whether it is difficult to stop eating, for whatever reason that might be the case (i.e., coffee IS addictive, and lots of people might have trouble giving up their favorite foods without being addicted, and clearly none of us can give up water), and more to do with the effect of being an addict on your life. I was fat (without being addicted to food, IMO) and think it's quite perverse to compare that to the harm caused by drug addiction.

You do reslize that was sarcasm or did you miss it in your need to go on a diatribe? Of course I dont buy the comparison.

Yes, of course I realized it was sarcasm. I was trying to supplement your point, not argue.

And I wouldn't call it a diatribe, although if you must...
  • GenesiaElizabeth
    GenesiaElizabeth Posts: 227 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Your body will crave what it is ACCUSTOMED to getting. Too much salt - you crave salty snacks. Too much sugar? You crave more sweets and MOST importantly, too many CARBS = EATING MORE CARBS. Don't get stuck in that cycle! More natural, healthy fats and less carbs, people! :smile:

Check out http://www.foodmatters.tv and http://www.hungryforchange.tv for your proof, OP. :wink:
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

Usually the reference is to a study that shows that rats get as much pleasure from sugar as heroin, but that's hardly the same thing. I've never quit heroin or cocaine (did quit drinking, though), but I know from experience that dropping added sugar and even fruit for a while did not cause any painful withdrawal symptoms or really anything negative. So I'm, shall we say, skeptical.

More significantly, whether something is like cocaine or heroin would seem to me to have less to do with whether it is difficult to stop eating, for whatever reason that might be the case (i.e., coffee IS addictive, and lots of people might have trouble giving up their favorite foods without being addicted, and clearly none of us can give up water), and more to do with the effect of being an addict on your life. I was fat (without being addicted to food, IMO) and think it's quite perverse to compare that to the harm caused by drug addiction.

You do reslize that was sarcasm or did you miss it in your need to go on a diatribe? Of course I dont buy the comparison.

Yes, of course I realized it was sarcasm. I was trying to supplement your point, not argue.

I missed the purpose since it seemed to be a direct response to me. Apologies if I overreacted.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

21073.jpg
  • JoannaEngel84
    JoannaEngel84 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    There are lots of peer reviewed articles involving animals eating strange things to supplement nutrient deficiencies...just not so many for us crazy humans.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I used to have an indian buffet deficiency but I cleared that up at lunch time.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Your body will crave what it is ACCUSTOMED to getting. Too much salt - you crave salty snacks. Too much sugar? You crave more sweets and MOST importantly, too many CARBS = EATING MORE CARBS. Don't get stuck in that cycle! More natural, healthy fats and less carbs, people! :smile:

Check out http://www.foodmatters.tv and http://www.hungryforchange.tv for your proof, OP. :wink:

I think he asked for peer reviewed not commercial but some of the food did look good.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    There are lots of peer reviewed articles involving animals eating strange things to supplement nutrient deficiencies...just not so many for us crazy humans.

You should watch My Strange Addiction! >:)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

*shrug*

Doesn't work that way for me. Too much greasy food and suddenly I'm craving salad with vinaigrette and other acidic foods, like pickles. Too much sugar and I want savory stuff. Eat fewer sweet things and eventually I'll be dreaming about cake. >:)

I think my palate just wants variety.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

*shrug*

Doesn't work that way for me. Too much greasy food and suddenly I'm craving salad with vinaigrette and other acidic foods, like pickles. Too much sugar and I want savory stuff. Eat fewer sweet things and eventually I'll be dreaming about cake. >:)

Sounds like pickles and ice cream time! :D
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options

*shrug*

Are you actually asserting that there might be variability among people, and that in fact paying attention to what works for the individual might be most helpful? ;)
  • GenesiaElizabeth
    GenesiaElizabeth Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Nutrients are nutrients! Take them or leave them, up to you. But until you have tried it (getting your essential nutrients from juicing, veggies and natural foods), then you can't say it doesn't work or "I'm just the way I am... I'm an INDIVIDUAL".

While that's true - we ALL still need these nutrients and our bodies still act the SAME way when we eat the junk food (giving in to the "fake" cravings we have). We get fat, tired, lazy, foggy minded and we don't feel how we WANT to feel.... Hence why we are HERE, to make changes to improve our health and physical appearance.

Again, less carbs and more healthy fats.. and of course around at least 100g of protein a day.

I don't really care about commercial vs peer either. I just wanted to share this in hopes someone will try it and see it for themselves. :)
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I don't think I would be able to eat that much protein in one day - nor want to.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

21073.jpg

Heh.
  • Sandigesha
    Sandigesha Posts: 226 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I know for a fact that my body craves that sugary cerials because of vitamin b12 deficiency, and that McDonalds burger because my fat intake was below recommended (unlimited on a bulk for optimal hormone production)
  • lemurcat12
    Options

*shrug*

Same for me. I assume we aren't THAT uncommon, and thus why it's expected that you will have coffee with a sweet dessert and so on. Most people have that "too much" reaction, IME.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    For me the more crap I eat the more I want to eat. Though Im seriously worried about my peanut butter cup deficiency...
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    This thread is hilarious