fav way to cook butternut squash?

Options
124»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    i've never really had it and it's in season and i'd like to try it out. what's your fav way to prepare it and pair it with? :)

I love it in pork or venison stew. It also makes a really good soup. And it's good grilled or roasted.

I read a post on here where someone said they pureed it and tossed it with spaghetti, which sounds delicious. I'm definitely giving that a try soon. My daughter sent me a recipe for butternut and black bean quesadillas that she said were really good. I'm going to give that a try as well.

I'm always looking for new recipes because my plants were going crazy this summer and I have over 20 butternuts in my root cellar.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I JUST tried butternut squash like 2 weeks ago for the first time! The grandma of the little girls I care for brought it over a lasagna and it smelled SO good, but looked so weird. I don't know the exact recipe but it was stuffed with butternut squash and spinach and it was delicious. :D

Ooh, I'm going to Google that. It sounds yummy!
  • ZINAHARTER
    ZINAHARTER Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipes/info. :)
  • billisbig
    billisbig Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like to cut it into chucks and boil it then puree it. then add some sugar or splenda, salt amd pepper depending on your preferences. Its simple sweet and salty and not to bad on the calorie count either
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I made a wonderful sauce for veggies and pasta last night with butternut squash. I cooked the squash on the grill (cut up and put in a glass pan with some water to help steam it) for 50 mins or so and then let it cook. Then peeled it and took the flesh and put it in a blender with 1.5 cups of chicken broth (could use plain water if you like). I added some dried sage (maybe 1/2 a tablespoon?) and blended it up. It was amazing!! Poured it over steamed kale, spinach, mushrooms and onion. Highly recommend the sage flavor, it went great with the butternut squash flavor.
  • squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i've never really had it and it's in season and i'd like to try it out. what's your fav way to prepare it and pair it with? :)

I love it in pork or venison stew. It also makes a really good soup. And it's good grilled or roasted.

I read a post on here where someone said they pureed it and tossed it with spaghetti, which sounds delicious. I'm definitely giving that a try soon. My daughter sent me a recipe for butternut and black bean quesadillas that she said were really good. I'm going to give that a try as well.

I'm always looking for new recipes because my plants were going crazy this summer and I have over 20 butternuts in my root cellar.

that quesadilla idea sounds delicious. i bet it'd make a nice burrito or wrap too. mmm

also jealous that you have a garden/root cellar!
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I am going to spiralize some tonight and use them as noodles....google spiralize butternut squash for more info and pics...can't wait!
  • maria0elisa
    maria0elisa Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash risotto- fry garlic, leek and add mild chili powder when soft. Then add chopped butternut squash + rice + vegetable stock.
    - Really healthy meal, and it's actually a lot less calories than it looks- only 50g rice per person as it swells up really big!
  • talonspiritcat
    talonspiritcat Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Cut in half, scoop out seeds. Into the cavity, butter, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Maybe a TBS of everything but 1/2 to 1 TSP of nutmeg. Of course, adjust spices to personal taste. Roast in foil for an hour or so at 350 (poke with a fork until flesh is soft to your taste). Then I scoop it out and mash it with the sauce. So good...
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    roasted with olive oil and some salt & cinnamon
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,938 Member
    Options
    I used it in a "taco" with miso and maple syrup flavouring and topped it with sprouts and a cilantro mayo. It was pretty good. Could have used a little more maple, but I had cut it in half because I ran out.
  • Bonnie176
    Options
    Saw on TV recently that you can cook whole in slow cooker, then prepare how you like. The worst part of butternut is cutting when raw and this made it look easy! Has anyone tried it?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Bonnie176 wrote: »
    Saw on TV recently that you can cook whole in slow cooker, then prepare how you like. The worst part of butternut is cutting when raw and this made it look easy! Has anyone tried it?

Yes, I saw it on a blog recently and have done it twice now with smashing success. Works great!
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I like it stuffed! Cut it in half, remove and discard the seeds, and scoop a little bit of the insides out (and save for the filling). Roast the halves in the oven with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. In a pan, saute the removed inside bits with whatever you like - I like garlic, onion, bacon, and quinoa - and then fill the insides of the halves with the "stuffing". drizzle with honey and put back in the oven for a couple of minutes. DELISH! :D
  • karenlwashburn
    karenlwashburn Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    There's a restaurant that makes fresh butternut squash filled pasta. They top the dish with some pumpkin nuts and it is so good. That got me for the first time into eating it. I don't cook it myself though. Panera bread's soup with squash is good too and has got me now buying pre-made soups now with it. It's nice because it's kind of sweet and putting some nutmeg, chicken stock in with it reminds me of almost a pumpkin mix.
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Cooking Light has a Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese that is now a family favorite:
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/creamy-light-macaroni-cheese
    I usually make it with some of our backyard pie pumpkins, and cook up some kale on the side.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Here's a tip for cutting/peeling : poke it with a fork a few times and stick it in the microwave for a couple of minutes. It softens the skin. Still doesn't slice like butter, but much easier than unheated squash.
  • kk1084
    kk1084 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE butternut squash! I just started eating it recently as well, but I'm totally boring... I peel, dice, and steam it until it's soft, but still basically holds its shape, and then I lightly salt and pepper it-- YUM!!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I heard a story that an ice cream place found that butternut squash tasted more pumpkin-y than pumpkin but squash ice cream just doesn't sound as good. Butternut squash is a little more orange and a little more flavorful than pumpkin so you can use it any place you would use pumpkin.

I roast my butternut in the oven with a little olive oil and honey drizzled over top. I then mashed it and froze it for my pumpkin pancakes.
  • colleenzlife
    colleenzlife Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I love butternut squash........bump for all the great recipies!