5:2, discuss.

Options
So today is my first day of fasting on the 5:2 diet.

It's the only way of eating that works for me if I want to lower my weight and it's worked before (having lost over a stone and a half this time last year!).

Does anyone else do it or have you done it before? What variations of it have you done? 4:3? 6:1?

Does anyone have any tips for sticking to it and getting through the first 2/3 weeks?

I know, because I've done it before, I can do it again. And I have the support of my other half this time.

Replies

• fluffyasacat
    fluffyasacat Posts: 242 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm doing alternate day fasting, so I guess that's 1:1? I've been doing it since mid August. I eat 25% of my TDEE on even numbered days then 125% on odd numbered days. I work out my TDEE and allotted calories daily with a spreadsheet I made, so as my weight goes down so does my calorie limit. It's working really well! I love that if I there's something I want to eat or cook I can have it, or wait a day and then have it.
  • fluffyasacat
    Options
    The first couple of weeks were rough. I got headaches. I think a little pre-planning goes a long way in those weeks - have a simple chicken and vegetable broth ready in 500ml containers in the freezer so you can have that when you're hungry. Keep the water up, especially on fast days.
  • jamesblood13
    jamesblood13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm doing alternate day fasting, so I guess that's 1:1? I've been doing it since mid August. I eat 25% of my TDEE on even numbered days then 125% on odd numbered days. I work out my TDEE and allotted calories daily with a spreadsheet I made, so as my weight goes down so does my calorie limit. It's working really well! I love that if I there's something I want to eat or cook I can have it, or wait a day and then have it.

That's how I see it - if I really want something to eat, I'll just wait until tomorrow! I'm still going to be logging my days and working up to maintaining an average deficit on my non-fast days, but there's more wiggle room to squeeze those temptations in.
  • fluffyasacat
    Options
    Yeah the "I'll have it tomorrow" thing really knocks the long-term deprivation problem out of existence, and surely that's the number one reason stop sticking to their diets. It works for me too. Almost lost as much as you now - I'm 1.3 stone down so far.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

There's plenty of us on this group!

Sdaly, after the recent upgrade, we lost our previous group history, which was full of great tips, recipes etc. But we are still a very freindly and supportive bunch, happy to answer any queries and give suggestions.
  • jamesblood13
    Options
    Yeah the "I'll have it tomorrow" thing really knocks the long-term deprivation problem out of existence, and surely that's the number one reason stop sticking to their diets. It works for me too. Almost lost as much as you now - I'm 1.3 stone down so far.

Good going! Unfortunately I put all that weight back on over a very gluttonous summer! Hopefully by my birthday in April I will have got down to my goal weight of 74 kilos.

• jamesblood13
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100058-5-2-fasting

There's plenty of us on this group!

Sdaly, after the recent upgrade, we lost our previous group history, which was full of great tips, recipes etc. But we are still a very freindly and supportive bunch, happy to answer any queries and give suggestions.

Thanks! I've just joined!

• kezwbatay
    kezwbatay Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi...I have just started this week and had my first fast day yesterday. I have friends doing it who have so far had success so fingers crossed!
  • fluffyasacat
    edited October 2014
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Not a fan, as it doesn't address the main point of dietary control, and is difficult to do long term.

I'm controlling my diet rather effectively. I just take 48hrs to get through 2 days of TDEE, not 24hrs to get through one. And sticking with it is easier for me than anything I've ever tried. However, if you can't imagine yourself being able to do it, you shouldn't try. It's not easy to succeed at something you've already deemed a failure.

• debbie389
    debbie389 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Not a fan, as it doesn't address the main point of dietary control, and is difficult to do long term.

Please explain your point?

I've found it helps with dietary control. The 2 days fasting encourages you to control yourself, and if you had read any information or looked into it, you would know the other 5 days aren't just a binge fest. Just because you can have what you want, doesn't mean you have it. I find it easier to restrict myself on 2 days than having to restrict myself every day. There are also other health benefits to fasting.

I've been doing it for 5 months, and know people who have lost their weight and are still doing 6:1 to maintain, and have been doing it for a couple of years. I would think that is classed as long term.

I think if it works for you then do it. You have to find something that works for you and that you can stick with.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Disagree. I've been doing it well over 2 years now.

Found it far easier to achieve dietary control both for weight loss and also for long term weight maintenance. 5:2 let me lose the excess weight I had carried around for 20 years and eating in a 6:1 style lets me eat what feels like a perfectly comfortable amount of food spread over the course of a week. I would feel much more restricted eating my weekly calorie allowance spread evenly over 7 days.

