Clipless Pedals: Are they really worth it?

Options

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    "Scraping mud" or "pulling up" is only a way to introduce newbie riders to using them. If anyone actually rides that way for very long they haven't learned to use the pedal.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Maybe I haven't learned then, but it works, so I don't much care.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ksy1969 wrote: »
    I am thinking of getting a road bike in the spring and everyone that bikes says I need switch to clipped pedals when I do that.

You don't need to, but it makes a huge difference to reducing your fatigue and getting most out of your training.

And from the perspective of a runner, who rides, it makes a big difference to injury risk mitigation as the push/ pull balance helps to alleviate a number of lower leg issues.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Riding with clips vs without clipping in is like night and day. I wouldn't even think about riding any other way anymore. You lose so much power when you're not clipped in...not to mention, when you really start putting in the miles, your feet get pretty tired without the support of a good cycling shoe. Don't get me started on climbing...

I remember being really intimidated initially...took me about one ride around the block and I couldn't believe I had waited so long and was so intimidated by clipping in. I've never had an accident or anything due to clipping in either...they felt pretty natural to me from the get go.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    I suspect the reason why you saw such an improvement in performance was because you were going from crappy flat pedals with running shoes to purpose built cycling shoes with clipless pedals.

Have you ever ridden on a high quality, large aluminum flat pedal with purpose build flat shoes?

Seriously? I know what you are advocating, and while I agree it is a good option, and have used that kind of pedal myself on a mountain bike, to suggest that is appropriate for road cycling is downright moronic. You don't ride a road bike like you would a mountain bike and the power transfer loss of flat pedals is easily measured, even "good ones".

If you're racing, I'd agree with you, clipless pedals are the way to go. However, do you really think the OP needs to get the most out of his power stroke with the road cycling he is doing? I fully understand that cycling dynamics of road and mountain biking are different. If you're riding casually the difference between the two pedal types doesn't make a big difference yet greatly increases the risk of injury.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Also, just to be clear... we are speaking specifically about road bikes and road cycling here. Mountain biking is a different animal.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I would never suggest anyone use a tennis shoe while riding a bicycle. I would suggest they use a quality flat pedal (Wellgo, or similar) and some cycling specific flats (Five-Ten or DMC, etc.).

Ah I get it, you're approaching it from a bmx perspective. Understood now.

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I would never suggest anyone use a tennis shoe while riding a bicycle. I would suggest they use a quality flat pedal (Wellgo, or similar) and some cycling specific flats (Five-Ten or DMC, etc.).

Yep - he's a former mountain biker. Context helps a lot.
  • chivalryder
    Options

I have never ridden a BMX in my life and likely never will.

My background is mountain biking, a lot of it was single speed, where I did ride clipless. I also have a lot of road cycling experience.

If I were competing, I would ride clipless again. However, I would train on flats because clipless hides your pedal stroke flaws. You have to be a better cyclist to ride quickly on flats. You can be lazy using clipless.

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Ok, sorry, not BMX, MTB. Not relevant though.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    Ok, sorry, not BMX, MTB. Not relevant though.

I rode both road bikes and mountain bikes exclusively on clipless pedals.

• glevinso
    Options
    OK so for perspective I am coming from a background in road cycling and Ironman triathlon. Riding with flat pedals is not an option for what I do.
  • chivalryder
    Options
    "Scraping mud" or "pulling up" is only a way to introduce newbie riders to using them. If anyone actually rides that way for very long they haven't learned to use the pedal.

^^^This.

"Pulling up" will lead to knee injury.

It's also the #1 thing you hear from people boasting about riding clipless, saying it improves hill climbing, etc.

The only thing it will do is mess up your legs.
  • glevinso
    Options

^^^This.

It's also the #1 thing you hear from people boasting about riding clipless, saying it improves hill climbing, etc.

I have ridden countless thousands of miles on speedplay pedals. I have never messed up my legs or knees. YDIW if you are messing yourself up with clipless...
  • chivalryder
    Options
    OK so for perspective I am coming from a background in road cycling and Ironman triathlon. Riding with flat pedals is not an option for what I do.

And this I fully understand and respect. I'm not saying "no one should use clipless pedals, ever," but I don't see the OP training to do an Ironman event next year, are you? He looks to me like a casual rider who wants in slowly increase his mileage over time and is is looking to improve his health and fitness.

Clipless pedals are an excellent, specialized tool, like a weight lifting belt. It has a purpose, but casual cycling is not that purpose. It's far too easy to injure yourself using them and they offer very little benefit for someone who isn't racing in them. If anything, it will make you a worse rider because you don't need as much skill to spin in them.
  • glevinso
    Options
    While I still disagree with this, I can at least respect your position. I only say that because the OP bought a "carbon bike" which indicates to me he is at least a little more than a casual rider. The casual rider wouldn't spend the $1000 extra that a carbon bike would cost over a similarly equipped aluminum bike.

As for Ironman events... one for sure on my schedule for 2015, likely adding a second one. Yes I am crazy.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Biggest thing for me being clipped in is that you can rest your quads and use your hammies for extended periods of time if need be.

They will definitely increase your speed, endurance, handling and efficiency.

This, and it also helps with hills. I love them and can't get on a bike without them. It feels like I am one with the bike.

My wife on the other hand, just cant get the hang of them.

• astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    They have pedals where one side is flat and the other accepts clippless shoes. I bought them for my road bike (which I only ride on a trainer for cardio because I'm a chicken!). So perhaps you can try those out by clipping into one pedal and not the other until you get used to it? At my LBS one of the guys there said that, generally, people fall with clipless when they are either stopped or going very slow. All the comments on here seemed to support that. Point is that you probably will hurt your ego more than your body when you fall (I hear everyone does at least once)...

Two years ago, I broke my ankle... No. I obliterated my ankle when I fell off my hybrid in the road. I tried to scale uneven ground and went crashing to the pavement in the middle of traffic. I was in regular sneakers and using flat pedals. I instinctively put my foot down to brace my fall. I was going at least 17mph. The road jarred my ankle and yanked it right off the bone(s). By the end of my tumble my ankle was hanging on by the tendons only. So flat pedals can also be dangerous. I kinna wish I had on clips that day!!! BTW, 9 pins and a plate were waiting for me in surgery that night, along with 6 months of rehab. Oh yeah, and about 50lbs of fat from overeating and not moving!
  • chivalryder
    Options

^^^This.

I have ridden countless thousands of miles on speedplay pedals. I have never messed up my legs or knees. YDIW if you are messing yourself up with clipless...

Yup. I'm not going to lie, I was doing it wrong because I was ignorant to how to do it right. I simply didn't know any better.

But look at it from the perspective of a complete beginner: They don't know any better either, and simply telling them they need to ride clipless is doing it wrong as well. So many people boast that clipless is great because they can "pull up" on the back stroke. I never, ever hear anyone correct this attitude, and any other benefit clipless pedals create is only noticeable in racing format where you're power output is high and that they hide poor cycling form. The latter isn't exactly a benefit, but most people see it at one because "I switched to clipless and now I'm a better rider!" That's like saying "I could drive a Ferrari with all the driver aids on and I didn't crash! I must be a good driver!" Yeah, try driving that car with driving aids, then try to believe you're a good driver.
  • glevinso
    Options
    Like anything, you aren't going to get better just by buying the latest gadget. You have to know, or learn, how to use that gadget. There is a wealth of advantage to be had, but it doesn't come from just simply adding it to your bike and calling it a day.