10 year age difference

Options
Frostbitten007
Frostbitten007 Posts: 84 Member
So, I'm dating this guy 10 years older than me. I'm 23, he's 33. We just started dating 3 days ago. He's nice and all and I really like him. I was wondering if there's too much of an age difference.

Replies

• MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily...it depends on where you are emotionally and where he is...
    Can't say definitively yes/no.
  • La_Malfaisante
    La_Malfaisante Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    If you're happy that's all that matters...I know 23 year olds that are more mature than 40 year olds.
  • johnmurphymfp
    johnmurphymfp Posts: 2,590 Member
    Options
    SOOOOO many variables before we can answer. I'm 52.... if I weren't married... how young could I date?
  • TheBeerRunner
    TheBeerRunner Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    SOOOOO many variables before we can answer. I'm 52.... if I weren't married... how young could I date?

It depends on how much money you have, lol.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    My ex husband was 8 years older than me. Was fun when he'd say about stuff he was doing when he was 18 and I be like dude I was ten....ewww
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    10 years is nothing. You should find one that's 40 years older. Hubba hubba
  • johnmurphymfp
    johnmurphymfp Posts: 2,590 Member
    Options
    Age-schmage... It's all relative. At 33 I'd probably have dated a 23yr old, now at 40 most likely not but I'd definitely date a 30yr old (or a 50yr old for that matter). All moot anyways since I'm married (to an older woman as it happens).

Point being, if he's a good dude and you're happy then just go for it.

EXACTLY - if the two have fun together, love each other... then it's all good. But it really should be discussed in depth.

• CariJean64
    CariJean64 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I'm married to someone 7 years older. My sister is married to someone 8 years younger. Age is just age. Date each other, and see if the age thing gets in the way. Most likely not... but if it does, you'll have your answer.
  • Frostbitten007
    Options
    MSeel1984 wrote: »

Emotionally I'm good. Starting to think about the future career wise and family wise, so is he. He works at the courthouse in a good job. I'm a deli worker at a grocery store. I never finished college as it wasn't for me. So many people don't go to college who are successful so I don't think that matters.

We both have similar ideas for the future. We both want to get married in the future. I just don't want to take things too fast like I did with my last relationship. That can hurt a relationship. I will just see where this relationship will take me.

I do say I am more mature than him. But, statistically women mature faster than most men.

He's a good guy who goes to church and doesn't swear. He treats me well, unlike the last guy I dated.

We are both happy and that's all that matters. :smile:
  • Leanne3552000
    Leanne3552000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My 23 year old friend just moved in with her 33 year old boyfriend. She's never been with anyone so suited to her. If you're both looking for the same thing then age means nothing
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    Options
    You just started dating three days ago...it's a bit early to start picking out a china pattern. Just take it slowly and see how it goes. Ten years isn't a big deal when you are both consenting adults, especially if you are at similar stages in your life.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    you're 23, have fun..date a 33 year old.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Age is nothing. Finding someone that you are compatible with is what counts. Glad you are both happy.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Emotionally I'm good. Starting to think about the future career wise and family wise, so is he. He works at the courthouse in a good job. I'm a deli worker at a grocery store. I never finished college as it wasn't for me. So many people don't go to college who are successful so I don't think that matters.

We both have similar ideas for the future. We both want to get married in the future. I just don't want to take things too fast like I did with my last relationship. That can hurt a relationship. I will just see where this relationship will take me.

I do say I am more mature than him. But, statistically women mature faster than most men.

He's a good guy who goes to church and doesn't swear. He treats me well, unlike the last guy I dated.

I want to date a man who is 10 years older than me. But preferably one who does not go to church and who curses like a sailor.

• Frostbitten007
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

I want to date a man who is 10 years older than me. But preferably one who does not go to church and who curses like a sailor.

To each their own.
  • SuninVirgo
    SuninVirgo Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, you need to finish college. Women aren't more mature than men. Just because he is different than the ex, doesn't mean he is better. The fact that you are asking for advice means you are unsure.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Three days and you've talked about marriage and kids and the future? You need to slow down. I have no problem with the age difference, when I was 26 I dated a 40yo, and I've also dated a guy 8 years younger than me (rawr ;) ). BUT seriously, they all SEEM nice when you first meet them, takes a long time to really find out who someone is. Not saying he's not nice, just that you don't know the man, and you won't until you live through some of life's stressors together.
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    In terms of falling in love, age has no bearing. The heart wants what it wants. It may present a challenge if you are together long term. But who cares?
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    (With apologies to Abbott and Costello...)

You're 40 years old. You're in love with a little girl, say, 10 years old. You're four times as old as that little girl. You couldn't marry her, so you wait 5 years. Now, you're 45, and the little girl is 15. You're only three times as old as that little girl. You wait 15 more years. Now the little girl is 30 and you're 60. You're only twice as old as that little girl. How long do you have to wait until you and the little girl are the same age?

If you're happy with the guy, go for it! Just take your time, and make sure you're good to each other. Sometimes these things do work out. Good luck!
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    10 years is a nice difference. Hell, I'm 36 and even 20 years (eww, not younger) would be acceptable with the right person.