It also fits into my lifestyle and training regime very well.
  • wannabeskinnycat
    wannabeskinnycat Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Hi fluffy

That's a great loss! How much and what exercise are you doing? Cheers :p
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Welcome aboard, OP :) I find the flexibility very real-life friendly. I zig zag between different IF protocols as it fits my working out schedule. I roughly combine 5:2 and 16:8. Low carbing just came as a natural consequence of making the FD kcal budget work. To enhance MY weight loss I also restrict carb intake on most of the other days as well. I carb refeed once a week on a higher intensity workout day. I'm insulin resistant, low carbing alleviates that problem.

I've lost almost 8 kg since beg. of September. Wich is a quite aggressive weight loss. It's not something I recommend for all, but it works for MY BODY. The really good thing about 5:2 or any IF pattern is that it helps regulate portion control for many of us. If you go on all out binge on feed days, you diminish or obliterate the deficit. That's just logic, CICO. However, doing IF is very scaleable. You can customize your weight loss just as aggressive or slow as you wish. Trial and error what works for YOUR body.

Good luck :)

Edit: Doing IF eating patterns aren't effortless. You still have to work it, just a different method. Btw, of those 8 kg lost for me, 12 cm less in waist!
  • Froody2
    Froody2 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    It works well for a lot of people, to which I say good for them!

For anyone with an eating disordered past however, it can be very triggering and is best avoided.

For now, I prefer to achieve a deficit through a daily small reduction in calories, which I find much easier to sustain and moderate.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Good point "Frody2" - there is a list under the FAQs on the 5:2 diet website of people who should not follow 5:2

http://thefastdiet.co.uk/michael-answers-frequently-asked-questions/
  • fluffyasacat
    Options

Hi fluffy

That's a great loss! How much and what exercise are you doing? Cheers :p

Thank you! In June I started a new job which is at a large university campus so I spend a lot of the day walking (briskly) between buildings. 10,000 steps a day is an absolute minimum. I also lift and carry a lot of stuff on the job - heavy stuff like wall panels and tables - so I feel like that's really it for my exercise. I might take up boxing or kettlebells over the summer (southern hemisphere) as the students leave the campus and the workload calms down.
  • catceol
    catceol Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think that it is potentially SUPER good. There is a very good BBC documentary on it. I would like to be able to fast two days per week for the rest of my life. It is suppose to be super good for you .
  • fluffyasacat
    Options
    I'm sure some people will thrive on it. To me it's too regimented in what it does, and doesn't teach good eating habits, which would be to understand why you put weight on in the first place - by overeating every day. Getting in the habit of being consistent across the week, rather than going from crash to maintenance, seems a better means of developing good dietary habits to me. I don't honestly think it'll work for most people, and they'll just yo-yo over the years.

That's just a personal opinion, mind, but the OP did ask for discussion.

I see where you're coming from, but IF is not strictly feast and famine. A lot of planning goes into making the 500 (or so) calories you have work out so that you can still function and go to work for the day and be civil to everyone around you! Having said that, I've never personally had trouble with binge eating. My weight came on because I'm getting older, I've had kids, and my (generous) portions served up by my (chef) husband have stayed the same as when I was in my 20s.

The list of people who shouldn't do IF (listed below for those who didn't find it on the posted link) is an important distinction. If you have an unhealthy relationship with food then IF is not for you. Not all overweight people have an unhealthy relationship with food.

Who is advised not to do IF?
    People who are underweight
    Children
    Type 1 diabetics and diabetics on insulin
    pregnant or breast feeding mothers,
    if you have an eating disorder,
    If you are recovering from surgery,
    If you are taking prescribed medications we would advise you to see your doctor first, as you would before embarking on any weight-loss regime.
    If you are feeling unwell or have a fever
    If you are taking Warfarin consult your doctor first as it may increase your INR
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't exactly do 5:2 or every other day fasting (I have modified the concept into my own more flexible approach) but it does work.

Those who say it does not teach good habits, it actually does. If you look at people who are naturally thin, those who tend to "eat everything and stay thin", you would notice that they do indeed eat everything and consume some high calorie options and larger than normal portions.. but if you look closer you would notice that their intake tapers off on some days and goes up on others, naturally. This balances their overall calories.

Any person who is not following a particular diet (and even some of those who do) has varying calorie intakes.

It's a misconception that a person would go over the top on eating days. I actually found myself eating more balanced meals just because I did not have that "you can't eat this much" feeling. Knowing I have the freedom to eat whatever I want in whatever quantity I want makes me less likely to binge out of "hoarding" and more likely to just eat normally. This has been my personal experience, I'm sure mileage may vary,
  • fluffyasacat
    Options
    It's a misconception that a person would go over the top on eating days. I actually found myself eating more balanced meals just because I did not have that "you can't eat this much" feeling. Knowing I have the freedom to eat whatever I want in whatever quantity I want makes me less likely to binge out of "hoarding" and more likely to just eat normally. This has been my personal experience, I'm sure mileage may vary,

^ This!